X-Men Comics

TheCorpulent1

SHAZAM!
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting back into an X-Men series or two (I don't really count AXM, which I'm already reading, as a series since it comes out so irregularly). I need some help deciding which one, though. I've heard both Brubaker and Carey are both doing great work with their comics, but I'm wary. Brubaker's seems to be running off of Deadly Genesis' steam, and Deadly Genesis blew hard monkey chunks. I'm intrigued by both books' rosters, but neither really overwhelmingly attracts me.

So I'm looking for opinions on which is better from those who read them. Who are the artists, how good a job are they doing, what's going on in each story, etc.? Convince me to buy either X-Men or Uncanny X-Men (or other X-titles outside of AXM and X-Factor, which I already read, and Ultimate X-Men, which I will never read).

I've started picking up X-Factor from the start, and it's very good. I hear mixed things about New X-Men, but I haven't read since the first few issues; not my cup of tea.

I only pick up X-Factor and Astonishing, though I might pick up the X-Men trade when it comes out, I can't help but be impressed with Bachalo's art from what I've seen. I wanted to try out Uncanny when Brubaker jumped on, but it seems like I did good not getting into a ****ing 12 issue arc. And I have never had a lick of interest in New X-Men.

I recommend Cable & Deadpool and the next arc of Uncanny

Bachalo is on X-Men and he completely blows. I have never seen someone who actually tries to confuse the reader like he does. I guess the story is alright, but his art obfuscates everything. The one issue he didn't draw, I was actually enjoying the story. Bottom line: if you're not a Bachalo fan..avoid like the plague.

I, in general, liked the story in Uncanny, but it just seemed like a lot of set-up. Bru does so well in everything else he does, but can't seem to get it going in Uncanny. It doesn't help that I don't particularly care about some of his team members (Havok, Polaris, Marvel Girl). I guess that would be my pick for you, based partly on track record. I would love to see this team of X-Men involved in the aftermath of Annhilation, since they're out in space anyway. Billy Tan does a much better job here than in the spider-title he was on.

Bachalo is on X-Men and he completely blows. I have never seen someone who actually tries to confuse the reader like he does. I guess the story is alright, but his art obfuscates everything. The one issue he didn't draw, I was actually enjoying the story. Bottom line: if you're not a Bachalo fan..avoid like the plague.

See, but that's the thing, I've never liked his art, ever. But I see the X-Men pages and such and for some reason I'm drawn to it, especially his Cannonball.:huh:

Maybe as individual pics. But he throws so much background crap at you, that it's hard to tell what's going on. If he would just simplify things, he'd be fine. I really have no idea why he does what he does. I mean, I'm all for having a style, but it shouldn't overshadow the storytelling.

Hm. I'd hold off on buying any X-books until the summer's over Corp. with the big summer event going on and the shake-ups that will inevitable follow; Sept may be a good time to jumo into the X-world.

I highly recommend New X-Men though :up::up:

While X-Men is a bit better than usual, I just can't get excited about it. I think Uncanny is doing a pretty good job, much better than Deadly Genesis. It's actually made that storyline a whole lot more interesting.

Of course, two favorites are X-Factor and New X-Men. Out of all of them, I might choose New X-Men, because they are doing the best job of taking old X-Men storylines and incorporating them into new ones. We've seen Nimrod and now we are off to a good start with Magik.

Uncanny has just gotten stale to me. It wraps up this month, thank God. The stuff coming up next with Storm doesn't exactly make me tingle with excitement but at least they won't be in space anymore.

I like Havok and I used to like Polaris before Austen crazied her up again and made her Magneto's actual daughter. Mutants with identical powers to their parents are so boring. I like the rest of the team and am curious to see how Warpath fills Wolverine's role as the resident badass-for-badassness'-sake. I think Tan's been doing a surprisingly good job based on everything I've seen of his art on Uncanny, too.

I've been liking a lot of Bachalo's X-Men preview art lately, but I haven't seen much of the interiors. I remember the last X-Men arc I read that Bachalo penciled was "Assault on Weapon Plus," and I couldn't understand a goddamn thing in that arc. If he's still being all confusing, I'm less than enthused. Plus, I think I saw something about Humberto Ramos taking over X-Men, and I loathe his style.

