The Amazing Spider-Man With great power comes great responsibility.

humantorch09

Civilian
Reaction score
How does everyone feel about this classic line being left out of the introduction to the new Spidey films?

The lesson is there. It didn't matter to me if Uncle Ben said it or not.

While I would've loved to have hear it said directly it was included in a unique way so it worked out just right. Furthermore Martin sheen nailed Uncle Ben even better than Cliff Robertson IMO, Robertson was good and heartwarming in his portrayal of Ben Parker in Raimi's film. But Sheen just owned the role more so and was much more faithful to the comics as been Peter's surrogate Father much like Sir Michael Caine is depicted in Christopher Nolan's Batman series as Alfred Pennyworth.

As PSYLENTGuardian said, the point about responsibility was brought up.
I did wonder when the line would be said, but I didn't want it to be like forced dialogue (e.g. Batman Begins' dialogue felt forced most of the time, to me anyway).

I guess though because it's an iconic quote, some may have some peeves with it not being fully delivered

I think we should also remember that in Amazing Fantasy it wasn't party of the dialogue either.

How does everyone feel about this classic line being left out of the introduction to the new Spidey films?

Scared. They redid so much from SM1, why leave this out? It was silly.

We all know the line. Not just comic readers, but anyone who's seen the first movie. We don't need to be told it again.

People are hilarious. "Why are they telling the exact same story? We already saw this!" And in the next breath, "Where was this saying? Why didn't he confront the robber? Why did the spider room exist?" You just can't win.

Leaving it out makes my want to puke.

Yep, puke.

I kept waiting for it but it never came. I thought he'd say it to May after she asked him why he didn't ask Gwen out. I thought for sure it would be on the voice mail.

Why dance around it? It's legend.

I would have preferred it was in the film. Its a bit essential hope they put it in two and not skip over it.

People are hilarious. "Why are they telling the exact same story? We already saw this!" And in the next breath, "Where was this saying? Why didn't he confront the robber? Why did the spider room exist?" You just can't win.

Exactly!

Defensive fans will defend anything ;) If Raimi had left the line out and TASM had it in, lovers of TASM would criticize Raimi for leaving it out and praise Webb for putting it in a la mechanical web-shooters.

At the end of the day, the line is probably the most profound piece of dialogue Stan Lee ever wrote and has seeped into pop culture. To leave it out is silly. It doesn't ruin the movie, but it'd be like if Peter didn't catch his uncle's killer and learn....Oh never mind. :oldrazz:

I could not resist.

:lmao:
You deserve a trophy for that fact you stated

Hey, Us comic book fans will never be pleased!

I was fine with it not being there verbatim because the lesson was there and it was there in the whole movie.

I don't mind them not saying it either, that's something new for Spider-Man's origin story

They just didn't want to give us a story with details we've already seen before. "with great power comes great responsibility" I guess you can say was subliminal or implied.

It's a great line, but I felt there was no need to reiterate it verbatim. It sounds too "comic book-y" for the world Webb created. No one actually talks like that. Ben's responsibility speech was much more believable within the context of the film - though I wish they hadn't cut the original version: "Your father lived by a philosophy, that if there were things you could do to help people, then it was your responsibility to do those things!"

Defensive fans will defend anything ;) If Raimi had left the line out and TASM had it in, lovers of TASM would criticize Raimi for leaving it out and praise Webb for putting it in a la mechanical web-shooters.

At the end of the day, the line is probably the most profound piece of dialogue Stan Lee ever wrote and has seeped into pop culture. To leave it out is silly. It doesn't ruin the movie, but it'd be like if Peter didn't catch his uncle's killer and learn....Oh never mind. :oldrazz:

I could not resist.

To defend the new film a bit --

In the original origin and in Rami's Spider-man: Peter encountered the thief, let him go and then the killer kills Ben. Peter never knows that it was the same guy until he catches him.

In this version: Peter sees the whole thing. He knows that the guy he let go, because it wasn't "his policy," was the guy who killed his Uncle. He saw it. Him catching the killer isn't necessary. Peter learned his lesson, better in fact.

It also served the purpose of having him feel he needed to hunt the killer, selfishly, only to learn that his "responsibility" was to use his powers for the good of everyone and not just for himself. So, he abandons his quest to find the killer, because it's not just about "getting even" or "revenge," but about his moral obligation to help people -- just as Uncle Ben taught him.

So, actually, this new way is an even better way for Peter to learn Ben's words and to give more weight to their meaning. I couldn't love it more.

-R

This whole thing is really much ado about nothing, at least to me. The point of Uncle Ben's 'power and responsibility' speech really isn't the words themselves but their impact on Peter, and said impact is more than adequately demonstrated in TASM. In fact, it's demonstrated in a way that I haven't seen any other adaptation of Spidey's origin story tackle, which lends its impact much greater depth than it might otherwise have had, especially since the speech has become, if I may say so, somewhat of a cliche despite its place as a central part of Spidey's origin.

I did enjoy how Peter, justifiably, throws the words back at Uncle Ben's face with how Richard was responsible for Peter and "abandoned" him.

I'm sure they will elaborate later on in the sequels how his sense of responsibility is what had him leave Peter with his aunt and uncle.

Hmmm i like that they showed it than to beat us over the head with it. Ben and captain stacey taught pete that. This interpretation Of responsibility was better than the raimi films. Webbs parker had to learn this by f###ing up a few times. Its more human and realistic approach. I felt pete truly learned that in tasm

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"