Rate and Review Black Widow!

I thoroughly enjoyed almost everything about Black Widow from beginning to end. Those opening credits were by far the best I've seen in the MCU, and maybe even anything. Smells Like Teen Spirit was a fitting choice, and I loved the arrangement- both the music and score were great. I've watched and listened to the credits, and song several times today. The direction was done well, as well as the screenwriting (tight and polished), editing, and cinematography- Marvel seems to really be doing better with color grading. And it really is a unique movie. When I wasn't saying "God, it's been so long!", I was saying "God, this feels nothing like what we've seen in the MCU!" It really does play like a Bond movie.

I think that's why Natasha is shown watching Moonraker in her cabin.

Also, the opening credits felt decidedly Bond-esque.

I didn’t expect to love this so very much. It’s definitely up there on my list of favorite MCU movies. They really hit the jackpot with the amazing and very believable chemistry of Scarlett, Florence, David, and Rachel. It’s what made the movie so special.

I really enjoyed this. It felt smaller in scale and more intimate than other Marvel movies which sets it apart. I felt it had Killing Eve/Girl with the Dragon Tattoo vibes. The only thing that let it down for me was the villain. I feel they could have done so much more with Taskmaster but it all fell a bit flat. I will definitely watch it again at some point (most likely when it's free on Disney+) and look forward to watching Yelena in future.

8/10

Really liked It! Nice send-off for both ScarJo and Nat and a great introduction to Yelena (Pugh is a terrific addition to the MCU) and hopefully Red Guardian, as I love Harbour. Third act was a bit too explode-y and Taskmaster was underwhelming, but overall another enjoyable home run for Marvel Studios.

Nice movie. Weak villains (Taskmaster just doesnt have anything interesting to do, any really good action or somethin'), predictable and finale could have been a little better, but overall, still better than most Marvel films from few last years except IW & Endgame. Florence Pugh is probably best part of the movie.

7/10

PS. clearly the best female-lead superhero movie yet. No, Wonder Woman wasn't even close.

8/10

Really loved this. The main things holding it back were the overly cut fight scenes, under-utilized villains and the MCU's increasingly obnoxious obsession for interrupting pivotal emotional moments with cheap gags.

But overall, it's pretty terrific! It's not Johansson's best turn as Natasha, but she certainly makes the case that she should have gotten her own franchise ages ago. And together with the rest of her "family," they make one of the strongest casts we've gotten in the MCU. All very believable and nuanced in their roles and their chemistry together is off the charts. The set-pieces were fun, the effects were good, the pacing was good. In terms of solo MCU debuts, I'd put this in the upper tier for sure, honestly the upper tier overall.

It's very mid-tier Marvel but I enjoyed it. The second half is what brings it down. There was just a lot of weird choices.

I can't help but feel bitter that this is the end of Nat the character. I still disagree with her dying in Endgame and this just hammered that home. But that's on me.

I wish the film had stayed as raw, intimate, gritty and palpably harrowing and sad as the opening credits. Those credits were groundbreaking for an MCU movie and I was really hoping the film would have stayed in that spirit. It only delved sometimes into that tone but basically felt like ok marvel fair. Decent but could have been much better

I'm not going to lie, I didn't love it. I thought it felt forced... like it should have been made at a better time, but they had to fit this in there.

I did enjoy the family dynamic... the chemistry between those actors was good.

Hated the villain. Big time.

I'd give it a 5.5-6 out of 10.

I'm just going to start by saying it feels good to have a new Marvel movie out to watch. It was fun checking in again to that world and feeling normal. The action was good. The chemistry was there. I enjoyed it a lot. However this isn't a top tier film.

We're going back to just after Civil War and the stakes are a little lower because we know Natasha will make it. There's a good story there for this one. Feels like a mini-series would've been right for this in order to get the build up, and character development paced a little better. The Red Room was a bit of a let down. Sure there are concepts they explored that make it creepy, but it just never felt like the PTSD inducing place it should have, and the packs of other Widows felt like Fembots at times. Agent Carter did a better job making it scarier with their exploration of Dotty.

I didn't hate either villian but the "reveal" I did. There should've been something else there.

Overall it's a 6 out of 10 for me as well.

Was fun, just above average, so 6 / 10 for me
Pugh was awesome but they were all great.
Dreylov... Could have more of him, horrible thing that he was.

Would like to say thank you to the general meh reviews I've seen. Lowered expectations and that certainly helped me enjoy it more haha

A solid 8.5. This movie was a lot better than I expected and I expected it to be good. One of my favorites in the MCU. The actions were some of the best in the MCU and the movie was darker and more brutal than I expected. Great drama, very good action and great characters. And I love what they did with Taskmaster.
Scarlet was perfect as Natasha. Black Widow was 100% a Natasha movie (Some of these critics need to go rewatch this. How could anyone watch that and say it was more of Yelena's movie than Natasha's.) This movie had some of Scarlet's best acting in the MCU and her chemistry with Pugh was great. I'm going to miss scarlet and Nat.
Pugh was great.
Lmao at the Pose scene. No lies told. Nat is such a poser
I love Nat's family. The red guardian is hilarious
Thank God he survived, I hope we see more of him in the future
Solid movie, I can't wait to see it again.

this was by far the worst MCU movie released since Iron Man in 2008. Without Pugh and Harbour, I would have rated this a 1/10. But because of Harbour, I give it 1 point and a full 3 points for Pugh's heartfelt, scene-stealing presence.

