WiiFit...Exercise + Game = Sure Fire Hit!

Brainiac 8

Clark Smash!
Reaction score
clear.gif
mainimg.jpg

Launch:
Japan: AVAILABLE (8800 yen ~$80)
US: Early 2008
Europe: Early 2008

The game has just launched in Japan and info is coming in. The Japanese site is up and Gametrailers is rocking tons of videos. The E3 site for the US can be found here.

Some impressions from Japan:

It looks like the breakdown is 9 exercises per category except yoga which has 30.

Each section, Muscle, Yoga, Cardio, Balance has 9 games, 4 of which you can play from the start.

I started with balance and I have played Ski Ski jump so far. Soccer and the monkey ball thing are also unlocked from the start. Other games include, snowboard, Tight rope, Penguin sliding??? Some other thing I cant tell what it is, it looks like a bubble, and then one that has a picture of your mii sitting in front of a candle?

My balance age is 45 :\ My natural stance is right in the middle, but leaning a little to the back. It asks for you to give it a target, like how much you wanna lose or gain, I said 2kg in 2 weeks. It also asks for a password so people can't access your stuff.

Oh, the Wii Board is your guide, and it waves to you lol.

Anyway, skiing is hard, I totally got owned by the first course. Skii Jump is totally fun. The Balance board works flawlessly. It's a lot heavier than I thought. Time to go play.

Okay, I'm done for the day. I did these exercises -

Body Building:
Sit ups: which aren't like I was used to back in school, you rase your legs and your upper body and meet at the middle, I did pretty well, but towards the end I could really feel the burn in my stomach
Push ups: again, it's not just straight push-ups, first they teach you the proper form, (which I didn't know) and they put in these side arm stands in after every push up, alternating left and right. This exercise really got me, it was tough. My arms feel heavy after doing it.
Twisting exercise: spin your body left and right without moving your legs, then do it while bending over. this was easy, but they try to focus more on your balance and rhythm, which...wasn't so easy lol.
Lunges: This was tough also, you put yourself in a front stance, then bend your back knee down and then raise it up, basic level was 10 reps per leg, this was tough.
Walking something or other: You stand in place and then extend your arm and leg to kind of simulate walking\skating, never heard of it before, was kinda easy to do. Another one where they focus on rhythm and balance.

Yoga:
Hero stance: Kinda like a light version of the lunge, Yoga isn't that stressfull so it was kind of a nice way to calm down. This was part of my leg training they had me set for the day.

Balance:
Skiing: This is hard, but fun.
Soccer: HARD ARGGG, I think most people will suck hardcore when they play this for the first time. It's hard getting used to the BB.
Ski Jump: Easy, super fun.
Monkey ball: Starts out easy, gets super hard, but never feels "too" hard.
Tight rope: I fell. You have to walk forward by shifting your balance left and right. It was kinda tough. (unlockable)

Cardio:
Hula hoop: This is the game that will make you look the most ridiculous. So for people who are embarassed by pelvic thrusts, do not try this game.
Jogging: It's kinda weird seeing Hitler wave back at you while you are on a nice afternoon Jog.
Dancing: Awwww yeah, fun as hell.

That's all I'm playing for now, gotta go get lunch.

VIDEOS:

New user videos:
Soccer (Picture-in-picture with the user)
Ski Jump (Picture-in-picture with the user)
Setup
Ski Jump
Tightrope

Trailers:
Extended Trailer
Snowboarding
Jogging
Balancing
Hula Hooping
Ski Jump
Soccer
Aerobics

PICTURES:

cf8699c6f52f5cd775a093b8747af42b.jpg

PREVIEWS:

1UP: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cI...2&sec=PREVIEWS
IGN: http://wii.ign.com/articles/815/815453p1.html
Gamspot: http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/w...&mode=previews
EuroGamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=81819

THE GOODS:

Unboxing video

6u9tuhh.jpg

Wikipedia wrote:
The board is wireless and contains multiple pressure sensors that are used to measure the user's center of mass and body mass index. In an interview conducted by gaming web site IGN, Shigeru Miyamoto stated that the Balance Board's ability to measure weight is probably more accurate than that of a typical bathroom scale.

The weight limit for the Japanese board is 136 kg (~300lbs) however Nintendo has mentioned releasing an "American-sized" board for us fatties.

