Why the love for a Supergirl spinoff?..

ZIPBAGS

Sidekick
Reaction score
I don't mind the character. But, if they are going to spinoff Smallville. I would rather they do a show based on Green Arrow or GA with Black Canary or even better Green Arrow and the other Justice "leaguers". I think you have a better opportunity for story lines. Supergirl would just be a rehash of Smallville. And even to fans it will get old.

Because whenever another DC character makes their appearance on Smallville, we must invariably champion that character getting a spin-off because that charactrer might actually give us the series we want, a show about a superhero, not an on-again, off-again, on-again, off-again romance between the two main male/female characters.

Easy enough question to answer....the hope that it will end Smallville and allow TW to be Superman in the movies!!! :yay:

I'm all for a Green Arrow spin-off. I'd like another hero to have his own show, someone who isn't apart of the Superman family. I mean Superman and Clark is cool and everything but I want a hero who doesn't have powers, but is a full on hero also. My first choice would be a Batman show, but the movies are much better. So my second choice is Green Arrow w/ Black Canary or other JL members.

I think out of the characters from Smallville I would like to see Martian Manhunter the most.

I believe I saw someone else post about about having some type of Smallville prequel type thing where we see MM as the alien bounty hunter type. That would be really good.

That is one of the heroes I wish they would explore more on the show instead of the little bits here and there we see of him. But I guess the effects are too costly. Hopefully at some point we will get to see a glimpse of the green skinned version or at least some shape shifting abilities. And I still want to know how he ended up on Krypton working for Jor-el?

I don't mind the character. But, if they are going to spinoff Smallville. I would rather they do a show based on Green Arrow or GA with Black Canary or even better Green Arrow and the other Justice "leaguers". I think you have a better opportunity for story lines. Supergirl would just be a rehash of Smallville. And even to fans it will get old.
Heh. You're preaching to the choir, ZB. But spinning off SV isnt a new thing. When you have something that makes a whole ton of money, the desire is, make more. To wit...

Steven Deknight said:
We were talking at one point about a Metropolis spin-off with Green Arrow, Cyborg, Bart and a couple of other characters; some from the Teen Titans, some from just the DC Universe. I would've liked to have gotten into that at some point and explored Bart's real backstory.
- DeKnight wrote Run, and he was the writer/director for Justice

I definitely would love to see a Supergirl spin-off. Personally, I believe she really deserves her own TV series & I'd probably tune in every week to see what's being done with the series, assuming it's anything as good as Smallville. If not Supergirl, it would definitely be interesting to see a spin-off series made for the Martian Manhunter.

I would definitely watch a Justice show. I don't think i'd even watch a show about Kara. I don't mind Kara on Smallville, but the character has no draw for me, besides the fact that Laura is hot. I can watch pretty much any show and get a pretty face.

I would definitely watch a Justice show. I don't think i'd even watch a show about Kara. I don't mind Kara on Smallville, but the character has no draw for me, besides the fact that Laura is hot. I can watch pretty much any show and get a pretty face.

I actually really like the character of Supergirl so if the show is good I'd tune in every week. Now Power Girl would be a show we'd only watch because of her boobies. :cwink:

they should put kara in clark's role in the justice league show, so there would be a superman-esque character in there and also a balance of females if black canary is also there.

4 dudes, 2 birds.

all gravy.

heck even work in her death and have that as motivation to have clark become a proper superhero.

Would've liked a Justice League spin-off, but I don't agree with what DeKnight wrote above in regards to setting it in Metropolis.

I personally think if they did that show it should be in another city. I mean how pissed off would everyone be that not only do we not get to see CK in the suit, Supergirl can fly but he can't, now Superman's city would be protected by everyone but Superman.
No thank you.

But if you place them in say--Central City or whatever I am fine with that.

Maybe I'm just being difficult.

Either way, I would hope that SV gets some type of spin-off once it's gone so we can see some new takes on DC characters.

I definitely would love to see a Supergirl spin-off. Personally, I believe she really deserves her own TV series & I'd probably tune in every week to see what's being done with the series, assuming it's anything as good as Smallville. If not Supergirl, it would definitely be interesting to see a spin-off series made for the Martian Manhunter.

