Why do people think that Superman is dumber than Batman?

Because he is? One of the better choices in the post-Crisis revision was to ditch the rather dumb "super intelligence", which was almost never anything but an excuse for silver age plot devicy-ness without actually being core to the character. Superman just works so much better as a bright, intelligent, but basically normal person. Not a super genius.

I disagree. Superman is pretty much at his coolest sitting in the Fortress of Solitude and doing Krypton Science stuff. His father was a top scientist of an advanced world, for Rao's sake. But I think you could probably approach it like they did in the final pre-crisis Superman/Batman team-up story:

world's+finest+323-27.jpg

world's+finest+323-29.jpg

Superman being more optimistic, detachted, gullible. But super-intelligence is a must. Historically, Batman wasn't a genius, especially not in the Bronze and Golden Age, in the late 80s he became more of an "expert in many fields" but the Bat-Genius stuff started somewhere in the 90s.

But I think the Superman of Reeve, Reeves, Cain, TAS and so on wasn't depicted as that smart, so neither was Batman in most of his non-comic appearances. So I don't think Superman being dumber than Batman is "the publics" impression, more of the comic book fans.

maybe they could/should that show more in the movies? more stronger foes to show how superman would battle with more brain and not only strenght...

Well, that's because some writers are insecure Batman fanboys who can't accept that their hero has no place in the JL.

I'm a huge Batman fan. He's my favorite superhero, so I'm not saying this out of hate for the character. I'm just being objective.

Last edited:
I think his placement in the Justice League is more because of the balance he brings because of how pessimistic and aggressive he is. He's a good contrast to Superman and Wonder Woman, which allows for better storytelling. I think the problem is that a lot of writers don't understand that and they do feel insecure about it, so they feel the need to make him smarter than all the other Leaguers, which he isn't when one is Kryptonian and another has Athena-Goddess-given brains to start with.

Batman comes off better when he realizes he doesn't belong in the JL (like in the 00's animated series) but he is still a part of it when needed because he brings that balance or the human/ mortal side to the JL.

I disagree. Superman is pretty much at his coolest sitting in the Fortress of Solitude and doing Krypton Science stuff. His father was a top scientist of an advanced world, for Rao's sake. But I think you could probably approach it like they did in the final pre-crisis Superman/Batman team-up story:

world's+finest+323-27.jpg

world's+finest+323-29.jpg

Superman being more optimistic, detachted, gullible. But super-intelligence is a must. Historically, Batman wasn't a genius, especially not in the Bronze and Golden Age, in the late 80s he became more of an "expert in many fields" but the Bat-Genius stuff started somewhere in the 90s.

But I think the Superman of Reeve, Reeves, Cain, TAS and so on wasn't depicted as that smart, so neither was Batman in most of his non-comic appearances. So I don't think Superman being dumber than Batman is "the publics" impression, more of the comic book fans.

It started in World's finest comics to make Batman and Superman more equal. Didn't always work and actually in my opinion, led to that comic's cancellation.

Both characters can be very intelligent but have minds that work in different ways because they're different people. Maybe Batman is more analytical and a better tactician. Doesn't have to be a dick measuring contest. They're both great characters.

"Why do people think that Superman is dumber than Batman?"

because people are dumb.......... :loco::woot::woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"