WW Philly News

Zaptoitnow

Sidekick
Reaction score
All taken from Newsarama

General Marvel

-A frequent question about Marvel's vampire hunter has been answered. In September, Marc Guggenheim writes the new Blade ongoing series: http://www.newsarama.com/WWPhilly06/Marvel/MondoMvl/BladeGuggen.html

- Asked what the worst idea he ever greenlit, Quesada paused for a moment to think, during which Brevoort commented, "Daredevil: Father," which earned laughter from the audience. After making an unseen hand gesture to the editor, Quesada said that there were two projects by the same creator that he approved early in his tenure, but declined to name them.

- When asked why his weekly Newsarama Q&A Joe Fridays ended with installment #52, Quesada offered no comment, aside from stressing how much he enjoyed the experience and expressing a hope that he may be able to do something like it again.

- Will Thor be seen in the Marvel Universe sometime in the coming year? "Maybe not even a year," Brevoort teased, plying that a return is more imminent than a year.

- Gone for years, but not forgotten, Hellstorm: Son of Satan is coming back to Marvel where he should be - as a MAX miniseries by Alexander Irvine and Russell Braun: http://www.newsarama.com/WWPhilly06/Marvel/MondoMvl/Alonso_Hellstorm.html

-Marvel’s new cosmic Beyond! mini-series bows in July with six issues by Dwayne McDuffie and Scott Kolins featuring “a broad assortment of Marvel characters thrown into the far reaches of space” including the most recent take on Venom who will also show up later after Civil War concludes. Brevoort explained that Eddie Brock was not dead, but in the hospital and out of commission for the foreseeable future. Brevoort claims to have no idea what’s “beyond Beyond!” including what happens to the team’s cast members such as new teen hero Gravity.

-British hero Union Jack will show up in Captain America this summer and springboards into a mini-series planned for September. The four-issue project will feature a number of international Marvel characters from creative team Chris Gage and Mike Perkins. “If you’re digging Cap, it’s an ancillary project in the same vein,” promised Brevoort.

-The “Planet Hulk” event moves into its next phase with artist Aaron Lopresti coming on board and “doing career best work” on the “Anarchy” phase of the story, said Pak. “Things are going to get deeper and darker” with shocking revelations regarding Hulk’s latest insectoid sidekick Meek. Pak added that “Hulk will continue to smash.” In response to audience questions, the writer explained that the series takes place before the events of Annihilation, including the lynchpin Giant Size Hulk #1 in June with story duties split between Pak and Lopresti and Peter David and Juan Santa Cruz. Readers interested in spreading the word on the series can watch an original “Planet Hulk” trailer created by the writer at pakbuzz.com as well as Marvel’s own website.

Ultimate Marvel News

- Asked about Ultimate Iron Man II, Quesada said that it is still in the works, and believes that writer Orson Scott Card has completed two issues of the five issue miniseries. Marvel is waiting for Card's schedule to clear a little so he can complete the remaining three issues.

X-Men

-The panel began, following tradition, with a slideshow of upcoming X-titles, covering titles coming in July and August, focusing on art from the upcoming (respective) Ed Brubaker and Mike Carey runs on Uncanny X-Men and X-Men. When Quesada reached the cover to Astonishing X-Men #16, which features Kitty Pryde, Quesada noted that the issue, which is the end of the arc, would redefine Kitty as a character, adding that she is writer Joss Whedon's favorite character among the X-Men.

-New projects announced included X-Men: Phoenix - Warsong by Greg Pak and Tyler Kirkham, as well as X-Men: First Class, written by Jeff Parker, with art by Roger Cruz, and edited by Mark Paniccia. The eight issue miniseries takes place during the initial years of the X-Men, shortly after they were assembled by Professor Xavier.

- Link to Warsong Pak Interview: http://www.newsarama.com/WWPhilly06/Marvel/Pak_Warsong.html

Following the slides, the panel moved to Q&A. Topics covered included:

- Craig Yost and Craig Kyle will continue as the writing team on New X-Men for the foreseeable future, and are also currently working on a new X-23 miniseries. Brevoort joked that the mini would be called "X-24," though it wasn't made clear if the new miniseries will follow the first X-23 miniseries directly, or will be more closely related to New X-Men.

- In regards to Astonishing X-Men, Quesada said that the Whedon/John Cassaday series will continue to "walk between the raindrops" of what's going on the larger Marvel Universe. The series is in continuity, Quesada reiterated, but, as he sees it, it stands on its own, virtually its own little X-Men movie.

