Women As Preachers

Wilhelm-Scream said:
“A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.”
1 Timothy 2:11-12

I love how when the Bible says something barbaric, Christians just kind of...don't see it. It's like the way some wives behave when their husband disappears into their daughter's room every night and then he comes stumbling out with his pants undone and the girl's sobbing inside.
Christians fail to see sequence of events errors, omissions and contradictions within their own Bible and some still claim it is literal in nature, so something like that (heck you could pull out one hundred more passages) does not surprise.

Not to play the devil's advocate (pun intended :D), but Christianity for all intents and purposes is over a couple thousand years old and was probably very progressive for it's time, even in the treatment of women. Albeit it is hard for a modern day American to see that because we tend to group even lesser forms of discrimination (like name calling and gender roles) into "barbaric". However in truth most Christians never really read their Bibles or become very confused by them. They are willing to disregard [passages about] discrimination, acts of violence, faulty reasoning, errors and omissions, historical inaccurancies, etc.

It's not so much that they are hypocritical it is more that Christianity becomes a comfort zone for them. People don't like to face down the fact that they may be hypocritical, hateful or discriminatory. We've lived through thousands of years of human history and I hate to say it but "leopards don't change their spots". Very few humans are interested in changing, and those that are typically are hated, scorned and feared by everyone else. Faces change, but the story stays the same. While we make progress somewhere, it's only at the expense of someone else.

I've noticed a pattern. Many times there will be two pastors who are husband and wife.

It's sort of offputting when you imagine that your two pastors are having sex with each other (especially the part where you imagine the act).

Jourmugand said:
I dont like it,women should not preach the word of God.Only men should.
I agree. The opinions of these "help-meets" who don't have that spongy goose-neck-looking thing dangling between their legs (that has the divine ability to become cork-hard during moments of lust,...I mean, during moments of monogamous, committed, sanctified wedlock), are inferior and should be restricted to their respective homes.
'Cause the sizes of your spirituality, innate authority and mental capacity are directly proportionate to the size of your sexual organs and the ammount of body hair with which you're endowed.:up:

Praise Jesus!*sways with hands held high and eyes closed*

rolleyesx100.jpg

Yeah, it doesn't really make sense...

Why should having a XX chromosomes and a penis make you better suited for "preaching the word of God" than those with a Y chromosome and a vagina? :confused:

Sarge 2.0 said:

Why should having a XX chromosomes and a penis make you better suited for "preaching the word of God" than those with a Y chromosome and a vagina? :confused:
Because God is oh so tolerant.

vega_4.gif
Ok people, letz settle this reasonably. God does NOT make men the head of speaking and teaching on congregations because he has a penis or he is smarter or more superior. Like I said, it's because man is the glory of God and woman is the glory of man. Its also because women were created for the glory of man and were created OUT of man. That's it, simple as that.

1 Corin. 11:7,8,9 - For a man ought not to have his head covered, as he is God’s image and glory; but the woman is man’s glory. For man is not out of woman, but woman out of man; and, what is more, man was not created for the sake of the woman, but woman for the sake of the man.

This doesn't mean that God has given men absolute authority of over women.
man must answer to his head, Jesus Christ, and to God for the way that he exercises such headship. (1Cor. 11:3) Furthermore, husbands are commanded “to be loving their wives as their own bodies” and to ‘assign honor’ to their wives. (Eph. 5:28; 1Pet. 3:7) The sexual needs of a husband are not put above those of his wife in God’s arrangement for married couples. (1Cor. 7:3,4) The role of a capable wife, as outlined in the Bible, emphasizes her value to the household and the community. It allows a broad field in which she can use initiative while demonstrating her appreciation for her husband’s headship.

Sarge 2.0 said:

Those with Y chromosomes do not have vaginas. :o

Unless I'm missing something. :cool:

Sarge 2.0 said:

uhm

Men are XY
Women are XX

Jonathan Archer said:
Nevertheless, why can't I compete in the Miss USA pageant? Is it against their in-house rules?
The main reason why YOU can't be in it is because you'd make an ugly ass woman. If you notice, the women in those pageants are quite attractive.

War Lord said:
Shhh.

He's sharing knowledge.

Please continue Sarge.
Shouldn't you be putting in the ball gag and waiting for tzarinna about now?

C-$ said:
The whole "women preachers" thing still kind of befuddles me becuase I don't if it's a sin or The Bible says that it's not a sin. What's your opinion on "women as preachers".

I got no issue with it.

Power to them.

E. Bison said:
1 Corin. 14:33-34 - "For God is [a God], not of disorder, but of peace.
As in all the congregations of the holy ones, 34*let the women keep silent in the congregations, for it is not permitted for them to speak, but let them be in subjection, even as the Law says."

dialog-vega1.gif
Women are to be in subjection to the men in congregations. They are not to speak nor instruct during gatherings.

Paul was writing to a church in Corinth. That congregation was having a problem with some individuals who were preventing others from fully appreciating whatever happened in first century churches.

Now, how a letter to a specific congregation becomes a standard for EVERY CHURCH almost 2000 years later... :confused:
Jonathan Archer said:
Bah. Some well-known restaurants openly employ gender-specific waitresses all the time. I bet I'll NEVER make it to the interview stage as a Hooters girl regardless of my years of experience waiting tables at hotels.
If I went into Hooters and my waitress was a dude in a pair of orange shorts and a Hooters T-shirt, I would:

1) laugh at the guy trying to be a Hooters girl,
2) ask for another waitress,
3) if I could not get another waitress, I'd leave.

Every guy would laugh at another guy dressed up as a Hooters girl. It has nothing to do with discrimination, it has everything to do with a guy failing to meet the definition of "waitress" (waitress is a female waiter)

War Lord said:
Probably the toughest test for us humans is to accept what God has ordained and submit to His will.
Actually, a tougher test is probably thinking for ourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"