Will Marvel Studios make a film than is grounded in reality?

rgaona07

Civilian
Reaction score
Seeing as Christopher Nolan's Batman interpretation has been critically and financially acclaimed, I was wondering if Marvel Studios would try to use that same mentality for one of their future superhero franchises. What do you all think?

If your reasoning is critical and financial acclaim, then I'm pretty sure Marvel has that down without needing to ground their movies. The Avengers happens to be both acclaimed critically and financially, for example.

Neither is my reason, I would just like to see if they could be successful in making a film that is grounded in reality. I truly love all their films and I feel that they are capable of making a film that can be seen as Oscar potential in the acting and directing categories such as many believe that the Batman trilogy has accomplished

Well, I've enjoyed the MCU films that aren't "grounded in reality" but for the purposes of this discussion, I think that the first Iron Man is pretty much "reality based" with no Thor or super serum or portals, just a guy in a suit. The fact that it wasn't grimdark doesn't mean it didn't deal withsome serious and important issues as well as being fun. The cave scenes are really the emotional heart of the movie and we've all seen enough of those on the news to immediately get what's going on and place it in our world.

Nolan's take is great for Batman but I really won't want to watch his version of a Thor movie for example. There's an inherent Shakespearean/fantasy to it that only someone like Branagh could have made work. The original suggestion was to go very LOTR with Thor, which wouldn't have worked at all IMHO.

The Avengers is pretty much exactly what it needed to be to work, I couldn't imagine it being serious and depressing, and yet the best moments in the movie are the character moments, where you see the connections between the characters....and then get to watch the Hulk Smash "puny god". ;) Great combination.

I'm not sure if this is asking if there should be more realistic superheroes in the MCU (like Luke Cage or the Punisher) or if they should take fantastic concepts that have proven to be successful, and force them into a realistic scenario just so we can follow Nolan's example that worked for a hero already fairly grounded in reality.

...if it's the latter, no. The former yes, but not the latter.

Yea I'm talking about new future superhero franchises

I hope not.

But I do think they should start to make movies that are a bit more "ambitious".

I like that the Batman movies and the Marvel moview feel different. Don't try to copy each other, just make enjoyable movies.

I'm pretty sure they already did that with the first iron man and to an extent the second, hence all the political ramifications of his presence, the senate hearing ect.

Last edited:
ok, im gonna actually give this a little thought. hmmm besides Punisher and maybe Daredevil i dont see too many oppurtunities to go there. unless they wanna make a Ben Urich movie or something. but i agree with Da Games Elite, maybe a movie based on a more grounded character? yes. Nolanisation? god no. lol

The only character i can think of that would fit that style off the top of my head is the Punisher. And like a lot of other people, i'm completely fine with what marvel is doing right now. They've made over 3.7 billion dollars off box office alone.

I could get "grounded realism" with the other studios' movies. Marvel Studios' offerings works for me because it offers an alternative to that.

Seeing as Christopher Nolan's Batman interpretation has been critically and financially acclaimed, I was wondering if Marvel Studios would try to use that same mentality for one of their future superhero franchises. What do you all think?

I think they tried to do that with the Punisher film starring Thomas Jane. Didn't work out so well.

If Marvel's superheroes are too grounded in reality then they lose any sense of what's fantastic and miraculous in this world. You can no longer believe in the impossible.

Marvel Studios movies ARE already grounded in reality. In fact they are as much grounded as possible without completely compromising the source material

They're not grounded in reality so much s=as they are plausible.

only ones who deserves this treatment is daredevil and thank god fox has it since marvel would'nt make it dark or grounded they'd make it in tune with their MCU tone

my biggest problem with marvel is they take zero risks and are not very ambitious

batman films are very ambitious and even MOS looks the same

for instance they went away from nazi's in cap but fox went all the way with that in x men first class

Aren't most films, to some extent? I suppose it really depends on your idea of "reality".

No one has superpowers, sure, but how realistic is any of it? A multi-billionaire going to the Himalayas to train with ninjas, and dressing up as a bat to fight a homicidal clown?

Iron Man (1) was fairly grounded in reality.

Some of you are being needlessly dreadful. OP is just asking a question. He didn't punch your mother.

As to the question itself, it depends. I reckon the worst thing about the last Spider-man movie was it tried to be Batman so there is a chance of making everything too samey.

That said, I think it would work really well with some characters. Captain America should have been more 'normal man in the dawn of a new era' than 'OMG INDIANA JONES BUY THIS TOY!!!!!1!1'

Aren't most films, to some extent? I suppose it really depends on your idea of "reality".

No one has superpowers, sure, but how realistic is any of it? A multi-billionaire going to the Himalayas to train with ninjas, and dressing up as a bat to fight a homicidal clown?

Iron Man (1) was fairly grounded in reality.
yeah, the led-by-a-French ecoterrorist-ninja clan in the Himalayan cloister on poisonous-flower-drugs was very grounded in reality indeed

That said, I think it would work really well with some characters. Captain America should have been more 'normal man in the dawn of a new era' than 'OMG INDIANA JONES BUY THIS TOY!!!!!1!1'
I don't know. I miss the days when good old, old-fashioned movies like Indiana Jones were made. Cap took me back to that time. TDK didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"