Why does every sword & sorcery movie other than LOTR suck?

I'd love for them to do a Death Dealer film. It is a sword and sorcery book about a barbarian who is possessed by a demonic helmet, and each time he puts the helmet on, he becomes this evil entity that is a good guy but it's taking over his soul and mind each time he puts it on. Only the touch of a virgin can free him from the horned helmet.

The books are epic and amazing at the same time. I couldn't put any of the books down when I began reading them.

Frazetta~Death~Dealer.jpg

If done right I think the Death Dealer could be the next Lord of the Rings in terms of storytelling and epic nature. But even that's stretching it when I think about it.

I knew that pic looked familiar!
tempestfugitcoo9.jpg

Death Dealer is a novel or a comic?

-Morzan

-Morzan

Death Dealer itself started out as a painting by Frank Frazetta(who is amazing by the way). It then turned into a four novels afterwards that are very epic, emotional, and violent.

I'd love for them to do a Death Dealer film. It is a sword and sorcery book about a barbarian who is possessed by a demonic helmet, and each time he puts the helmet on, he becomes this evil entity that is a good guy but it's taking over his soul and mind each time he puts it on. Only the touch of a virgin can free him from the horned helmet.
Sounds like medieval Ghost Rider. If they're gonna do it. I hope they're not gonna screw it like GR. ;)

Art thou all right?

I'm good. Feels like my horned viking helmet is on fire, but I'm good.

king arthur with clive owen could of been better but i stil enjoyed it

Sounds like medieval Ghost Rider. If they're gonna do it. I hope they're not gonna screw it like GR. ;)

I agree. That's why I said they need a director who will take the material seriously and adapt it the way the novel was created. For instance I don't know if I'd have him shoot fire out of his eyes when he puts the helmet on.

If anything when he puts the helmet on he would become more vicious, stronger, and less merciful in battles. While slowly losing his soul to the evil that is in the helmet.

Art thou all right?

I'm good. Feels like my horned viking helmet is on fire, but I'm good.

LOL!

When I read his post, Ghost Rider was the first thing I thought of too.

Where can I find out more about this Dealer character?

LastSunrise1981 said:

-Morzan
Death Dealer itself started out as a painting by Frank Frazetta(who is amazing by the way). It then turned into a four novels afterwards that are very epic, emotional, and violent.
There's comics also.

http://comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=1305
http://comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=11084

Written by Glenn Danzig! I must get these from somewhere.

And it seems like Image Comics started new series this year: http://comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=13112

Those sites don't contain any info about the character :(

Anyone got links that do?

Golden Compass isn't much of 'sword and sorcery'.

Not at all. I'm worried audiences will think it's too much like Narnia and stay away, with the talking bears and the little girl protagonist. If anything it's the opposite, with the anti-religion themes of the novel.

I quite enjoy Willow, Legend and Conan The Barbarian.

If anything it's the opposite, with the anti-religion themes of the novel.

That is exactly what it is. Philip Pullman wanted to write something that was anti-Narnia considering he hates that story so much.

Wow, how do you know so much about these writer relations?
...or are you just messing with us?

Wow, how do you know so much about these writer relations?
...or are you just messing with us?

It's fairly easy to find quotes from Philip Pullman and his stories if you google it. Pullman has been quoted as hating Narnia with a passion. Just do a search with "Philip Pullman hates Narnia" and you should find his quotes on the subject.

Not at all. I'm worried audiences will think it's too much like Narnia and stay away, with the talking bears and the little girl protagonist. If anything it's the opposite, with the anti-religion themes of the novel.

I'll watch it. I've seen lots of talking animal films, but the book is very unique.

But for 'sword and sorcery', I wouldn't go near this one. Daywatch, sequel to Nightwatch, might fit the bill if the damn sword fights weren't only a brief flash.

If Beowulf doesn't deliver I'll rent Stardust. Pirates 3 was a drag for me.

That is exactly what it is. Philip Pullman wanted to write something that was anti-Narnia considering he hates that story so much.

Yes, I've read that from Pullman as well. Makes me laugh when I see some of the more conservative groups attack the Harry Potter series. Golden Compass makes Harry look like an evangelical Christian. :oldrazz:

Yes, I've read that from Pullman as well. Makes me laugh when I see some of the more conservative groups attack the Harry Potter series. Golden Compass makes Harry look like an evangelical Christian. :oldrazz:

Hee hee. Those conservative groups crack me up. They made books against Harry Potter, but everybody's buying Potter anyway.

Was Pullman criticizing the Narnia film, or the books? There are lots of fantastic things in Naria that don't evoke Christian thought.

Hey! How much of Eragon's mythos is similar to Anne McCaffrey's "Dragonriders of Pern" mythos? I'm surprised nobody has tried to bring her work to film yet!

It is boring and lame.:o

Good to know how you feel about LOTR because now I know your opinions are crap kktnx for confirming what I had suspected when you were defending Zac E for Robin and he is a terrible actor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"