Florence Pugh is the best thing that happened to the MCU since Owen Wilson and Julia Louis Dreyfuss. Such a powerhouse and she is the heart of the movie. I am more than fine if they make Pugh the new Black Widow or spiritual successor. She is a better actress than Scarlett and she is more relatable and looks like the girl next door.

The pacing drove this movie down, if they just skipped the first half and got to the part where
they had their family reunion
then I would have rated this at least a 7/10.

5/10

this was by far the worst MCU movie released since Iron Man in 2008. Without Pugh and Harbour, I would have rated this a 1/10. But because of Harbour, I give it 1 point and a full 3 points for Pugh's heartfelt, scene-stealing presence.

Florence Pugh is the best thing that happened to the MCU since Owen Wilson and Julia Louis Dreyfuss. Such a powerhouse and she is the heart of the movie. I am more than fine if they make Pugh the new Black Widow or spiritual successor. She is a better actress than Scarlett and she is more relatable and looks like the girl next door.

The pacing drove this movie down, if they just skipped the first half and got to the part where
they had their family reunion
then I would have rated this at least a 7/10.

5/10
I will see the movie on Thursday.
Personally, the only way that I will dislike BW is if its worse than Thor The Dark World.
For me, that probably won't be the case.
We Shall See.

I loved it. I rate it an 8.6/10 and Iron Man 1 a 8.7/10. The mcu as a whole I put an average of 8.66/10

The only reason that's relevant is that the MCU is still going strong. Also they've kept roughly the same level of quality throughout. That's a good thing. But it does also tell me they will probably never go much higher than that average. They'd need to knockout homerun after homerun for several movies straight.

Anyway, this film. Cute at times. Crazy intense at others. Yelena and Aleksei were *dope* additions to the mcu. I even liked Melina. And Natasha did put in a good performance.

Taskmaster was... Pretty bland but if they plan on using the character again in the future with more of a personality I will forgive any boredom in this appearance.

Good stuff! Can't wait for shang chi!

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. A solo Black Widow movie never interested me. But I left the theater pretty happy. It dragged in a couple parts, and the final act wasn't that great, but the actors and characters made up for it. Hope we see more of Red Guardian in the future. And can't wait to see how the end credit scene plays out. 7.5/10

Felt like a Joss Whedon film at times with the amount of ash shots.

We know of the Bond references.
Any nods to Mission Impossible & other spy franchises?

I loved the Russian family stuff but the final act was too reminiscent of a previous MCU movies' final act. Assuming Disney releases a disc I will add it to my home library

I would probably give it a 8-8.5. I really dug a lot of stuff, such as the opening scene/credits, the action sequences, the cast, the direction, the family dynamics and humour.

The only elements I didn’t really enjoy were the fact that a lot moments of Taskmaster were in the trailers, Ray Winstone’s character, and parts of the third act.

Post credits scene got me really excited for the future.

I loved the Russian family stuff but the final act was too reminiscent of a previous MCU movies' final act. Assuming Disney releases a disc I will add it to my home library

I would probably give it a 8-8.5. I really dug a lot of stuff, such as the opening scene/credits, the action sequences, the cast, the direction, the family dynamics and humour.

The only elements I didn’t really enjoy were the fact that a lot moments of Taskmaster were in the trailers, Ray Winstone’s character, and parts of the third act.

Post credits scene got me really excited for the future.

Glad you both enjoyed it. I agree about Tasky - I think I would have enjoyed this just a little more if they didn't show pretty much all of the big Taskmaster action beats in the trailers and Winstone, I thought was good but needed to be fleshed out more.

I kind of wavered between 6 and 7. I guess I'll give it a 6.5. I don't think it was a bad movie, it just wasn't a particularly great movie. Personally I do like that Black Widow did get her own solo movie. The concept of that is great. Just wish it was a solo movie that I really got invested in or cared about by the end.

Definitely not fair, but I did end up leaving it thinking it was a less interesting Winter Soldier. Honestly I think Black Widow was way more interesting and got to shine more in that movie.

The comedy didn't really hit for me. Almost felt like the writers were trying to pitch that they could totally write for Deadpool. Trying a bit too hard to be meta and tap at the fourth wall. But comedy is really subjective so I'm not going to really hold that against the movie too much.

There was a few good action moments, a few decent surprises, and the movie existing was a nice thing. I only wish the movie had happened earlier and that it had been a bit better. It'll fit somewhere in the lower-middle part of the MCU.

Hopefully the coming MCU movies turn out a bit better. Since Endgame I'm still waiting for the next movie to really get me hyped again. I'm sure it will happen, it's just a question of when. Regardless, I think this movie was fine and I can see why some would really enjoy it. It just didn't rise above..."kind of ok" to me.

I expected this to be kinda a meh and inconsequential movie but I was genuinely surprised how good it was. The prologue and the title credits felt so unlike anything Marvel had done before. I loved them and they had me hooked immediately. Apart from that, they really did a good job showcasing how being kid spies and portraying a fake family affected Natasha and Yelena and those scenes were my favourite in the movie. The action was good too and I liked the movie as a sendoff to Natasha.

The only issue would be the villain I think. I didn’t mind Winstone’s character or the twist they did with the Taskmaster, I thought that all worked well and this movie didn’t need to focus on the villain to tell it’s story. But I didn’t like how Taskmaster really only used their abilities in that first fight scene. After that, it was just random Spidey, Cap and Panther moves which doesn’t make sense why they would do that. In the fight on the bridge, Taskmaster was perfectly mirroring Natasha and fighting her back. Afterwards they didn’t really utilise those abilities as much as they could have. Other than that, I really liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"