Like Darthphere, I've never been interested in New X-Men. I may take a look at the Magik arc, just to see what the hell is going on with her and why she's not dead, but I doubt I'll read it long-term.

Looks like Uncanny it is. Thanks, everyone. :up:

I like Havok and I used to like Polaris before Austen crazied her up again and made her Magneto's actual daughter. Mutants with identical powers to their parents are so boring. I like the rest of the team and am curious to see how Warpath fills Wolverine's role as the resident badass-for-badassness'-sake. I think Tan's been doing a surprisingly good job based on everything I've seen of his art on Uncanny, too.

I've been liking a lot of Bachalo's X-Men preview art lately, but I haven't seen much of the interiors. I remember the last X-Men arc I read that Bachalo penciled was "Assault on Weapon Plus," and I couldn't understand a goddamn thing in that arc. If he's still being all confusing, I'm less than enthused. Plus, I think I saw something about Humberto Ramos taking over X-Men, and I loathe his style.

Like Darthphere, I've never been interested in New X-Men. I may take a look at the Magik arc, just to see what the hell is going on with her and why she's not dead, but I doubt I'll read it long-term.

Looks like Uncanny it is. Thanks, everyone. :up:

I think Bachalo and Ramos are alternating.:huh:

I'll be sure not to go near X-Men, then. Any comic Ramos is penciling regularly gets the stamp of disapproval from me.

I've always wondered if she has identical powers to her parent doesn't that make her not a mutant?

God, how to explain:

Some **** about a Mummudrai(the type of thing Cass Nova is) coming to Earth to warn us about the Hecatomb(big bad monster thing that Bachalo can't seem to draw). The Mummudrai has bonded with Cable after leaving Lady Mastermind and Mystique and they(Mum and Cable) are about to lay the smackdown on the Hec.

"Lady Mastermind"? :o

And Cable is back to his gun-toting psychopath thing now, right? God, I miss the days when he had uncharted telepathic and telekinetic raw power.

Yeah, his powers make no sense right now, but I think this bonding with the Mumm may grant him back his old teke and telepathy.

This is my first exposure to Lady Mastermind so I know squat about that snarky broad.

I thought Cassandra Nova was the Prof's evil twin sister. :huh:

God, how to explain:

Some **** about a Mummudrai(the type of thing Cass Nova is) coming to Earth to warn us about the Hecatomb(big bad monster thing that Bachalo can't seem to draw). The Mummudrai has bonded with Cable after leaving Lady Mastermind and Mystique and they(Mum and Cable) are about to lay the smackdown on the Hec.

I stopped reading after Mummudrai.

Yeah, but she's apparently a Mummudrai.

The Mummudrai in the Marvel Universe are noncorporeal, parasitic life forms, composed solely of emotional energy born from the astral plane of existence. The first and most notable member of the mummudrai species to appear on panel is Cassandra Nova.

The Mummudrai concept was first introduced in Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men [1]. Cassandra Nova was revealed to be Professor X's twin. Unlike most mummudrai, she was able to build a body for herself due to becoming entangled with Xavier's powerful psyche in the womb and utilizing the vast potential in his genome. Upon sensing the existence of an alien entity in his mother's womb and perhaps perceiving the damage it would cause, Xavier murdered his twin sister. It spent most of its life building itself a new body and then set a vengeance plan against its twin by killing over 16 million mutants on Genosha, destroying the Shi'ar Empire (who first discovered the mummudrai), outing him to the world as a mutant before being tricked by Emma Frost into entering the body of Stuff, an amoeba-like metamorph (and member of the Shi'ar Imperial Guard) with a biocomputer for a brain.

The second Mummudrai shown (named Ev Teel Urizen) seems to have taken possession of Lady Mastermind[2]. Upon being discovered by its host, it attempted to escape by possessing Mystique before being subdued by Cable. Urizen then stated that it had come from "the edge of Shi'ar space" and was fleeing from an entity known as the Hecatomb, which was coming to "eat the world."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"