whose made the most money ?

juggster-rules said:
left out batman 1966 and theres a wonderwoman movie around that time as well. forgot which year.

No Wonderwoman movie but a few pilots were maded as well as a few Tv movies and the series.

Did you adjust the Dc movie ticket sales for the inflation over the years?

As far as how each company is doing on the stock market, Marvel (MVL) is doing about 27.72 a share the Time Warner affiliated DC (TWX) is doing 20.23 a share. If that means anything.

samurai black said:
As far as how each company is doing on the stock market, Marvel (MVL) is doing about 27.72 a share the Time Warner affiliated DC (TWX) is doing 20.23 a share. If that means anything.

The stock market really doesn't have a bearing on this discussion because Marvel and Time Warner are two completely different businesses.

Along with being a comic book company. Marvel's primary business comes from licensing its characters. Also it is on the way to becoming a movie studio also. They also own Toy Biz, which used to primarily focus on Marvel characters. In essence, Marvel's business pretty much solely focuses on Marvel and it characters in various forms (be it movies, comics, toys, etc.)

Time Warner is a vast multimedia conglomerate whose assets include:

Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. (which includes Warner Bros. Pictures, Warner Bros. Animation, Warner Bros. Television, Warner Home Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, Warner Independet Pictures, the CW, WB Music, DC Comics, and Monolith Productions)

America Online (which includes CompuServe, Mapquest, Netscape, ICQ, Nullsoft, SingingFish, Weblogs Inc., Quack.com, various other services and programs).

Time Warner Cable (which includes Time Warner Cable, Road Runner, R News, SportsNet New York, Metro Sports, and various TV stations)

New Line Cinema (which includes Picturehouse and New Line Television)

Time Inc. (which includes Time Magazine, Sports Illustrated, Entertainment Weekly, Country Life, Family Circle, Fortune Magazine, Life Magazine, Money Magazine, Popular Science, People Magazine, Outdoor Life, and numerous other publications)

Turner Broadcasting System (which includes CNN, Cartoon Network, Cartoon Network TOO, TBS, TNT, TCM, TCM2, POGO, the Atlanta Braves, CNN Headline News, CNN International, Boomerang, GameTap, and various associates of those mentioned)

HBO (which includes HBO, HBO 2, HBO Comedy, HBO Family, HBO Latino, HBO Signature, HBO Zone, Cinemax, MoreMax, @Max, ActionMax, OuterMax, ThrillerMax, WMax, 5 StarMax, HBO Films, HBO Video, Picturehouse, and various associates of those mentioned).

Time Warner has to manage a lot of businesses and DC Comics along with its characters are nowhere near the dependence level for Time Warner like it is for Marvel.

someone should adjust the original superman takings for inflation because the value of the money it raised back then will have been huge.

And yes i'm too lazy.

What for? Thats exactly what they made back then. Inflation is really irrelevant since all that money would be gone by now.

Darthphere said:
What for? Thats exactly what they made back then. Inflation is really irrelevant since all that money would be gone by now.

It gives a true indication as to the value of the money back then.

For example say it costs $1 to go to the cinema when superman was made.

Inflation sets in and today it now costs $4 to go to the cinema, as such recent films can see far larger totals gained quicker simply because of this inflation.

Or for another example money was worth more back then if we assume that superman made £300 milllion then and spiderman made £300million now that represents the public giving a far larger nod to superman as their £300 million spent could have purchased far more stuff than the £300 million on spiderman.

Given that we are comparing values of money (as the question was who has made the most money) it unfairly penalises monies earned in the past as their current value is not correctly shown.

Even if the money is gone the question is not "who has the most money now" but "who has made the most money" and if you are going to compare things they should be on the same actual scale hence inflation is very relevant if anyone has any ambitions of doing this correctly.

But as I said i'm just too lazy to do it but I felt the need to highlight to a certain extent that the value of DC's earnings are unfairly penalised.

*edit looking at the figures I think the posted one for superman is inflation adjusted anyway

Don't forget Men in Black... and Men in Black II. They were Marvel movies.

gildea said:
It gives a true indication as to the value of the money back then.

For example say it costs $1 to go to the cinema when superman was made.

Inflation sets in and today it now costs $4 to go to the cinema, as such recent films can see far larger totals gained quicker simply because of this inflation.

