Why no SM3 in Full-Screen?!

What's funny is my dad is this old-fashioned guy...and he always thought fullscreen is so much better and just recently I had to go back to my parent's house and finally show him the difference when I bought him the widescreen version of Ghost Rider(he seems to like that movie, I don't know why though...).

hope this helps explain things:

apects.jpg

i will always prefer widescreen over fullscreen. i want to see as much of the movie as possible. i hate when certain stores like wal-mart carry movies for low prices ONLY in fullscreen. spider-man 1 and 3 were captured well in widescreen, the way its intended... but 2 seems to have gotten shafted... the only part while i'm watching the movie that it becomes noticable for me is when ock says "the power of the sun in the palm of my hand' before rosie dies... in the theatre i KNEW i saw his mouth and on dvd you don't. other than that i cant notice anything...anybody have pictures of comparing full and wide versions of 2?? then again maybe i'd prefer not to know, it'd be just more to bother me while watching it, lol

I've had the displeasure of seeing Transformers in pan-n-scan format, blown-up and on VHS. I didn't think it was good at all, but the cropping (and lower resolution) really kills the size and scope of the film nonethless.

Some films shot in 2.35:1 scope format are shot in the Super 35 format. During shooting, the director and cinematographer mark off the space so that when the film is in post-production (I think the Terminator 2 DVD has an excellent explanation of this process), the 2.35:1 prints are made. But the films shot in Super 35 the way they shoot it, the full-screen version cuts less off the sides while providing a little bit on the top and bottom of the screen. But still that's a significant change compared to the 2.35:1 image. And films that use extensive CGI are hard-matted for the 2.35:1 image, so those end up being pan-n-scanned as well.

One example: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was shot in Super 35, and even that uses pan-n-scan from time-to-time. In the full theatrical ratio, during the opening scene where Harry is practicing the Lumos spell in his bedroom and wakes up his uncle, you can clearly see Harry on the left pretending to be asleep and his uncle checking on him. In the full-screen edition, it seems to pan from Harry to his uncle so that the audience will know what's happening.

One great example for this process is Ben-Hur. The film is shot in even a wider format than 2.35:1 -- 2.76:1! The pan-n-scan process reduces the film to unintelligible gibberish, trust me, once you see that movie in pan-n-scan you'd never go back to foolscreen again.

One great example for this process is Ben-Hur. The film is shot in even a wider format than 2.35:1 -- 2.76:1! The pan-n-scan process reduces the film to unintelligible gibberish, trust me, once you see that movie in pan-n-scan you'd never go back to foolscreen again.

Try and watch a Sergio Leone western on fullscreen, the eye close ups and when he shot something in the foreground on one side of the screen and something in the background on the other shots are completely ruined.

My biggest distinction between WS and FS came with Blade. I had watched the full screen version a few times before I saw it in WS. There was a scene where Blade had set the vampire empaled to the wall on fire and the police came in. In the full screen version we see the police standing in the middle of the room looking around. In the widescreen version, you saw the police in the middle of the screen, but on the edge you saw Blade crawling out through a window. Something I had never seen in the full screen version.

I hate wide screen. All the other Spidey films have had full screen releases, all of them except this one.

Spider-Man 2.1 is in widescreen only too, Spider-Man 3 isn't the only Spidey release that is privy to being released in its original widescreen format only (the Blu-ray releases are in widescreen too). Why are you so surprised at this? You should've been going with the widescreen in the first place.

You see it the way the filmmakers intended it to be, the frame compositions are better and you get a better sense of the drama unfolding. The black bars preserve the entire frame, so actually you're getting more. Some of the studios are foregoing the full-screen method and just releasing the DVDs in their original aspect ratio -- New Line released the Extended Editions of Lord of the Rings in widescreen only, and all of the Pirates of the Caribbean films are available in widescreen. So you better get used to it.

