Batman Begins Would you have preferred "The Dark Knight Begins" as a title?

The Dark Knight Begins
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises

I know a lot of people who loathe "Batman Begins" as a title (I'm not sure why). Would you have been happier with all three movies connecting?

No thank you. "The Dark Knight Begins" doesn't really solve what I think those persons' problem with "Batman Begins". The problem they have is the word "Begins", not "Batman". My personal concern was what they would title the sequel(s) (I doubt that Batman Begins 2 would work very well), but with "The Dark Knight", that was clearly solved.

I would not want that title. Batman is called Batman, and Im really tired of hearing The Dark Knight. As a fan since 88, Ive heard The Dark Knight term more in last 2 years than I did for 2 decades. I think that term is way overused and too much focus is put on it, it was always just one of sideterms for Batman used very rarely, just like any other terms aside from the actual name, which is Batman

I agree, except I don't think "The Dark Knight" nickname is overused.

The only reason "The Dark Knight" is part of the third movie is because if TDK didn't do a billion dollars, it would of just been a "Batman" title most likely, but TDK is now a brand name when it comes to marketing a Batman movie.

The problem I've always had with Batman Begins (and now The Dark Knight Rises) is that I'm not really a big fan of titles that contain an action.

Batman Begins
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Goes to the Store

I'm just weird like that.

The problem I've always had with Batman Begins (and now The Dark Knight Rises) is that I'm not really a big fan of titles that contain an action.

Batman Begins
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Goes to the Store

Yeah, the joke me and my friends had in 2005 was:

Batman Begins
Batman Continues
Batman Ends

I think The Dark Knight Begins sounds cool. But only really cuz it sounds 'night begins' as if night had fallen on Gotham, the TDK's 'the dawn is coming' would fit. But yeah...

Batman Begins
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Goes to the Store

You must hate the Ernest movies then. :oldrazz:

Even though I LOVE the Nolan Batman films, I'm not crazy about his titles.

The Dark Knight is fine. No complaints.

Batman Begins seems like "Hey! It's catchy! It uses double "B" sounds!", and that's my complaint with it. Plus, it just seems dumb... Begins? Begins what? It's like calling it "Batman Starts" or "Batman Commences"... I don't know. It's not a bad title. It fits the film fine thematically... but it's not an amazing title.

Without having seen the movie, I think The Dark Knight Rises is a lazy title.

Last edited:
I don't mind the alliteration, as it's a comic book thing, and I want atleast one movie in the series to actually have Batman in the title. There's nothing wrong with being direct.

I like the suggestion of having Batman in every title as others have suggested;

Batman Begins
Batman: The Dark Knight
Batman: Return of the Knight?

Holy *****. Seriously. Why are we debating a movie title when clearly Bruce Wayne Begins would have been better.

No that would have been stupid, imo. It's too goofy.

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises are perfect.

howabout The Dark Detective?

Then Englehart really would've had a ****fit about WB "stealing" his ideas and not giving him enough credit. He already says TDK is his Dark Detective run on comics... and frankly, I've read that run and it's pretty unoriginal of him to have made a character and make him a total clone of Dent. Seriously Steve? That's the best you could do? Rip off Dent, pair him with Silver St Cloud, and have Dent mentor him in being Dent?:doh:

Just found this thread. Eh. The Dark Knight Rises, Batman Rises? Pretty much the same and The Dark Knight gives it more of a sense of grandeur and scope given "Batman" still can evoke Adam West or George Clooney with rubber nipples for some.

But I would have gone with a different title. I liked something simple and elegant like "GOTHAM" or "GOTHAM DAWN" given Harvey Dent's important and trilogy-defining speech in TDK (though perhaps in lieu of Twilight, avoiding "Dawn" is a wise decision).

But TDKR is the title and I am fine with that.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of The Dark Knight Rises.

I would've preferred that they went with something unrelated to The Dark Knight...like they did with BB and TDK.

Granted, all of the other suggested titles I've heard have been pretty crappy (Sorry DA).

I was a bit surprised at The Dark Knight Rises the first time I heard the title. It grew on me though and I became a big fan of it. It's an odd choice for the title but it seems absolutely fitting

No. Batman Begins works best. He's just establishing his character of "The Batman", it's a smooth title. Plus it works on duel levels as a gradual transition for the general audience. All previous movies were titles with the usage of the word "Batman" ...

"The Dark Knight" is still one of the coolest film titles. It echoes the theme of the movie, it let's you know that it's the "darkest" chapter of the saga (the hero fails), and WB / DC is lucky enough to have two characters with distinctly cool alternative alias that are popular enough that people INSTANTLY recognize who is being talked about.

I mean Batman is almost as often referred to as TDK as he is Batman, or "the Batman"

Batman actually has 3 names he's known by the world over. Batman, The Dark Knight, and Caped Crusader.

I thought it brought a distinct amount of unique-ness to call the 2nd film "The Dark Knight"

And we would've lost that with "The Dark Knight Begins"

No. Batman Begins is fine.

Though "Batman: Year One" or simply "The Batman" would have been better.

This actually fits with the trilogy with the whole 'Dark Knight' theme. Though I have nothing wrong with Batman Begins as it fits the start of Batman's journey.

Last edited:
I think with Batman Begins, he hadn't quite earned his stripes to be called The Dark Knight, as he's just starting out and is basically known as a vigilante with a costume, but as he gets more recognised through the sequel for his exploits he takes on more of a "Knight" role. And is named as such by Gordon. Just an idea.

I always liked the title Batman Strikes.

It's corny, I know. But it has a certain catchiness to it.

I like how it's:
Batman Begins - 2 Words
The Dark Knight - 3 Words
The Dark Knight Rises - 4 Words
They should make a prequel in the universe called just "Gotham" or something. Then it'd be a perfect pattern.

Edit:
Actually no, Nolan shouldn't stop there. He should revolutionise cinema by creating a film in the franchise without a title. Perfecto. :o

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"