Or for another example money was worth more back then if we assume that superman made £300 milllion then and spiderman made £300million now that represents the public giving a far larger nod to superman as their £300 million spent could have purchased far more stuff than the £300 million on spiderman.

Given that we are comparing values of money (as the question was who has made the most money) it unfairly penalises monies earned in the past as their current value is not correctly shown.

Even if the money is gone the question is not "who has the most money now" but "who has made the most money" and if you are going to compare things they should be on the same actual scale hence inflation is very relevant if anyone has any ambitions of doing this correctly.

But as I said i'm just too lazy to do it but I felt the need to highlight to a certain extent that the value of DC's earnings are unfairly penalised.

*edit looking at the figures I think the posted one for superman is inflation adjusted anyway

Honestly I don't think they should be adjusted. This thread is whose made the most money. To figure that out you have to give an accurate amount of money both sides have made to the last penny. If you add money to what DC actually made to cover inflation, then you're misrepresenting the actual amount they made. Atleast thats my opinion.

dascoyne said:
Don't forget about The Punisher

The Punisher and Howard the Duck didn't bomb. The Punisher just wasn't that successful and Howard the Duck wasn't successful at all but broke even at least. Technically, Elektra wasn't a bomb either.

Steel, Superman IV, and Catwoman; those were bombs.

Personally I liked the Punisher myself. I think it actually did pretty well considering it had a very tiny budget and about half the time an action movie is usually given to make.

FadingCB said:
If you add money to what DC actually made to cover inflation, then you're misrepresenting the actual amount they made. Atleast thats my opinion.

Money though is just a number if you don't take into account its value. IF you don't actually take into account inflation THEN you are misrepresenting the ACTUAL amount they made, for the reasons given in the example. $1 dollar today is NOT the same as $1 dollar 30 odd years ago and if you wish to compare things then this should be represented so the comparison is fair.

As said though I think the figures given have been adjusted so its all groovy.

Isnt it a fact that if we adjust for inflation Star Wars would be the biggest box office winner beating Titanic?

Ok, but what movie has actually made the most money? Titanic. Inflation isnt relevant.

Darthphere said:
Ok, but what movie has actually made the most money? Titanic. Inflation isnt relevant.

Uhuh.

I'm not sure if I should be taking you seriously.

I don't think I should be.

Silly cabbage.

When people say, whats the highest grossing movie at the box office, they say, titanic. Not, Gone with the Wind adjusted with inflation.

Darthphere said:
When people say, whats the highest grossing movie at the box office, they say, titanic. Not, Gone with the Wind adjusted with inflation.

The use of the word "grossing" protects them from my criticism as that generally refers to just the nominal value of the money before any workings with it.
(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gross)

Not that I think people actually consider this, but then people are stupid.

But as this was who as 'earned' the most money then it seemed sensible to make it a more accurate comparison and not unfairly penalise dc's biggest success because of when it was released.

Anyway I'm still sure you're being silly for the sake of the sillyness which is good, the world needs the sillyness.

hippie_hunter said:
The Punisher and Howard the Duck didn't bomb. The Punisher just wasn't that successful and Howard the Duck wasn't successful at all but broke even at least. Technically, Elektra wasn't a bomb either.
OK. Let me rephrase that. The Punisher, Howard the Duck and Elektra weren't technically bombs. I just thought they were really, really bad movies that should have been better, and were dumped from the local theaters before I could even finish my popcorn.

Maybe they made up the difference in the overseas market.

six flags(yes there are a few of them) doesnt make nearly as much cash on there dc super hero stuff as islands of adventure does.They also see alot more people in line then at six flags.Keep in mind the ultimate avengers dvd has done extremly well,better then the direct to dvd batman beyond series.Mask of the phantasm did well but still marvels films do better.I also want to point out that marvels sold alot of things,for instance,godzilla.dc's doesnt sell as well and you have to pay attention to the stocks,marvels doing better with all its ventures.Marvel makes more off there sales of right then dc does and have for quite some time.

I also feel that Marvel wins this one. I think the big difference is the characterazation that Marvel brings to the plate. MU characters usually are more than just powerful beings beating up bad guys, they are characters with backstory and you kinda start to care about, that brings in bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"