Who's the Greatest Bassist of All Time?

Dwarf lord

Spirit in the Night
Reaction score
We've had vocalist, guitarist, drummer and overall band. I'm supprised no one has asked this before, but who is the greatest bassist of all time? I'm a guitarist, but I love the bass and I'm teaching myself to play on my guitar and I've set my Itunes equilizer to bass booster. So if you can't tell, I'm a huge fan of the bass and I'd like to see your opinions also.

For me, it has to be John Entwistle. For the most part, the bass was normally kept in the rhythm section with the drums to help keep time, but Entwistle really brought it into the forefront and made it a lead instument that could compeat with the guitar.

Bootsy Collins

106277PuXT_w.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootsy_Collins

Nuff said!

- Whirly

Oh, I thought you were commenting on the fact that he's bad. When I needed a few more, I went to my friend and he said Flea was pretty good. So, I'm not sure one way or the other. Sorry.

The fact that you did not list Jaco Pastorius in your poll disqualifies you from even asking such a question. :down

jag

jaguarr said:
The fact that you did not list Jaco Pastorius in your poll disqualifies you from even asking such a question. :down

jag

I was sort of looking for Rock Bassists, but I didn't say it. I could create a whole poll for Jazz bassits.

Dwarf lord said:
I was sort of looking for Rock Bassists, but I didn't say it. I could create a whole poll for Jazz bassits.

I was just answering the question as posed. At any rate, Jaco played his fair share of jazz-rock as well, so my answer still stands. And if you want to be a rock purist about it, no mention of Billy Sheehan? :down

jag

Entwistle, and it's really not up for discussion. The man put the bass on the map. Listen to "My Generation" and "The Real Me" and you'll see why. The only one who really matches up to him is John Paul Jones.

It's not just those. Turn the bass up on any Who song and you'll hear the most intricate bass lines of all time.

He was here for a little while, but my vote would of gone for Cliff Burton

Dwarf lord said:
It's not just those. Turn the bass up on any Who song and you'll hear the most intricate bass lines of all time.

Oh, I totally agree. It's just those two songs that really stick out in my mind when I think of John at his finest. "My Generation" has probably the best bass solo in history.

ANTHONYNASTI said:
Oh, I totally agree. It's just those two songs that really stick out in my mind when I think of John at his finest. "My Generation" has probably the best bass solo in history.

That, for sure, is not up for debate. It inspired my friend to pick up bass and he's now the best bassist on my school.

John Paul Jones was a member of Led Zeppelin. Everyone else on that list wishes they were.

rdh007 said:
John Paul Jones was a member of Led Zeppelin. Everyone else on that list wishes they were.

Led Zeppelin was great, but think of it this way, Ringo Starr was in the Beatles...

Not saying that JPJ wasn't good, but just because he was with a great band, doesn't mean he's the greatest of his craft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"