Rate and Review Black Widow!

Has anybody written an article or done a video about the various fight moves Taskmaster used and the characters associated with them?
If so, I would be very interested in seeing all of that.
Thanks, In Advance!

Just completed my second watch and I definitely enjoyed it better than my first. The family stuff is gold and all the actors do a great job with it. The action, on my first viewing I was let down by and while I still missed that sort of fight that makes you say “Hot Da**” what we got was decent.

Hope to see more of Yelena, Melina, and Alexi in a BW2.

Just completed my second watch and I definitely enjoyed it better than my first. The family stuff is gold and all the actors do a great job with it. The action, on my first viewing I was let down by and while I still missed that sort of fight that makes you say “Hot Da**” what we got was decent.

Hope to see more of Yelena, Melina, and Alexi in a BW2.
I think the action starts off pretty strong. The first Taskmaster encounter, the chase and the fight between Yelena and Nat are all really solid. It's just the consequent ones aren't anything great

Yup the one with Yelena kinda reminds me of one of my fave fights in Kill bill the one with The Bride vs Vernita Green.

I broke down and saw it this weekend, and I thought it was among the better Marvel films. Not top five, but probably top ten. Really liked the main family, and Yelena in particular I loved and can't wait to see more of that character. The first two acts might have even approached Winter Soldier level. But it sags a bit at the end. I didn't really buy into the villain's plan. Maybe if we saw a bit of it in action, but he just talks about it and never seemed close to pulling it off. All I was thinking was "yeah, that's sounds ambitious, but you will last about 2 minutes before Thor or Iron Man shows up and blows you and your station into a million pieces." Even the protagonists didn't seem very concerned. At least we get some good action out of it.

Still though, like I said, if this isn't in the very top tier of the MCU then it would be in the next one down. I really enjoyed it. 8/10

I’ve seen some positive reviews on this thread which I’m surprised at.

For me it’s hands down the worst MCU movie by an absolute mile.

Previously Iron Man 3 had that honour but this is even worse.

I’d be tempted to give it a 3/10. Seriously.

I usually rank MCU films based on two criteria:

a) the film itself; and
b) it’s contribution to the MCU.

It fails at both.

The film is a mess. It’s too long and boring, and pretty disjointed. It’s almost like they refused to do the obvious thing and show her origin story. Maybe it would’ve been too Red Sparrow (which I like). Instead they pick up at just the oddest points in her life: after she loses her REAL mother; and then it jumps forward to that awkward period between Civil War and Infinity War.

The fake family stuff is just bizarre. Why would either of the girls want anything to do with their fake parents after what they did to them? And the father’s character goes from serious to farce. Why they feel the need to portray a male character as a farce is beyond me. It undermines any feminist points in the film.

What could’ve been a really interesting psychological thriller about how the characters break free from mind control is ruined by some magic potion. Puff and everything is back to normal.

Why they felt the need to make Black Widow and SHIELD child killers is also beyond me but having gone nuclear, they screwed it up by bringing the daughter back from the dead. Speaking of which Taskmaster was far too try hard to be truly frightening.

Then there was all the James Bond/Jason Bourne/Mission Impossible nonsense that seemed to take the worst parts of those movies and fly them together in a CGI mess.

I’ve almost forgotten the second criteria. The film adds nothing to the MCU and creates continuity issues. One thing I was interested to see was if they were going to explain how Black Widow fought aliens and super heroes. But it turns out she’s just got good “genes”. Watch out Proxima Midnight!

Introducing yet another super soldier (one who is then used as a punch line) then screws the whole narrative around Captain America which The Falcon and the Winter Soldier had already ruined.

Finally the other thing I was looking for from this movie was closure for the character after she was denied a proper funeral in End Game. Well there’s no funeral here. The only reference to her death is left to the credit scene. After the briefest of emotionally engaging moments it turns farce. And then turns on her best friend.

Awful. I’m changing my rating to 1/10.

As far as contributions to the MCU, it seems to have set up several different plot threads related to both Yelena and Val.

I broke down and saw it this weekend, and I thought it was among the better Marvel films. Not top five, but probably top ten. Really liked the main family, and Yelena in particular I loved and can't wait to see more of that character. The first two acts might have even approached Winter Soldier level. But it sags a bit at the end. I didn't really buy into the villain's plan. Maybe if we saw a bit of it in action, but he just talks about it and never seemed close to pulling it off. All I was thinking was "yeah, that's sounds ambitious, but you will last about 2 minutes before Thor or Iron Man shows up and blows you and your station into a million pieces."

