The Amazing Spider-Man With great power comes great responsibility.

How does everyone feel about this classic line being left out of the introduction to the new Spidey films?

GREAT. I didn't have to be verbalized - let alone a dozen times - to be all over the movie.

Hm, that exchange sounds vaguely familiar....

Ben: These are the years where a man changes into the man he's going to become for the rest of his life. Just be careful who you change into. This guy, Flash Thompson, probably deserved what happened, but just because you can beat him up, doesn't give you the right to. Remember, with great power comes great responsibility.

Peter: Are you afraid that I'm going to turn into some kind of a criminal? Quit worrying about me, OK? Something's different. I'll figure it out. Stop lecturing me, please.

Ben: I don't ment to lecture and I don't mean to preach. And I know I'm not your father...

Peter: Then stop pretending to be!

Ben: ....Right....

Pretty much the exact same scene that even brings up Peter being outraged that Ben is pretending to be his father. The difference (besides Peter breaking the front door) is the new one doesn't have a classic line. ;)

I know I shouldn't be comparing these scenes, but when I read this and remember the scene that took place. I did feel sorry for Uncle Ben and I think Peter knew that what he said was wrong after he said it. Though with Webb's version, like others it made me teary eyed as well. Less was said in that scene too with Aunt May trying to calm things down. Even if Uncle Ben said the line seriously.. it would've felt awkward, cuz he was pretty angry with Peter.

I think they're both great scenes.

In SPIDER-MAN, Ben is a bit more unsure of how to parent, how to go about helping Peter grow up right, and how to guide him.

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN's Ben is a bit more hands on, a bit more brusque and direct, sure of himself and his parenting skills.

I love the fact that we have both versions on film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"