I'd hate to see a spin-off of Smallville's Martian Manhunter basically because he doesn't seem like any incarnation of the Manhunter I've seen. When, in the comics, were MM and Jor-El friends? They should've used the Erradicator or something with actual Kryptonian ties in the Manhunter's role.

green arrow is more likely to make it to the movies

I'd hate to see a spin-off of Smallville's Martian Manhunter basically because he doesn't seem like any incarnation of the Manhunter I've seen. When, in the comics, were MM and Jor-El friends? They should've used the Erradicator or something with actual Kryptonian ties in the Manhunter's role.

As much as I love the show, that seems to happen to DC characters a lot on Smallville.:dry:

It's ok if Smallville tweaks some of the DC characters, I personally would rather have a brand new take on those characters instead of getting an exact carbon copy of the comics version.

It's ok if Smallville tweaks some of the DC characters, I personally would rather have a brand new take on those characters instead of getting an exact carbon copy of the comics version.
I still have no idea why folks haven't figured that out yet. It's not like it's a secret or anything. What does "Reinterpreting the Superman mythology from its roots" mean to these people? :ninja:

I still have no idea why folks haven't figured that out yet. It's not like it's a secret or anything. What does "Reinterpreting the Superman mythology from its roots" mean to these people? :ninja:

:huh: That's a mystery that may never be solved.:ninja:

While i wouldnt mind a SG spin-off since I like the charecter, whose to say that they can only do one spin-off? If they wanted to, they could spin-off multiple charecters into their own shows.

Personally, I don't think I'd watch a SG spin-off unless Tom guest starred but then I'd only watch the episodes he was in.

I like LV but I don't think she's all that special, but then again she's not my type. Her showing up every week in some skimpy outfit fighting bad guys would get old quick for me.

I'd rather see a Green Arrow or JL spin-off, personally.

:huh: That's a mystery that may never be solved.:ninja:

They can reinterpret things that's fine, but some of these characters are "Character A, B or C in name only". It's ok to a point and then they might as well just make up new characters. That's my opinion anyway.

I didn't think it was worth mocking anyone over, but I guess that is also just my opinion.

They can reinterpret things that's fine, but some of these characters are "Character A, B or C in name only". It's ok to a point and then they might as well just make up new characters. That's my opinion anyway.

I didn't think it was worth mocking anyone over, but I guess that is also just my opinion.
You weren't being mocked. But it is confusing to hear people constantly complain about the differences between SV and the comics - "That's not the same character." "How come Bizarro doesn't talk strange?" "'Blank' colored Krytponite doesn't work that way." "Why is Metropolis in Kansas?" And the most recent, "When in the comics were MM and Jor-El friends?" Etc. The show does not and will not follow the comics to the letter. Smallville stays fresh by respecting the mythology without being slaves to it. We've known that since Day One, so I've never understood why any change at all comes as a big mystery. The one sheet for SV reads: "Reinterpreting the Superman mythology from its roots."

This goes for the characters, too.

Half the time you can blame DC for that. Never mind not being able to use "Flash" for Bart - they couldn't even give Clark a white dog because it would look too much like the real Krypto. Many times, the "in name only" works in reverse. Adam Knight, for example. Adam West? Dark Knight? Get it? Was Adam Knight Batman? NO! It was just a nod to the fans.

The other half of the time I think the writers are just using common sense. SV is a live-action show; some comic-based characters wouldn't work in that format w/o being overly ridiculous. For example, would you have rather had a purple imp from the 5th dimension instead of a foreign exchange student? They're also playing to a general audience, not just comic fans.

I realize comic readers can sometimes be miffed by certain changes in characterization, some radically so - Morgan Edge, Dr. Hamilton, Zor-El - just to name a few, but that's the show. And they have DC's blessing in everything they do, especially when it comes to canonical characters. Just sayin'.

I agree with you Pat, but some people are just narrowminded and want everything to be 100% like the comics, forgetting that comics' characters also change thru the years, different writers bring their own vision of things, why would SV be any different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"