To be fair, I've often thought the same thing about Hydra's Helicarrier plan in TWS. What was Robert Redford gonna do if Thor showed up to spoil his party? Send Bucky after him?

To be fair, I've often thought the same thing about Hydra's Helicarrier plan in TWS. What was Robert Redford gonna do if Thor showed up to spoil his party? Send Bucky after him?

Wasn't the plan there to take down Hydra's enemies in one quick pre-emptive strike? By the time Thor responded it would have been too late. But here they were just sleeper agents.

. . .the movie pretty much calls out Dreykov as being deluded, right? Yes, he talked a big game about being the new secret master of the world, but it wasn't just subtext that his megalomania way outstripped his actual power. Natasha all but openly told him to his face that his plan was bull****, and that he was a coward hiding away from the world unwilling to have anywhere nearby who wasn't his brainwashed slave. The fact that he couldn't actually succeed in the longer term isn't a flaw; its the plot of the movie. "Here is a mid tier villain whose dreams come undone the moment he comes to the attention of an Avengers-class hero".

Just got back. Good movie. Not great but a perfectly solid outing. All the performances were on point, the action was good and the third act had some nice little twists that kept me off balance and engaged. It really does amble lazily through the first act tho. It’s not until Budapest that the film really kicks in and I can see how some people might have checked out by then. Me, I’m fine with a movie that takes its time and it ends up being worth it. I’d give it a 7/10.

Saw it last night and enjoyed it overall. The first hour or so I thought this was shaping up to be one of the best MCU movies, but after the excellent dinner table scene it just seemed to go downhill. I think a more intimate and less flashy finale would have been better here.

Harbour and Pugh were highlights and can't wait to see more of them. Humour was hit and miss but the hits were really good. Some good emotional moments too.

The villains were a let down though and I straight out didn't like what they did with Taskmaster.

But a good send off for ScarJo and I do think it will be one of those movies that benefits from re-watches. 7/10 for now.

I really enjoyed the movie, I thought the story was both a good stand alone in my favourite lane as well as adding some nice depth to Natasha, finally filling in the Budapest backstory and introducing a great set of new characters in her "family". Yelena is an instant winner, sexy, spunky and with lots of sarcastic humour, the running gag over Nat's posing was funny. Rachel Weisz does a good job with the least to work with and David Harbour was very entertaining as the comic relief. The chemistry between Nat and Yelena is the movies driving force, with banter you rarely see between female characters.

The tone is very much like the Bourne movies while the big set pieces are Bond style, especially the sequence where they broke Red Guardian out. The action sequences are really well done, the bike/car chase was dynamic and the breakout sequence was great spectacle, snow bases and choppers? Yes please! :D The bridge showdown with Nat and Taskmaster was edited a tad choppily imo, at least on first viewing, but the finale with them plummeting through the air after she saves Yelena was spectacular.

Overall it hit all the notes I was looking for, a good espionage story, an exploration of the idea of family, finally finding out what happened in Budapest, big action sequences, Nat getting her solo spotlight, Yelena being a breakout character and a decent dollop of humour. I do think they didn't need to use Taskmaster for the character in this movie, they could have just invented a new assassin character, but I thought Ray Winstone brought a lot of menace to Dreykov and I liked his final showdown with Nat, as it was a cool riff on the way she played Loki in the Avengers.

Saw this the other day at the theater. 6/10 for me.

Pros:
- It definitely felt different for a Marvel movie and more grounded/realistic than other MCU movies. Really felt like a serious drama/thriller at first.
- The family dinner/house scene was great and really solidified the characters.
- Florence Pugh was a good addition to the MCU and I'd be interested to see more of her character in future MCU movies.

Cons:
- For a movie called Black Widow, it wasn't really about her that much.
- The action scenes and fight choreography could've been better.
- Plot/writing was lacking.
- Taskmaster was just....what were they thinking? And I pretty much only know the character from his appearances in animated Marvel shows.

Also, seeing Rachel Weisz in tight black leather was HOT! And honestly made me think she could've played Black Widow herself when she was younger, or heck, even now. I used to think Emily Blunt could've been good in the past, but seeing Weisz in this movie made me want to see her as Black Widow more.

