Would/Should Fox make their own Marvel-related TV show?

Mr. Dent

Superhero
Reaction score
With it looking like Marvel proper is getting ready to move its quest for domination of media into the TV sector, with Agents of SHIELD airing, Agent Carter in the works, and 4 new TV series and a mini apparently also being in development, I find it hard to believe Fox is just sitting on their own Marvel properties and aren't looking at what Marvel is doing and wanting to get in on that. We already see they're copying Marvel's cinematic universe model at the movies, is it a stretch to think they'll attempt to develop their own TV show for their Fox network? Especially with WB/DC cashing in now as well, with a show on Fox's own network no less.

The X-Men universe is vast and can definitely be expanded into several TV shows at least. A TV show I can easily see working on Fox that they can do with their X-Men license is New Mutants, for instance. X-Factor would also be an obvious one. Almost Human is basically a hard sci-fi, non-superpowered version of what I imagine X-Factor would be.

God I hope not! The less FOX/Marvel the better.

The Fox properties require too much SFX probably.

God I hope not! The less FOX/Marvel the better.
Well, I used to think this way, but it's around to stay so I think we should start trying to look on the bright side of these things. First Class and Wolverine were both good, the FF reboot sounds like it's going to be very sci-fi laden as it should and is probably in good hands with Trank, and Fox is finally giving the films the respect they deserve with that horrible CEO or whatever they had gone and seeing how successful Marvel proper has been. I don't think having a FF/X-Men combined universe is so bad in the right hands.

The Fox properties require too much SFX probably.
I don't think they would require anymore than Heroes...which was basically New Mutants. :oldrazz:

Well, I used to think this way, but it's around to stay so I think we should start trying to look on the bright side of these things. First Class and Wolverine were both good, the FF reboot sounds like it's going to be very sci-fi laden as it should and is probably in good hands with Trank, and Fox is finally giving the films the respect they deserve with that horrible CEO or whatever they had gone and seeing how successful Marvel proper has been. I don't think having a FF/X-Men combined universe is so bad in the right hands.

I just feel that a tv series set in X-men cinematic universe will just put more weight on the already screwed up continuity.

FOX doesn't have TV rights to any Marvel characters.

I just feel that a tv series set in X-men cinematic universe will just put more weight on the already screwed up continuity.
Why? It's a big universe. There are literally thousands if not millions of mutants outside of the Charles Xavier Institute. It would be a good way to expand the universe.

I'm pretty sure Fox has live-action TV rights to the X-Men. It's the animation rights they don't have.

I'm pretty sure Fox has live-action TV rights to the X-Men. It's the animation rights they don't have.

FOX's appeal of the 2001 decision on the "Mutant X" lawsuit between FOX and Marvel is available at openjurist.org, and gives some detail regarding the 1993 agreement between the two companies. Included in the appeal is the statement that "The Agreement reserved all television rights to Marvel, subject to a proviso, critical to Fox's pending contract claim, that Marvel would not "produce, distribute or exploit or authorize the production, distribution or exploitation of any live-action motion picture""

Marvel and FOX reached a settlement in 2003, so it's not known if there was an alteration from the original 1993 agreement. My take is that Marvel retains the TV rights, but using mutants could open Disney/Marvel up to litigation such as was filed back in 2001. And though it is much less likely that FOX will attempt to throw its corporate weight around against Disney as opposed to "just out of bankruptcy" Marvel, I don't see the Mouse doing anything on the small screen that would promote a competitor's product on the big screen.

TV is like a new fad. i'd prefer Fox stick to continuing it's run of gret CBMs rather than get caught up in that.

The XCU has a few inconsistencies, but it's not 'screwed up' so to speak

:funny: :funny: :up:

You know what i mean, they're pushing more superheroes (well marvel names) into live-action now than they have since the 70's. DC are doing the same.

It's the new 'thing'

A New Mutants TV show on Fox might be a fun guilty pleasure, but I also doubt Fox has the rights to do so.

I always wondered why Fox didn't turn the Chronicle sequel into a TV show and stick it on their network.

Makes sense to me, if they wanted a superhero show. They've got Gotham now anyway

Chronicle the TV show would be absolutely positively brilliant. Why didn't they do that again?

:funny: :funny: :up:

You know what i mean, they're pushing more superheroes (well marvel names) into live-action now than they have since the 70's. DC are doing the same.

It's the new 'thing'

It's a new trend, but I think it may have some legs. Media outlets, including relatively new purchasers of original material like Amazon and Netflix are starved for content from recognizable brands. And while
I'd prefer the big screen treatment for Daredevil and Heroes for Hire, Batman has been the only "street level" hero with success on the big screen (I'm not including Spider "I attempted to stop a train with my feet" Man). And I don't believe his box office pull can be transferred to characters without decades of multi-media success, extraordinary wealth, a fleet of themed vehicles and a cave.

WB proved with Arrow that costumed vigilante types can work on TV, so both Marvel and Warner are going to continue to raid their respective closets full of characters until this "thing" passes - which could be a while.

Yes they don't.

Because if they have the live-action TV rights, they would have at least wrote a pilot for a potential Dazzler Tv series.

Chronicle the TV show would be absolutely positively brilliant. Why didn't they do that again?

It's ridiculous they haven't already. The one main character left alive (Matt) isn't a big star like Jordan and DeHaan so would be happy doing TV. The movie sequel fell apart, the budget for the first movie was lower than one season of the Walking Dead, plus I'm pretty sure Landis signed on to produce some other show a few months ago, either on Fox or another network.

It makes so much sense.

Everything that comes out of Fox has been kind of a letdown in my eyes when it comes to their Marvel properties. The wolverine was alright and X-Force sounds ok (albeit we have no details so that could easily change) but everything about Days of Future Past sounds like a train wreck and the FF reboot casting news is dreadful imo. I would prefer it if they stayed away from an x-men tv series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"