Wonder Woman 1984 General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

The delays really burned out my hype for this ;/

Not surprised. I've seen people on Twitter say the same thing. That's why I have always been against this weird release date game that WB keeps playing with WW84. How can a movie not become a joke when it keeps getting pushed back every 2 months?

they did that same thing with Tenet, these people over at WB just don't learn

Oh my god just release it on HBO Max or something already? How out of touch is WB? The delays have ruined ALL of the momentum this movie had, it needs to be released like...yesterday...

some of you guys don’t wanna hear this but movie theaters are never going to recover from this virus. Things have changed forever and the cinematic landscape is moving to streaming. Try to deny it all you want, but don’t let your personal feelings about movie theaters cloud the overwhelmingly obvious reality that movie theaters are becoming obsolete.

Most people I know would rather watch a movie at home with a drink in hand, snacks on hand, and maybe even a joint to spark up, while they can pause and resume the movie whenever they want.

this pandemic will end one day and that's when cinemas will open again. or are you saying this nightmare is it and this is just how it's going to be lol

This movie either makes a fair amount of money on a streaming service or it ****ing bombs in theaters. Who the **** is making these decisions? Don’t delay it! Idiotic.

this pandemic will end one day and that's when cinemas will open again. or are you saying this nightmare is it and this is just how it's going to be lol
I think you are foolish to think that things haven’t been changed forever. They are going to limp on for a while but everything is trending towards streaming and theaters will never recover to full strength. Streaming at home is far more appealing to most people. No doubt about it.

I think you are foolish to think that things haven’t been changed forever. They are going to limp on for a while but everything is trending towards streaming and theaters will never recover to full strength. Streaming at home is far more appealing to most people. No doubt about it.

I am foolish? You are the one having a meltdown. Just because you wanna see movies in your sweatpants in your living room doesn't mean you speak for everyone lol

I agree there's a difference between Mulan and Black Widow or Wonder Woman. There's still more money to be made in the theaters over streaming.

Further, while one can say that HBO Max could greatly benefit from WW84 being dropped straight to streaming and it could give a major bump to their streaming, that doesn't address the what 80M Roku/Fire Stick subscribers who still can't watch HBO Max.

Further, while one can say that HBO Max could greatly benefit from WW84 being dropped straight to streaming and it could give a major bump to their streaming, that doesn't address the what 80M Roku/Fire Stick subscribers who still can't watch HBO Max.

Someone who gets it. HBO Max is not an option as it is not available overseas. That's the difference between HBO Max & Disney+. I was ready to go watch WW84 in a few weeks as theaters in my country have been open since July. Now I have to watch WB move the movie to Dec and then eventually have to move it again because of a potential second wave during the Winter.

I am foolish? You are the one having a meltdown. Just because you wanna see movies in your sweatpants in your living room doesn't mean you speak for everyone lol
I really do though. Theaters are going to change forever after Covid. It’s going to take a long time but things are trending towards streaming. You’ll see. Regardless of your personal feelings about theaters. I have fond memories of them myself, but they’re going to be more of a niche, retro thing in the future. Streaming is the future.

I do think streaming is the future, but it's not now.

I remember when it took a year for a movie to go from a theater to home release. It's been reduced to 3-4 months.

If WB was to drop WW84 right now on HBO Max, because their streaming service hasn't exactly gone the way they wanted, they'd lose money. How much money is up for debate but if minimum WW84 was slated to make what the original did, I don't know how many new streamers or VOD purchases needs to equate a theatrical release. Not to mention all the people who couldn't see it unless they got new tvs to support HBO Max.

I do think that we aren't going to be going back to a pre 2020 anytime soon. Even if everything opened tomorrow, I don't think the movies released will match 2019 numbers.

My hype for this movie has dwindled severely. I'll see it whenever...
It's like I don't even care if I see it in a movie theater either it's been so long with delay after delay. If the pandemic wasn't an issue we would be near the time of actually owning WW84 digitally or watching it On Demand. I can wait until it's release on VOD.

Until I can get an IMAX theater in my house and steal a theater's popcorn machine, I'll take waiting to see movies like WW84 in a theater over being dumped on VOD, likely asking me for more money for a lesser experience if Mulan is any indication.

Patty said she wants it in cinema...shouldnt WB honor her wishes? If she isnt worried about it and if they arent then I will just let it go. The thought it would bomb is ludicrous anyways the only ones who seem to care about the delays are us. If things ever normalize (who knows when that will be) WW84 will make plenty of money. I would assume, like with TENET, WB is willing to take the hit if it keeps their director and actors happy.

HBO Max is not an option. Maybe in a year or two but that is just a bad idea. It would be one thing if you made it available on HBO Max along with other streaming forms (Amazon, Google Play, Apple TV, Hulu...etc.) but HBO Max is too new and not in nearly enough homes to make it work. Even if you go for the extra cash grab like Disney+ did with Mulan the money would be pennies on the dollar. Even if WW84 tanks in the theaters it will make more than it would on a straight VOD release or HBO Max.

There is a reason the trailer got as many views as it did...people want to see the movie whenever the heck they finally can. Personally though I think WB should just stop naming dates and let things play out. Announcing December is dumb because there is a 1% chance that it actually comes out then with how stupidly the US is handling the Coronavirus. God half my country is just intent on ruining everything for the rest of us.

