Stand-Alone Movies Would the Spin offs have the opening crawl in them?

I would put my money on yes, but they might want to separate these films from the main show so who knows. It should be interesting.

My guess is yes. I get the feeling they'll still stay along the lines of a SW movie, even if they're separate from the main movies.

I would expect so.It's an easy way to get the audience up to speed on things without a lot of spoken exposition.

I hope not, The Clone Wars show did something similar but different too, i think these films shouldn't all feel the need to incorporate the classic opening crawl, play with other plot mechanics.

Obviously, it's trademark Star Wars.

But that means every single spin-off is forced into using it? What if they want to do a non-linear story in the spin-offs? It would feel very out of place, or if they did it in a western kind of film? Would it have worked in The good, the bad and the Ugly? Or Pirates of the Caribbean 1? Or Frozen? The star Wars universe opens the doors for all kinds of stories, all you need to be is true to that, i don't think you should force the opening crawl into all the spin-offs if the story they're trying to tell doesn't fit with that.

The Clone Wars show for example went with a similar but very different aproach, instead of putting an opening crawl in every single episode. The Main Episode films need to be straight forward and with the simple structure of the past films, but i think the spin-offs are fair game, flashbacks or slow mo aren't things that would work in the Main Episodes, but depending on the plot, they could be more welcome in some of the spin-offs.

The Clone Wars version worked...for a cartoon.I can't see how it's better to have a 30's style announcer zip through some exposition to the backdrop of flashbacks to start a movie,than the classic crawl over Williams masterful score.

Nobody's saying they should do the The Clone War's announcement to start the show, just an example how the opening crawl doesn't always fit every kind of story. For the Episodes it's indeed obligatory, but for the spin-offs? Should a Director realy need to change the way he wants to tell his story in order to fit in the SW opening crawl?

Be varied, if you want to tell an epic story set in the past about Jedi knights and want a style similar to Lord of the Rings, then you can use that type of explanation for people to know what's hapening, if you want to do a Man with no Name type of film with the hero we don't need to know much about, then don't feel obligated to explain what has happened up to that point.

The Spin-off's will have the opening crawl. Gary Whitta who is writing the first spin-off confirmed it by showing the first lines of his script.

CreateThumbNail.aspx

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=17993

His will have, not all of them should be forced to do so, as i said, stuff like Flashbacks or slow-mo would feel incredibly out of place in the Episodes, but the spin-off should be allowed to branch out, not offer more of the same.

The Spin-off's will have the opening crawl. Gary Whitta who is writing the first spin-off confirmed it by showing the first lines of his script.

CreateThumbNail.aspx

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=17993

I think having the 'Galaxy...' line in each of them is really cool. A big long yellow crawl to the Star Wars theme? Nah. What if the movie doesn't even use that theme in it? It seems a pretty big thing, thematically and otherwise, to be obligatory. I think for a movie that's less epic than the Episodes, having just the blue far away line... and then fading into something more subdued sounds fun.

The crawl is a throwback to the old serials. Even the Clone Wars had a "crawl" per se before each episode in the form of a voice over that caught you up and gave the episode context. The movie doesn't need to have an Episode number to deserve a crawl. As for the theme. The crawl theme is is associated with Star Wars in general not just the Episode movies. Every person on this planet not living under a rock hears it and thinks Star Wars so that theme will likely be in the standalone movies and play during the crawl.

Last edited:
His will have, not all of them should be forced to do so, as i said, stuff like Flashbacks or slow-mo would feel incredibly out of place in the Episodes, but the spin-off should be allowed to branch out, not offer more of the same.

I see your argument, and I would tend to agree; if the standalone story is better served without the scrawl, it would be better not to have it. That said, I have a hard time picturing Disney allowing the film-makers to not include it. The scrawl is iconic and seen by most as a recognizable part of the brand. And, to the corporate heads, brand is almost certainly going to trump the creative vision of any specific director.

I figured they wouldn't have it the stand alone movies. Keep that for the Episodes

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"