• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Windows 11

Reaction score
*Windows 11 @Iceman can you rename this thread to Windows 11. I made a mistake with the thread title.

I'm so surprised by this. I thought Windows 10 isn't going to get a successor and I got a new pc not less than 12 months ago. So I panicked a little as I don't want my new Windows pc to be outdated. Good thing, this is a free update... though not sure if it would be compatible to every Windows 10 pc.

Intrigued by this. I hope its for the better. Also Android apps are coming to Windows pc!

Sure.

I wasn't expecting another Windows any time soon either. Glad it's a free update.

Been running on Win 11 for a few months now and the performance is butter smooth (on my 3-year old laptop too).

Very good optimisation.

So which orientation did you guys choose for your taskbar? Center (Windows 11 default) or Left (like previous Windows)?

Got tired of all the junk Microsoft was forcing into Windows 11 and EOL'ing WIndows 10. I decided to go the Linux route and now playing with KDE Neon. Most of my software is accessible and my PC's drivers are supported.

Got tired of all the junk Microsoft was forcing into Windows 11 and EOL'ing WIndows 10. I decided to go the Linux route and now playing with KDE Neon. Most of my software is accessible and my PC's drivers are supported.
How is that going so far? I am thinking of doing the same. Maybe running a VM for stuff that absolutely has to be running in Windows.

How is that going so far? I am thinking of doing the same. Maybe running a VM for stuff that absolutely has to be running in Windows.
Just slight hiccups. My Bluetooth doesn't seem to want to pair in KDE Neon even though it worked fine in the Live Session, but I only used it for my keyboard and mouse. I have my older ones with the dongle, though. There's a strange graphical bug with Chromium/Chrome launching web apps, but I think that's a Google problem rather than Linux. You can either install via the Linux OS's software store or through the terminal. If you want to learn more, there are guides online.

Ubuntu and Mint seem to be the most user friendly for those who want to dip their toes into Linux. Ubuntu also comes in different desktop environments. Kubuntu uses KDE Plasma which is very WIndows 7/10 for example. If you game, don't expect much unless you're familiar with PlayOn Linux and Wine. Also MS Office can be emulated or used via Microsoft 365 or you can use LibreOffice which I found just as intuitive. I use Audacity, kdelive, Krita, VLC, Rhythmbox, and GIMP for my art and multimedia needs. And if you stream Spotify is there.

Zorin OS and Elementary OS are good options, too. The latter is very similar to Mac OS.

screenshot(s)?

Just slight hiccups. My Bluetooth doesn't seem to want to pair in KDE Neon even though it worked fine in the Live Session, but I only used it for my keyboard and mouse. I have my older ones with the dongle, though. There's a strange graphical bug with Chromium/Chrome launching web apps, but I think that's a Google problem rather than Linux. You can either install via the Linux OS's software store or through the terminal. If you want to learn more, there are guides online.

Ubuntu and Mint seem to be the most user friendly for those who want to dip their toes into Linux. Ubuntu also comes in different desktop environments. Kubuntu uses KDE Plasma which is very WIndows 7/10 for example. If you game, don't expect much unless you're familiar with PlayOn Linux and Wine. Also MS Office can be emulated or used via Microsoft 365 or you can use LibreOffice which I found just as intuitive. I use Audacity, kdelive, Krita, VLC, Rhythmbox, and GIMP for my art and multimedia needs. And if you stream Spotify is there.
A lot of gaming issues can be solved these days by running it through Steam and using Proton.

The increasing amount of bull**** Microsoft is bundling into Windows 11 has me considering jumping ship to Linux too.

I was considering this distro called Garuda Linux, but I wasn't sure about the theme:

garuda-dr460nized.webp

i got the popup that my computer isn't compatible with windows 11, but my computer is in fantastic shape. runs great, haven't even used half the memory yet etc. so i don't want a new one.

i don't want all the AI stuff, especially.

i got the popup that my computer isn't compatible with windows 11, but my computer is in fantastic shape. runs great, haven't even used half the memory yet etc. so i don't want a new one.

i don't want all the AI stuff, especially.
Copilot, performance, and not being able to use Firefox or Google over Edge and Bing were really the sticking points for me.

Copilot, performance, and not being able to use Firefox or Google over Edge and Bing were really the sticking points for me.

i didn't even realize that. i don't like Edge or Bing at all. heck, in that last few months i've only just not started to warm up to Chrome because I use it for work.

i didn't even realize that. i don't like Edge or Bing at all. heck, in that last few months i've only just not started to warm up to Chrome because I use it for work.
Microsoft hard-coded Edge to open by default for a lot of Windows. If you try to do a web search in the taskbar, click on anything in the widgets panel, or use Outlook, it all goes through Edge or Bing.

This is why I liked Linux when I tried it out years ago:

Ubuntu Dark.pngWIndows Dark.pngMac_OS.png

A lot of gaming issues can be solved these days by running it through Steam and using Proton.
Ditto:

However, I believe Nvidia driver support still sucks on Linux.

As a developer on Microsoft's tech stack, I'm quite constrained to be on Windows... For non-work stuff, I guess I'll just go back to dual-booting like during my college years.

Ditto:

However, I believe Nvidia driver support still sucks on Linux.

As a developer on Microsoft's tech stack, I'm quite constrained to be on Windows... For non-work stuff, I guess I'll just go back to dual-booting like during my college years.
kylo-ren-traitor.gif

• Sad
Reactions: Gee
Good news! My bluetooth driver is fine. My Microsoft branded bluetooth keyboard and mobile mouse don't like KDE Neon.

Windows 10 truly should have been Windows 8...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"