Worst Moments as a Sports Fan?

This seems easy enough to rectify...obviously time ran out had the clock been working...

David Tyree Catch and ultimately a loss in Super Bowl 42. Heartbreaking.

Giants beating the Patriots again. Seriously, losing a Super Bowl is the worst.

Ron Artest dagger three in game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals.

Pittsburgh losing the Super Bowl to Green Bay then the following year, losing in the playoffs to an absolute fluke play by f***ing Tim Tebow and Demaryiuouiuouoiuos Thomas.

Robert Horry. Kings. Nuff said.

Second time I've posted that lol. Didn't realize it was an old thread.

Last edited:
There's only one that still haunts me to this day:

John Starks Game 7 1994 NBA Finals.

Absolutely gut wrenching watch a guy that played with so much heart and was clutch on so many occasions just implode like that. It was impossible to hate him after that which made it even harder.

3/31/97- Kentucky rolled into the Finals having dominated the SEC Tournament and handled most of their NCAA Tourney foes with ease. They played a back-and-forth game with Arizona that went to OT. UK went cold in overtime, scoring only 5 points. The loss was painful, but retrospect would only make it more so. UK won the NCAA championship in '96 and '98. They were one solid OT performance away from 3 in a row.

4/7/14: Kentucky had underachieved during the regular season, but Coach Cal flipped a switch during the SEC Tourney and the Cats seemed like a different team. They beat the previously undefeated Wichita State Shockers in the round of 32 and knocked off arch-rival and defending NCAA champ Louisville. Suddenly, the ship was right and the pre-season hype was justified. Unfortunately, UK lost Willie Cauley-Stein to a leg injury during the tourney and Julius Randle was hobbled with an injured foot. They limped into the Finals and gave it their best shot, but came up short against UConn. I can't help wonder how the game would have gone had those two been healthy.

Pittsburgh losing the Super Bowl to Green Bay then the following year, losing in the playoffs to an absolute fluke play by f***ing Tim Tebow and Demaryiuouiuouoiuos Thomas.

This. More the playoff loss than the Super Bowl for me.

When Demaryius Thomas outran Ike Taylor for the TD, I'm pretty sure I shed a tear. And to add salt to the wound, it was the first game to implement the updated OT rules.

hnfMByo.gif

I saw the thing I posted in this thread from a few years ago ... And yeah, my "worst moment" still stands: Giants vs. Eagles at home in December 2010 (when the Giants blew a 21-point lead in the final 7 minutes). If you're an Eagles fan, you call it "The Miracle At The Meadowlands." If you're a Giants fan, you call it "The Meltdown At The Meadowlands."

Worst. Loss. Ever. I have PTSD from that damn game, I think. I was actually in freakout mode while watching Silver Linings Playbook for the first time. For a little bit, I really thought they were going to reference that game because they kept making a big deal out of the DeSean Jackson jersey. Luckily, that reference didn't happen, so I was able to continue loving the film. :funny:

My apologies to one of the posters above, but ... Super Bowls XLII and XLVI are my favorite moments as a sports fan. I'm dead serious when I tell people that Super Bowl XLII is still one of the best nights of my life.

But hey, New England won another Super Bowl just a year ago. The Patriots are definitely in a better state than my G-Men are right now. :p

EDIT:

I do have a "soul crushing" moment from this past NFL season. I mean, the entire 2015 season for the Giants was rough ... But the game that "broke" me this year was their matchup against the Saints. It was a lot of back and forth, then the Saints gained a significant lead, then the Giants tied them near the end ... Only to have the Giants defense collapse at the last second for the Saints to win by a field goal. Still not as bad as The Meltdown At The Meadowlands, but I felt like CRAP after that Saints game. I knew the season was over after that.

The 2015 Giants, for the most part, knew how to play a 59-minute game. The final minute is what killed us this year, which was one of the most frustrating things to witness as a fan. Again, though ... Still not as bad as the "Meltdown" in 2010.

Last edited:
If NYG would have kept playing after the 2 minute warning, they would have easily won 5 or 6 more games this season. They lost against New England, Dallas, and Carolina that way off the top of my head. They had the powerhouse offense that could have made s*** happen in the playoffs too.

If NYG would have kept playing after the 2 minute warning, they would have easily won 5 or 6 more games this season. They lost against New England, Dallas, and Carolina that way off the top of my head. They had the powerhouse offense that could have made s*** happen in the playoffs too.

Tell me about it! :funny: 2015 was a really difficult season to sit through.

While I think the offensive line has struggled over the past few seasons, I think they're finally getting better. Eli and Odell Beckham Jr. are certainly a force to be reckoned with at this point. I think we need another good receiver, though (and I'm not getting my hopes up over Victor Cruz at this point; I seriously think he's done).

The defense is what killed the team this season, though. When JPP, a guy who blew off half of his hand with fireworks before the season started, is one of the better guys on the defense, then you know there's a big problem. Other than Rodgers-Cromartie, I don't think the Giants have anyone worthwhile on their defense. Le sigh ...

Worst moment as a sports fan was seeing chelsea win the champions league. Partly cause i hate them mostly cause it cost spurs a place in the champions league. Double whammy.