- Asked for hints as to what's coming up in Ultimate X-Men, Barber gave perhaps the worst, most obtuse tease ever in the history of comic convention panels, and replied, "it won't be getting digital satellite anytime soon." Barber's comment even took Quesada aback, who asked the associate editor to explain just what the heck he was talking about. Trying to make up for his comment, Barber offered up one word: "Cable."

- When asked about X3, Quesada said that the movie was a lot of fun and a good X-Men story. "Sure, it had some holes," Quesada joked, "But hey, so do the comics." Over 40 years of monthly stories, Quesada said alter, there will always be things that don't fit together as tightly as readers would like.

- Chris Claremont's upcoming title, GeNext is still on hiatus as the creator recovers from heart troubles. Quesada said that X-editor Mike Marts visited Claremont last week, and the acclaimed writer is on the mend, but wants to take things slow, and is taking the time to fully recover. The project will come out, Quesada added, whenever Claremont is ready to return to work.

- Cable/Deadpool will continue as a series, despite the fact that Cable will be joining one of the core X-Men teams.

- Quesada said that he feels there's no reason for Marvel to "experiment" with a weekly series akin to DC's 52. The EiC reiterated comments he'd previously made in Joe Fridays, saying that if they did one, it would have to be story driven, and if they came across a story that needs to be told weekly, they would consider doing it.

- Asked what project brought about the most heated fight at Marvel, the answer quickly came back of Wolverine: Origin. Quesada reiterated the story of former Marvel President asking why the comics hadn't told the origin story of Wolverine, and his warning that if they didn't do it in the comics, Hollywood was going to do it in the movies. Brevoort added that bringing Captain America's formerly dead sidekick Bucky back to life also resulted in a heated debate in the offices.

- Storm will continue to have a role in the X-titles, it was said. Quesada again explained the wedding as a "marriage between the X-Men and the Avengers," adding that Storm won't be a regular in any of the core books for the foreseeable future.

- Asked if there was a hope that Rictor could get his powers back after losing them as a result of House of M, Quesada, riffing on his infamous "dead is dead" dictum added a new line to his repertoire: "depowered is depowered." Although Brevoort added a tad of uncertainty on the line, saying that Quicksilver will spend time in Mutant Town during Civil War, and may be in a position to affect Rictor's life.

- Asked if anything will be done with the suggestion that Wolverine has a brother, Quesada tersely replied, "Good question, next?"

Along those lines, Quesada said that there is a connection between Wolverine and Sabretooth, and it will be explored soon, and is not what fans are expecting.

Spider-Man

- Asked if Marvel is looking to clear up the Gwen Stacy story, Quesada teased that there are more stories to be told.

- Along those lines, the Spider-Man/Mary Jane wedding came up as a topic for discussion, with Quesada saying that he felt the weeding between the characters was a "jump the shark" moment for Spider-Man. Brevoort essentially agreed with Quesada, adding that he feels there's more than can be done with a single Peter Parker/Spider-Man than can be done with a married one.

- There are plans for Ultimate Venom and Carnage in the future.

I likd the way that Pak simplifies the Pheonix history in his paragraph. I like his take on everything.

The new Blade series is cool for Blade fans, predictable the including of Spider-Man in its first issues though.

I'm in for Blade and Union Jack.Those preview pages at CBR by Perkins were very nice.

Uncanny looks good too.Might wait to see how most people like it before I pick it up.

Damn it Marvel! Now I have to drop something to pick up Blade.

Another 1602 title? Marvel if Gaiman aint writing it Darth aint buying it.

All of it sounds great to me except for the Cable thing - I don't like characters apeparing in multiple comics unless they clarify that they are occurring in different timeframes.

I hate it with the fire of a billion burning babies. I'm not interested in seeing a bunch of new writers literally massacre half the cast that the creators created and got me to enjoy. Yost and Kyle clearly have no respect or appreciation for the work on these characters that came before them if all they're going to do is make these kids look like ******s and then kill them off.

Good news about the Blade ongoing, bad that I'm going to have to drop something to afford it.

I couldn't disagree more, Brianwilly. More writers need to take notice of what Kyle and Yost are doing, and emulate it. I don't know about you, but I like reading a book with actual tension and risk, where people actually DIE and stay dead. Most of the time when you read comics, there's no real care for the characters, because there's no true risk.

taskmaster said:
Good news about the Blade ongoing, bad that I'm going to have to drop something to afford it.