As far as contributions to the MCU, it seems to have set up several different plot threads related to both Yelena and Val.

Yes but I’m more interested in how it builds on what has gone before rather than setting up the next cash cow.

And it adds nothing to either Black Widow’s character in her send off, or the MCU canon overall.

I’ve seen some positive reviews on this thread which I’m surprised at.

For me it’s hands down the worst MCU movie by an absolute mile.

Previously Iron Man 3 had that honour but this is even worse.

I’d be tempted to give it a 3/10. Seriously.

I usually rank MCU films based on two criteria:

a) the film itself; and
b) it’s contribution to the MCU.

It fails at both.

The film is a mess. It’s too long and boring, and pretty disjointed. It’s almost like they refused to do the obvious thing and show her origin story. Maybe it would’ve been too Red Sparrow (which I like). Instead they pick up at just the oddest points in her life: after she loses her REAL mother; and then it jumps forward to that awkward period between Civil War and Infinity War.

The fake family stuff is just bizarre. Why would either of the girls want anything to do with their fake parents after what they did to them? And the father’s character goes from serious to farce. Why they feel the need to portray a male character as a farce is beyond me. It undermines any feminist points in the film.

What could’ve been a really interesting psychological thriller about how the characters break free from mind control is ruined by some magic potion. Puff and everything is back to normal.

Why they felt the need to make Black Widow and SHIELD child killers is also beyond me but having gone nuclear, they screwed it up by bringing the daughter back from the dead. Speaking of which Taskmaster was far too try hard to be truly frightening.

Then there was all the James Bond/Jason Bourne/Mission Impossible nonsense that seemed to take the worst parts of those movies and fly them together in a CGI mess.

I’ve almost forgotten the second criteria. The film adds nothing to the MCU and creates continuity issues. One thing I was interested to see was if they were going to explain how Black Widow fought aliens and super heroes. But it turns out she’s just got good “genes”. Watch out Proxima Midnight!

Introducing yet another super soldier (one who is then used as a punch line) then screws the whole narrative around Captain America which The Falcon and the Winter Soldier had already ruined.

Finally the other thing I was looking for from this movie was closure for the character after she was denied a proper funeral in End Game. Well there’s no funeral here. The only reference to her death is left to the credit scene. After the briefest of emotionally engaging moments it turns farce. And then turns on her best friend.

Awful. I’m changing my rating to 1/10.
In terms of Yelena turning on Natasha's best friend, why would she even know that they were close?

In terms of Yelena turning on Natasha's best friend, why would she even know that they were close?
Why wouldn't Yelena, someone who also travels in the circles of world class assassins, spies and special operations type that Clint and Tasha did, be unaware her "big sister" had a running buddy at SHIELD?

Or at least... It makes no sense to target Clint with an asset like Yelena (Yes... IT MAKES FOR GREAT DRAMA, I'm not arguing against that...) who will, if she's that good will have done some due diligence on Barton and will eventually find out... Clint and Tasha were tight. Which then makes the "He killed your sister!!!!!" play suspect to say the least?

6 to light 7 for me, kind of a bummer. All the family conflict was really good. I was sold on Yelena's character (her childhood being a lie and her conflicting feelings towards her fake parents). The plot with the red room is ok, I guess? Still...

Final act was hot garbage, honestly. Worst of the MCU. Kind of sick of the CGI explosion-filled spectacles in superhero movies.

Has anybody written an article or done a video about the various fight moves Taskmaster used and the characters associated with them?
If so, I would be very interested in seeing all of that.
Thanks, In Advance!

it in the Taskmaster thread.

The third act was poorly done. Yet another Marvel movie with things blowing up and falling from the sky. They did it twice in this movie. I wish they had done something more creative. The more I think about this movie, the more I don’t care for it.

The third act was poorly done. Yet another Marvel movie with things blowing up and falling from the sky. They did it twice in this movie. I wish they had done something more creative. The more I think about this movie, the more I don’t care for it.
Actually, my favorite action scenes in the movie were some of the smaller scale stuff, Alexi's escape at the airport, the car exploding and landing in the subway leading to the subway chase, Taskmaster's Shield embedded in the wall, I LOVED ALL OF THAT!

6/10. The most important thing I took out of the film was I liked the new characters, especially Yelena, which is important because it means the movie still had something to offer even though it was centred around a character which is already dead in the overarching narrative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"