Why is it so hard to find someone who takes pride in their work?

We live in the entitlement generation, folks. Everyone is expected to be handed the world, no matter what they do for it. :(

I say blame the parents for making the new generation lazy. Having been born in 1991 in a safe, comfortable environment, I can say that I have done little work to earn my luxurious rewards. At 19, I see that I have to pay my dues for a long time until any relief of an enjoyable career is in sight. Had I not been so pampered, maybe I'd have the patience and ambition to start from small beginnings....nope, i want a big fat pay check right now.:o

Yeah, all those spoiled, pampered brats just refuse to enjoy the fact that they wait tables and do office work for a living. Those stupid bastards. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll continue doing work that matters and that I love doing.

I work full-time at the local Wal-Mart. Only reason I work there is so I can have enough money to get by. I'm a college student, I need all the money I can get. But do I like my job? No. The customers treat us all like crap no matter what. There are a few nice people here and there, but for the most part people don't realize that, while I work at Wal-Mart, that doesn't mean that I AM Wal-Mart. If you're mad at the company, don't take it out on me.

And maybe that's why I'm so bitter about my job, but that's about it. Sure I don't like it, but I'll go to it day in and day out so I can make the money to get by. Hopefully one day I'll have a job that makes more money and that I enjoy a lot more. Just thought I would add something to the mix here (and just get something off my chest that's been there for a while now).

I know what you mean. The thing here is, we're realizing that working a crap job may be better than not working at all, but it's still a crap job. Find people with jobs worth doing and you'll find people with pride in their work.

Yeah, all those spoiled, pampered brats just refuse to enjoy the fact that they wait tables and do office work for a living. Those stupid bastards. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll continue doing work that matters and that I love doing.

Doing a good job doesnt mean you have to like what you're doing. It just means you have to show you'll do a good job in the first place.

I dont understand why people think that if they dont demonstrate they are capable of producing work above par they will receive praise for the work. Reality is that you will grow in any position and have more options if you provide an acceptable product.

To Heretic's original question though I think some of it has to do with the current state of things. Companies laid off in the past 2 years and people are now being asked to increase their own capacity and churn out products with fewer resources. Not to mention there are no perceived rewards. This in turn is burning people out.

In your situation you only had your website to work on. So you were able to focus on making sure it was right. The firm you hired has a designer that focused not only your site but we'll say maybe 100 others uring the time he created it. Whereas 2 years ago they were asking that he focus on maybe 75. Hopefully all companies will see profit margins creep up in the next year which will allow for hiring and reduce the designers load maybe not to 75 again but to 80, and an overall increase in quality. For the short term unforetunately this means quality work will be at an increased premium.

I say blame the parents for making the new generation lazy. Having been born in 1991 in a safe, comfortable environment, I can say that I have done little work to earn my luxurious rewards. At 19, I see that I have to pay my dues for a long time until any relief of an enjoyable career is in sight. Had I not been so pampered, maybe I'd have the patience and ambition to start from small beginnings....nope, i want a big fat pay check right now.:o

I agree with what you said, and have been kind of the same way. Up until we had our child, my parents pretty much gave me everything, and while I did get a job, most of the time they worked me 1 or 2 days a week and that was it. Now I work at a small grocery store here, don't mind my job too much. MY parents still give me, but now moreso my daughter and some to my fiance, nice things for Chirstmas and such *looks at our Xbox/Kinect and PS3*, but its a lot harder than it was way back in the day.

Doing a good job doesnt mean you have to like what you're doing. It just means you have to show you'll do a good job in the first place.

I dont understand why people think that if they dont demonstrate they are capable of producing work above par they will receive praise for the work. Reality is that you will grow in any position and have more options if you provide an acceptable product.

Neither of those has anything to do with taking pride in your work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"