I'm just gonna slot it in where Young Avengers used to be on my pull list, until YA returns.

Kotagg said:
I couldn't disagree more, Brianwilly. More writers need to take notice of what Kyle and Yost are doing, and emulate it. I don't know about you, but I like reading a book with actual tension and risk, where people actually DIE and stay dead. Most of the time when you read comics, there's no real care for the characters, because there's no true risk.
Well, I just happen to think that the draw of a certain writer should include more than the fact that he or she tends to kill a lot of people.

Silly, I know.

Nah, not at all - but that's not their only draw. They also write simple character interaction better than the vast majority of comic writers out there. When their characters talk to each other, they *feel* real.

Don't get me wrong, I can see where you're coming from. Shock treatment isn't the best way to tell a story. I just disagree with your evaluation of that being their only draw.

BrianWilly said:
Well, I just happen to think that the draw of a certain writer should include more than the fact that he or she tends to kill a lot of people.

Silly, I know.
Sounds like you aren't actually reading it. The story is actually VERY good, and the attention to continuity, as well as the idea that ANYTHING can happen, makes it a very unique read.

Marcdachamp said:
Sounds like you aren't actually reading it. The story is actually VERY good, and the attention to continuity, as well as the idea that ANYTHING can happen, makes it a very unique read.

Yeah the story is good and the continuity is tight, its selling point is however that theyre killing people left and right.

Darthphere said:
Another 1602 title? Marvel if Gaiman aint writing it Darth aint buying it.
What about PAD? ;)

Now I might buy it. PAD has some interesting ideas. I'll wait for the trade, though. If it's good, it'll look nice next to my 1602 trade. Too bad about Murdoch being left out. He was my favorite character in 1602. :(

Darthphere said:
Yeah the story is good and the continuity is tight, its selling point is however that theyre killing people left and right.

I wasn't feeling NewX-men at first, but if it means less mutants all over the place it's cool with me.

Marcdachamp said:
I've read enough. I stopped around the time the bus exploded, since it was clear that the book isn't interested in doing anything but making a angst-ridden mess out of my favorite characters.

One of my favorite things about the old series is that there was more character development and interesting storylines going on per page than a lot of the other X-books could attempt to cram into a single issue, and they did all this without having to sacrifice anyone, literally, for the sake of a cheap thrill.

Either these guys are the greatest teasers in the history of comics or they're the worst.

Basically...

Eddie Brock isn't dead. Right. We only saw his wrists slit in Marvel Knights Spider-Man. So...in the future I see Eddie Brock bonding back with the Venom symbiote. And MJ is probably going to bite the big one or be taking half of Peter's assests...whatever those may be. And all just in time for the Spider-Man 3 movie, right?

Predictable Marvel style of making the comics like the movies.

Spidey 1 gave us organics in the comics.

Spidey 2 gave us a Matrix, more muscular Doctor Octopus in the comics

Spidey 3...possibly a dead MJ and the return of Brock as Venom.

At least try to be a LITTLE more secretive about it. :o

I'm really dreading MJ's future prospects at this point. Seems like every interview these days we get a comment about how Peter's marriage was a mistake, Peter would have more storytelling potential single, blah, blah, romantic subplots, blah, blah, stifling the character's growth, blah, blah, bliggity blah. Basically just every way of saying, "We don't get how to make Peter compelling with a wife, so we're gonna get rid of her and make things easier on ourselves." :o

TheCorpulent1 said:
I'm really dreading MJ's future prospects at this point. Seems like every interview these days we get a comment about how Peter's marriage was a mistake, Peter would have more storytelling potential single, blah, blah, romantic subplots, blah, blah, stifling the character's growth, blah, blah, bliggity blah. Basically just every way of saying, "We don't get how to make Peter compelling with a wife, so we're gonna get rid of her and make things easier on ourselves." :o

Its really a wonder that they dont put this much hate in Sue and reed getting married and having a kid in an 8 year span after their debut. I shudder to think what could happen.

Presumably that's because the FF are the family archetype. They're the answer to the question, "What if an American family became superheroes?" Peter was the answer to, "What if the average slob became a superhero?" and I've heard it said that a supermodel wife doesn't really lend itself to empathy from the average slob. I call bull****, however, since MJ hasn't been a model for a while, she's just been a devoted, loving wife that Peter occasionally has some rocky patches with more than anything else, which any average slob who grows up a bit (like Peter's done over the years) can empathize with just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"