Try and watch a Sergio Leone western on fullscreen, the eye close ups and when he shot something in the foreground on one side of the screen and something in the background on the other shots are completely ruined.

Oooh, good point there.

there is no full screen of SM3 because the film's format is too wide to fit the titles onto a full screen.

I just hate fullscvreen and losing 1/3 or so of the image. I can't believe all those years we're being screwed with full screen format on videos and Tv.

New Line released the Extended Editions of Lord of the Rings in widescreen only

This I've never noticed, and I watch those quite often. I don't even know what's been extended anymore.

Oh boo hoo. You know how pissed off VHS owners were with Star Wars?

160924.jpg

B00006HBUG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

847556d.jpg

I'm not paying full price for a DVD that only has 2/3 of the total picture.

I've had the displeasure of seeing Transformers in pan-n-scan format, blown-up and on VHS. I didn't think it was good at all, but the cropping (and lower resolution) really kills the size and scope of the film nonethless.

How'd you even find that on VHS?

there is no full screen of SM3 because the film's format is too wide to fit the titles onto a full screen.

No, that's not it. When processing the film into a full-screen edition, the people in charge of that not only decide what stays in the 1.33:1 frame, they rerender the main titles for a 1.33:1 format (more often, they shrink them) so that the movie's title is still seen. They've done that for lots of movies, such as Spider-Man 2 and Master and Commander.

The reason Sony foregone a foolscreen edition for Spider-Man 3 because cropping the movies for 4:3 TVs costs money and they want to better promote their Blu-ray releases. At least that's how I see it.

How'd you even find that on VHS?

My college campus shows first-run movies (two times during specific weekends), and the company that they get the movies from sends them screener copies on VHS with occasional watermarking (the end titles are letterboxed, however). Yeah, they still utilize a vastly inferior medium. :csad:

Even though in some cases when the respective movie(s) has been out on DVD before the college campus shows it, they still use the VHS screeners the company sends them. Case in point: Transformers, The Departed, 1408, King Kong and The Chronicles of Narnia.

And yes, they did show Spider-Man 3 too, and that looked horrible in foolscreen.

I hate wide screen. All the other Spidey films have had full screen releases, all of them except this one. That sucks. :csad:

Anyone else annoyed at this?
I don't know. Good question... It would of be good! Oh well...

My biggest distinction between WS and FS came with Blade. I had watched the full screen version a few times before I saw it in WS. There was a scene where Blade had set the vampire empaled to the wall on fire and the police came in. In the full screen version we see the police standing in the middle of the room looking around. In the widescreen version, you saw the police in the middle of the screen, but on the edge you saw Blade crawling out through a window. Something I had never seen in the full screen version.

This happens in Die Hard too.

In the scene when Powell or whatever comes into the building and starts walking back to the elevators. In Pan and Scan you only saw him walking back and changing his mind and going the other way... In widescreen you see a hand holding a machine gun around the corner he is walking to.

Full Screen is awful.

I always why they call Pan-and-Scan "fullscreen" when it doesn't show the full screen?

I was so happy when I noticed this. Finally someone gets brave enough to make the point.

I haven't bought it yet, but I will within a week or so after some travel expenses pass. Mmm, Spidey 3.

-Vaportrail

WideScreen, Animorphic WideScreen, Pan & Scan.

I can watch any movie in any of those formats.....Although I choose WideScreen.

What I really hate is 2:35:1 ratio aspect, the picture is barely there..... All it is, is huge black bars with like an inch of picture....

WideScreen, Animorphic WideScreen, Pan & Scan.

I can watch any movie in any of those formats.....Although I choose WideScreen.

What I really hate is 2:35:1 ratio aspect, the picture is barely there..... All it is, is huge black bars with like an inch of picture....

Buy a bigger telly!

I hate wide screen. All the other Spidey films have had full screen releases, all of them except this one. That sucks. :csad:

Spider-Man 2 was released in full screen? I've never seen one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"