Until I can get an IMAX theater in my house and steal a theater's popcorn machine, I'll take waiting to see movies like WW84 in a theater over being dumped on VOD, likely asking me for more money for a lesser experience if Mulan is any indication.
Yep, this. I wanted to see Mulan, especially on a big screen, but I'm not paying $30 just to watch it at home. I think that model works for families, but not for a single person just wanting to see a movie.

Movies like Wonder Woman, Black Widow, Dune, etc...they deserve to be seen in theaters.

Yep, this. I wanted to see Mulan, especially on a big screen, but I'm not paying $30 just to watch it at home. I think that model works for families, but not for a single person just wanting to see a movie.

Movies like Wonder Woman, Black Widow, Dune, etc...they deserve to be seen in theaters.
Agreed. Even for a movie I really want to see, like WW84, I'm not paying one and a half times an IMAX ticket for a lesser experience full of distractions. I love seeing even movies that aren't necessarily big blockbuster types on the big screen, but especially for that kind of thing, for stuff like this and Dune which have clearly built themselves to be these big experiecnes - I want to experience them for the first time on the big screen. In a dark room with some good popcorn, without dogs barking and car alarms down the street, people shouting upstairs and someone watching another movie in the living room loud enough I can hear the audio.

Honesty, if I get deprived of the chance of seeing either WW84 or Dune on the bigscreen I'm going to be pissed, especially Dune which just screams must see in a theater and on the biggest screen possible. I enjoyed Mulan, but watching it at home kind of sucked and it felt like a bigscreen movie to me.

I just....am astounded by someone who is so entitled they think that they speak for everyone and that WB owes them releasing this movie on streaming right now lol

Streaming will never allow studios to earn as much as cinema does

I dont know about that...but it will be years before it is anywhere close.

I am not saying you will see a movie on Disney+ or HBO Max make a billion...obviously gross numbers will be lower. But profit-wise I think in a few years you will see it get closer than you think. As it is conventional wisdom is you need to at least double the budget to really make money on a film right? Well you are taking out a lot of costs if you are as vertically integrated as these major conglomerates are. They own the studios, they offer advertising options across multiple networks and platforms, they have access to in film advertising as well and they will keep it all not to mention all the IPOS they own the rights to. No more needing to give up BO money to the theaters or worry about jockeying for specific dates to maximizes the receipts. There are other costs as well that will be lessened which will heighten profitability. (which is why I say Netflix is going to have issues going forward...they just dont have access to the stuff that say WB and Disney...or even Universal have) So while they wont get the flashy BO numbers they will actually make more on the back end than they would have.

But again that is years from now and there is no need to take a bath on a film now just because 50 people on Twitter and some posters on random message boards feel entitled. This isnt Bill and Ted Face the Music...a VOD release or an HBO Max release would be a financial disaster. Hell I wouldnt watch it and I have HBO Max and a pretty nice TV. I want this film in the theaters (especially after seeing the trailer in IMAX...it just isnt the same) and I will wait as will most people.

(I hope I didnt sound snarky or snotty)

Honesty, if I get deprived of the chance of seeing either WW84 or Dune on the bigscreen I'm going to be pissed, especially Dune which just screams must see in a theater and on the biggest screen possible. I enjoyed Mulan, but watching it at home kind of sucked and it felt like a bigscreen movie to me.

WB is going to treat Dune the same way they treated Tenet. 0% chance of Dune not playing in theaters.

I just....am astounded by someone who is so entitled they think that they speak for everyone and that WB owes them releasing this movie on streaming right now lol

Streaming will never allow studios to earn as much as cinema does

Just look at part of Sony’s recent statement:

"You’ll see a lot of strange things happen over the next six months in how films are released, how they’re scheduled, how they’re marketed, but once we get back to normal, we will have learned a lot I think and found ways to do things that are somewhat different and hopefully better."

Things have changed forever. Streaming is the future. I don’t let my personal feelings distort the stark reality. It won’t be immediate mind you, but this is akin to the death of physical music trending towards streaming services. You just can’t see it yet, but the writing is on the wall.

I love theaters too and value the theater experience as something special and classic. But in the future, I truly see them as becoming a more niche thing, with major releases trending towards streaming once they have figured out a viable way to make big Blockbuster $$$ through streaming.

giphy.gif

*or woman

Just look at part of Sony’s recent statement:

"You’ll see a lot of strange things happen over the next six months in how films are released, how they’re scheduled, how they’re marketed, but once we get back to normal, we will have learned a lot I think and found ways to do things that are somewhat different and hopefully better."

Things have changed forever. Streaming is the future. I don’t let my personal feelings distort the stark reality. It won’t be immediate mind you, but this is akin to the death of physical music trending towards streaming services. You just can’t see it yet, but the writing is on the wall.

I love theaters too and value the theater experience as something special and classic. But in the future, I truly see them as becoming a more niche thing, with major releases trending towards streaming once they have figured out a viable way to make big Blockbuster $$$ through streaming.
I think the point Harlequinade is that any blockbuster movie in the can today would not make what it would in the theaters and is correct.

If WW84, cost $45M to make or if the streaming service was set up that there was a basic system and then if you wanted to watch WW84, you'd be charge $10 a viewing I still don't think it'd make what it would in theaters. However, it might be as profitable when you take out the theater portion, marketing, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"