I saw the thing I posted in this thread from a few years ago ... And yeah, my "worst moment" still stands: Giants vs. Eagles at home in December 2010 (when the Giants blew a 21-point lead in the final 7 minutes). If you're an Eagles fan, you call it "The Miracle At The Meadowlands." If you're a Giants fan, you call it "The Meltdown At The Meadowlands."

Worst. Loss. Ever. I have PTSD from that damn game, I think. .

You'll have to forgive me since I don't watch much of the NFL, but I had never heard of this. Based on the description that you gave, I looked it up on YT. "Improbable" doesn't quite cover it. 4 long TDs...including an OS kick and a dropped/picked-up punt return...on the road....against a division rival...in just over 7 minutes...while holding the Giants scoreless for that span is about as unlikely as any sporting scenario gets. I can see how that would be crushing.

Germany losing to Italy in the semi-finals of the World Cup in 2006 (because Germany hosted the tournament that year).

You'll have to forgive me since I don't watch much of the NFL, but I had never heard of this. Based on the description that you gave, I looked it up on YT. "Improbable" doesn't quite cover it. 4 long TDs...including an OS kick and a dropped/picked-up punt return...on the road....against a division rival...in just over 7 minutes...while holding the Giants scoreless for that span is about as unlikely as any sporting scenario gets. I can see how that would be crushing.

It was the worst 7 minutes of football that I have ever watched. I almost wish that someone had a camera on me while I was witnessing it; all I remember is that I was dumbfounded, bug-eyed, and shouting expletives like a sailor.

The Giants punter that year, Matt Dodge, was fired after that season. My mind is still blown that he punted the ball right down the middle, into the hands of DeSean Jackson. I can't even. lol. Dodge was the WORST.

Anytime you spend $100 to $250 for a ticket and they don't win pretty much is a worst moment.

The Miracle at the Meadowlands was one of the best games in NFL history if you were a fan of either Philadelphia or literally any other team not in the NFC East. That was probably Michael Vick's best game, too.

As a Packers fan, there's a few:

"Fred-ex" bailing out the Eagles comes to mind. Had a good team that year.

Young to T.O. sucked too.

Favre, inexplicably, throwing his final Int to end his career in GB, and subsequently, our Superbowl hopes. Still don't know what he saw, but it's Favre and it was cold, guess that's reason enough.

Losing to weird Eli again after going 15-1 in '11. GB was the better team, probably the best in the league that year, and certainly better and healthier than the championship team from the year prior. I have no idea how that meltdown happened.

Probably the most egregious though was the NFC championship two years ago, still not sure how Seattle escaped, although GB gave every opportunity. Every. Opportunity.

Last edited:
For me it was Cincinnati's most recent playoff loss against Pittsburgh. I'm not one who gets butt hurt over the whole no playoff wins in so many years thing. If the Bengals have a good year, I'm happy. But this year was such a relief at the end of that game because they had finally won it. It was won. Then they lost it due to a series of flukes and handed it away. The Bengals didn't get beat by any means. They lost it themselves, and THAT just really shook me up.

The fact that it happened against the Steelers didn't help.

3/31/97- Kentucky rolled into the Finals having dominated the SEC Tournament and handled most of their NCAA Tourney foes with ease. They played a back-and-forth game with Arizona that went to OT. UK went cold in overtime, scoring only 5 points. The loss was painful, but retrospect would only make it more so. UK won the NCAA championship in '96 and '98. They were one solid OT performance away from 3 in a row.

4/7/14: Kentucky had underachieved during the regular season, but Coach Cal flipped a switch during the SEC Tourney and the Cats seemed like a different team. They beat the previously undefeated Wichita State Shockers in the round of 32 and knocked off arch-rival and defending NCAA champ Louisville. Suddenly, the ship was right and the pre-season hype was justified. Unfortunately, UK lost Willie Cauley-Stein to a leg injury during the tourney and Julius Randle was hobbled with an injured foot. They limped into the Finals and gave it their best shot, but came up short against UConn. I can't help wonder how the game would have gone had those two been healthy.

As a fellow cat fan I hear you on these two, but neither of these are as bad as the Laetner shot, or the Wisconsin loss last year.

Regarding the Arizona OT loss, it was especially hard knowing Derek Anderson was well enough to play, but Pitino wouldn't put him in because he didn't want to jeopardize DAs NBA career.

May 2014 - NHL

Sharks blowing a three-game lead to the Kings in the first round of the playoffs.

:csad:

As a fellow cat fan I hear you on these two, but neither of these are as bad as the Laetner shot, or the Wisconsin loss last year.

Regarding the Arizona OT loss, it was especially hard knowing Derek Anderson was well enough to play, but Pitino wouldn't put him in because he didn't want to jeopardize DAs NBA career.

I moved to Lexington in '95, so the Laettner shot was prior to my UK fandom. However, I do find it annoying that neither Tubby's Comeback Cats overcoming a 17-point deficit to Duke in '98 or the biggest game in the history of the rivalry, the '78 title game between the two, get a fraction of the attention that Laettner's luck does.

As for the Wisconsin loss last year, it only made the '14 title game loss worse for me. The last two seasons would have been much easier to digest had UK not been so close to adding #9. However, with the crop of talent that Cal has coming to Lexington, I'm starting to put 2016 behind me as I ponder the prospects of this time next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"