Microsoft Ending Support for Windows 98 and ME

Malice

BMFH
Reaction score
I wanted to announce to all those people out there:

Microsoft as of Tuesday (July 11) ALL support for Windows 98 and Windows ME will cease.

Here is a LINK to an article that talks about this issue.

I want to tell you all, if you use Windows 98 or Windows ME I beg you to do one of two things, UPGRADE your Operating System to Windows 2000 or Windows XP or simply buy a new computer that contains a new Operating System.

These older PC's as they sit on the Internet actually become a HUGE security risk because Microsoft will no longer upgrade/patch these computers. Any new security holes found in them, are left unplugged. Thus making the Operating System completely unsafe to you the user, and us, the others that are online.

Thanks for your time!

Malice

Malice said:
I wanted to announce to all those people out there:

Microsoft as of Tuesday (July 11) ALL support for Windows 98 and Windows ME will cease.

Here is a LINK to an article that talks about this issue.

I want to tell you all, if you use Windows 98 or Windows ME I beg you to do one of two things, UPGRADE your Operating System to Windows 2000 or Windows XP or simply buy a new computer that contains a new Operating System.

These older PC's as they sit on the Internet actually become a HUGE security risk because Microsoft will no longer upgrade/patch these computers. Any new security holes found in them, are left unplugged. Thus making the Operating System completely unsafe to you the user, and us, the others that are online.

Thanks for your time!

Malice

I THOUGHT THEY STOPPED SUPPORTING '98 A COUPLE YEARS AGO. :confused: BUT YEAH, IF YOU STILL USE A '98 OR 'ME' PC, YOU DESERVE WHATEVER HAPPENS. :o

I thought they stopped support for 98 and ME a few years ago as well. God, how I hated WinME. Good thing I have Win2000 Pro and WinXP Pro.

No, they were going to stop support I believe like a year or two ago, but there was a, "outrage" from those that still used it.

So Microsoft extended the support for another 2 years which will be July 11.

I have an older Hp computer that runs Windows 98 but I don't use it much anymore. I occasionally hook it up to the net to transfer files onto my newer computer, but maybe I will eventually get a flash key drive were I can extract the files from my older computer without going online & transfer them to my newer computer.

It would be to expensive to just go out & buy the disc to upgrade my older computer to an Xp version so maybe I could just borrow the disc from someone & do the upgrade myself. Eventually I might need a spare computer & wouldn't have it if I didn't upgrade. To bad a person can't just go out & rent computer discs when they need a certain upgrade like they can with movies & video games.

You can always borrow the disks from someone who has them.

I actually heard that XP would be the format that Microsoft would be ending support for.Is it in any danger?

Why would they end support for the OS that's is the most recent on the market? They will support it even when Vista comes out. Let's face it Win98 is almost 10 years old and WinME just sucked from the get go.

Jourmugand said:
I actually heard that XP would be the format that Microsoft would be ending support for.Is it in any danger?

Vista isn't even released yet, and all new computers still ship with it. There's no worry of losing support for a number of years.

XP service pack 2 is fine, SP1 is not supported.

Basically XP is fine as long as you pack it with SP2 and the lastest patches.

screw Microsoft. Install Linux on those old machines...

yea but its a lot more useful then MicroNazithirdreich having control over everything you do. Before you say that maybe I should show you the 24 node Linux Xbox cluster.

Thank you, no. I'll give Linux one thing, it's a very stable OS, but it's not user friendly.

THWIP* said:
I THOUGHT THEY STOPPED SUPPORTING '98 A COUPLE YEARS AGO. :confused: BUT YEAH, IF YOU STILL USE A '98 OR 'ME' PC, YOU DESERVE WHATEVER HAPPENS. :o
They did, but they reversed it as a lot of buisnesses run programs that are made for 98 and not SP. Most of American business as of 2002 still ran on 98 (when they first tried to do it) so they relented. But they told the business and companies to make sure to get their programs/servers onto XP as they were going to end it permanently in a few years. they are also going to end support fo XP Service Pack 1 on October 11 this year.

For those that have Windows 98, I've heard that people still use the startup disk to help recover from computer crashes, even if they have XP.

If so, might I suggest that before you get rid of 98, to make a few startup disks.

Or simply build some nice BootDisks...I have a few floppy bootdisks and a great CD one that has ALLLLLL sorts of tools on it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I refuse to upgrade to garbage ass XP or 2000 i refuse

Jplaya2023 said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I refuse to upgrade to garbage ass XP or 2000 i refuse

I hope you don't care to play the latest games and will accept your fate to be eventually locked out of the internet.

jaguarr said:
I love my Macs. :)

jag

We love the fact that you love your Macs.

It's really great they run Windows now.

War Lord said:
I hope you don't care to play the latest games and will accept your fate to be eventually locked out of the internet.

Only computer games i play is MAME so im good there. Microsoft is being idiotic cutting support for 9X, it was its most successful OS.

Jplaya2023 said:
Only computer games i play is MAME so im good there. Microsoft is being idiotic cutting support for 9X, it was its most successful OS.

There is only so long a company can support previous software before that software holds back new development.

War Lord said:
There is only so long a company can support previous software before that software holds back new development.

New Development like what?? Another unstable OS that will blow up and u gotta download 40000000 patches to fix????? It doesnt take long to patch 98 on a month to month basis, their just being lazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"