Gwen should have been used more

Cassandra

Civilian
Reaction score
If I'd been making these movies (we can all dream!), I would have introduced Gwen Stacy in Spiderman 2, fleshed her character out a lot so that the audience connected with her and got used to her, and then killed her off in Spiderman 3. I think it would have been great if they'd gone further with the "evil" Spidey thing, and Gwen's death could have given Peter the shock he needed to be put back on the right path, while delivering a massive emotional punch to the viewers.

Gwen's death in the comics is heartbreaking and I feel it's been a real missed oppertunity to put something like this in the movies. Bryce Dallas Howard was likeable enough to have made you feel for her version of Gwen (well, I like her) and I'm always annoyed that she was so underused in the movie franchise. I hear Gwen had more scenes in the original cuts of SM3. I really hope we get to see them one day in any possible future DVD releases.

She was just a supporting character. It's like saying they should have used Flash more or John Jameson more.

And I can't see the death of Gwen Stacy ever happening in a Spider-Man movie, most especially in the current continuity.

They wanted Gwen to be kidnapped in the finale didn't they? I haven't watched both commentaries all the way through yet.

They wanted Gwen to be kidnapped in the finale didn't they? I haven't watched both commentaries all the way through yet.

Yeah, they did. Kirsten Dunst says in the cast commentary that it was supposed to be Gwen in peril at the end instead of MJ, but they changed it. I'm not sure if there was a particular reason as to why, I'll need to listen to that bit of the commentary again.

I really wished that Gwen has been the damsel in distress instead of MJ in the finale.

It would have worked SO much better, especially since it was originally planned that MJ was going to be the one to talk to Harry about helping Peter.

Shame Gwen was so under used. She was a hundred times more pretty, charming, and engaging than MJ.

Shame Gwen was so under used. She was a hundred times more pretty, charming, and engaging than MJ.

Therefore she couldn't be used, otherwise M.J. takes the back seat to life!!

Shame Gwen didn't get naked.

I really wished that Gwen has been the damsel in distress instead of MJ in the finale.

It would have worked SO much better, especially since it was originally planned that MJ was going to be the one to talk to Harry about helping Peter.

ditto

Gwen shouldn't have been in the movie in the first place; along with SandMan.:whatever:

Yeah, they did. Kirsten Dunst says in the cast commentary that it was supposed to be Gwen in peril at the end instead of MJ, but they changed it. I'm not sure if there was a particular reason as to why, I'll need to listen to that bit of the commentary again.

I think it was Raimi who said (in the commentary) that he decided to change it because having Peter and Harry teaming up to "save the woman they both love" was more dramatic.

If the writers had ever been serious about using Gwen from the beginnning, she should have been in the first movie with Doc Ock as the bad guy instead of GG (Ock kills Gwen's dad and she bonds with Pete over their mutual loss of a loved one).

Then, Gwen gets killed by GG in the second film and MJ is introduced to provide hope for Peter and to keep the end of the movie from being too depressing after Gwen's death.

- At least that's the way I would have done it.

They rejected Gwen for the first film, as they felt that she didn't have the same troubled history of parental abuse MJ has. The girl who wears a mask to be popular, thematically. I read that in the official companion book about the film's production.

So years later, they relent. And I'm glad because we wouldn't have the wonderful Dallas Howard in the part. I'm just glad they planted the roots of future films with her character.

They rejected Gwen for the first film, as they felt that she didn't have the same troubled history of parental abuse MJ has. The girl who wears a mask to be popular, thematically. I read that in the official companion book about the film's production.

So years later, they relent. And I'm glad because we wouldn't have the wonderful Dallas Howard in the part. I'm just glad they planted the roots of future films with her character.

You actually sounded like a real doctor there, to a certain extent. :oldrazz:

I would have loved to have seen Gwen the damsel in distress this time too. MJ was in both the other movies.
More Gwen. :up:

Gwen was really underused in the movie (its a shame). and I think it could've worked if she wasn't in the movie at all and saved the character for the forth film.

If anyone should've been used more, it should've been Eddie Brock. I'm not a fan of Venom, but there should've been more confrontation between Peter and Eddie. This way the Spidey/Venom showdown in the end is more exciting to watch. Eddie and Peter only had like 3 scenes. More of those would have been better.

As far as Gwen goes. she should've had more scenes as well. If they would've cut out those stupid dancing and singing scenes, we'd be all set.

I've said this before and I will say it again, this was Gwen's first appearance. I also agree with Blader 5489 about Gwen being jsut a supporting character. Besides, she will probably be used in Spidey4 because didn't Bryce say she was up for the role to be Gwen in Spider-Man 4?

As for her being introdcued earlier in the sries, I though it was great to introduce her in Spidey3. Not only does it make a very good love triangle, but it also adds mroe problems to MJ's character and is one of the things that makes her so interesting in the film. I also though it fit well into "Peter bringing out his dark side".

She was wasted. She should of been in Spidey 1 as Peter's first true love, have MJ as friend (which is why Peter knows her) & killed by GG. Then in Spidey 2 he falls for MJ.

She was wasted. She should of been in Spidey 1 as Peter's first true love, have MJ as friend (which is why Peter knows her) & killed by GG. Then in Spidey 2 he falls for MJ.

I really don't think that works. First of all, you can't kill Peter's uncle and girlfriend in the same movie--that's just too depressing, even for a guilt-driven character like Peter Parker.

But also, one of the nice things to see over over the course of this trilogy is the development of Peter and MJ's relationship, from Peter gawking at her on the bus in SM1 to his dance with her in SM3. If MJ is just a side character in the first movie (like you suggest), then the payoff for them getting together isn't that great.

Like I said before, Gwen was just a supporting character. She had just as many scenes as John Jameson did in SM2, so I wouldn't say she was wasted. She fulfilled her role just as John did. And you have to keep in mind that SM3 was only meant to be her introduction into the series. She really wasn't meant to be a main character, people only treated her as such because of how big a character Gwen was in the comics.

Atleast this didn't turn out to be a thread complaining for more Venom.:dry:

Oh...sorry.

me want more venon! blah blah blah! Carendge 4 spidremen 4!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"