WiiFit Channel:

Apparently WiiFit will also feature it's own channel, allowing you to look at family stats without loading the game. Small feature, but it's there.

trai_health3.gif

Launch Photos (consisting of soccer moms and nursing home staff):
top.jpg

Personally, I want this game badly now. It just looks too fun and seems to be actually worthwhile fitness wise. :(

hmmmmm I was wondeing about the weight limit.....300lbs will do me fine.......cutting it close though.. (actually I'm down to 265)

Anyway, I'll likely get this anyway....I'll get a discount through work...plus it seems to be another chapter in the Wii Sports vein...which is always good.....

And the hitler thing really intrigues me.

this looks awesome... I'm gonna get it :up:

At first, Wii Fit didn't interest me...but since viewing the previews, I might get one.

I won't be using it in front of many others though. I'm not fat, I'm just not fit...

Well, can't see many gyms being used as often!

I used to go to gym, but now with work & family, I simply don't have the time. It'd be nice to get some exercise at home and have fun at the same time.

Wii Folder has been doing some extensive videos on the different aspects of WiiFit. To be honest I couldn't be more excited about this game, since I agree with Raiden, I have work and a family, plus other responsibilities, so I don't make the gym that often. This is going to be a major piece of equipment I use to keep an excercise regimen going, plus it looks fun.

Here you go:

Balance games part 1:
http://revver.com/video/514734/wii-fit-balance-games-video-tour-1/

Balance games part 2:
http://revver.com/video/518340/wii-fit-balance-games-video-tour-2/

Muscle Strength and aerobics excercises:
http://revver.com/video/530674/wii-fit-muscle-strength-video-tour/

Yoga excercises:
http://revver.com/video/577474/wii-fit-yoga-video-tour/

I honestly can't wait. These are some great videos and give a bunch of info on how the system works for WiiFit. :up: :woot:

Already sold over 1 million in Japan. :)

after seeing the videos I have decided that I am definatly gonna get this

It comes out on May 19, price TBA but will be under $100.

Reggie told IGN that 10 games are in development that will use the Wii Balance Board!

It comes out on May 19, price TBA but will be under $100.

Reggie told IGN that 10 games are in development that will use the Wii Balance Board!

May 19? Awesome. :up: Between Wii Fit, Brawl, and Mario Kart, 2008 seems to shape up to be a good year for Wii.

Who knows...I think it looks fun, and my wife and daughter both want it.

Heck I already have that Boom Blox, and Mario Kart pre-ordered. :up:

$90 brand new games cost almost that in the u.k anyway ill be getting this not just for wiifit but also for we ski which looks amazing

I actually find it funny that people grip about paying extra money for a casual game with a major peripheral included, then at the same time drop as much on Guitar Hero...which is pretty much the same thing, a casual game that you pay extra for because of the peripheral that comes with it.

ye but the guitar hero peripheral is only useful for that one game, the balance board will be for more....its use in we ski looks amazing

On top of that, both Nintendo and third parties have mentioned several titles that will be making use of the Balance Board. Heck, even Square said they are looking into using it.

IGN had a great article about this game and alot of gaming experts are saying.. this is the game to beat this year. i cant wait to play this now.....go on www.ign.com for all that gaming info... they have video of people playing it too...... that is what sold me and makes me want it more n more, the more i hear about it

Looks and sounds pretty interesting and a nice addition to anyone's workout plan/routine.

On top of that, both Nintendo and third parties have mentioned several titles that will be making use of the Balance Board. Heck, even Square said they are looking into using it.

Yeah, this is what makes this board worthy to spend $90 on.

hmmmm should be cool

i would like to further tone down my ~145 body

Got it this morning, and had about an hours worth of playing time on it so far. It is really good, despite a few bugs with the board. Don't get me wrong, it works just fine, but as the game heavily relies on centre of gravity for most readings, the results can be a little interesting. For instance, when begining and setting up my profile my weight came in at 13st. As I don't own a set of scales, I couldn't be sure, but I knew that the I would weigh moe than the last time I was weighed (11 stone) but this surprised me. However, after 54 minutes of excercise time, the body test told me I had lost 3lbs (I have a high metabolism but that is ridiculous!).

I found some things to be easy to do, and others really hard and I think that is what most people are going to be like when they first start. It all depends on your own indivdual strengths and weakness. As I have a slight limp and favour my right leg, the balance games are difficult for me, but the aerobics is a breeze. The muscle training and yoga I plan to get the most out of. It's nice that what is unlocked when you begin the game is a mixture of hard and easy excercises in both of these sections. You actually feel like you are accomplishing something right away. I am pleased with the game and board for the cost, but I couldn't give it a final rating until I see how it affects me in the long run!......

DAMN!!!! i missed out on getting one by about 20 seconds, customer b4 got one...everywher else i went had sold out NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"