X-Men - Part 8

So I don't want to look it up because I don't want to see spoilers... but is this some big relaunch deal? What titles are ending?

No. Did you read Blue Annual this week? This isnt big spoilers but [BLACKOUT]it set the stage to write the O5 out of the book[/BLACKOUT]

The Gold are going to face repercussions for their actions leading up to now. In both cases we are getting new teams (likely temporary) but no relaunch. The titles will continue as is with their #25s

So I don't want to look it up because I don't want to see spoilers... but is this some big relaunch deal? What titles are ending?

Not really. Rumors are still of a relaunch, but I think that is essentially going back to Uncanny and adjectiveless, with "original" numbering. And based on the solicitations, these are just alternate teams.

Speaking of Blue Annual, this story should be really, really stupid. And it kind of is. But sign me up for that X-men/Venom interactions and the Starjammers.

I've not read the Annual yet. I'm getting caught up on Venom first. Probably in the next day or two.

This week was huge for the red headed side of the X-world, but I also thought that ANW brought it. That book is consistently one of my favourites and I think Taylor is the best writer on an X-book. It's a blessing that he got Red.

I don't normally read Avengers books, but I decided to try the No Surrender event. It's great to see Rogue, Cannonball, and Sunspot again! (And drawn by Pepe Larraz, one of the best artists)

I haven't picked up Annuals in a long time mainly because, yea, the stories have been dumb. Like no one can write a proper one shot anymore. :(

Previews are out for X-men Red. Revealing the name of their base.

It is so terrible, that I love it.

Previews are out for X-men Red. Revealing the name of their base.

It is so terrible, that I love it.
It sounds like something Gabby would have come up with.

So I love it.

This week was huge for the red headed side of the X-world, but I also thought that ANW brought it. That book is consistently one of my favourites and I think Taylor is the best writer on an X-book. It's a blessing that he got Red.

I don't normally read Avengers books, but I decided to try the No Surrender event. It's great to see Rogue, Cannonball, and Sunspot again! (And drawn by Pepe Larraz, one of the best artists)

All-New Wolverine is probably the best X-Book out there right now and has been consistently so for nearly the entirety of its run. For me, only Phoenix Resurrection comes close.

Uncanny Avengers was the only Avengers book I read because of the X-Men ties, and I was annoyed when it was essentially folded into the other Avenger books. I've been pleased with the balance though. Like you, I've missed Cannonball and Sunspot and it's nice seeing them despite them having a lighter role. I've enjoyed the spotlight on Rogue though.

Alrighty here's a video which was on the space channel and it sorta tocuh on subject on why I started X-men and to a degree the wild storm universe comic's that mimed marvelto the degree and the later animes and manga's inspired from them.

anyway here it's below only for those interested and the subject of Storm is also a part of this which is what made this even more awesome was why this pscologist chose her asher fave heroine.

show's like this have been helping's the comic stores inb canada and comic's since it's more of national show thing where I'm at .
Stateside this needs to happen a bit more.

[YT]_1q3frr6yvw[/YT]
Superhero Therapy | InnerSpace

25 views 17 hours ago
Published on 2 Feb 2018

We chat with a doctor in San Diego who practices 'Superhero Therapy.'

source: Space channel youtube channel

Last edited:
^ That's neat
All-New Wolverine is probably the best X-Book out there right now and has been consistently so for nearly the entirety of its run. For me, only Phoenix Resurrection comes close.
Knowing how Taylor writes characters, Nightcrawler will be perfect for him. I'm ready to love Kurt again since he's been so blah for a few years.

I really dont like how PR#5 and JG ended. As suspected its going to be very jarring seeing Jean jump right into action with X-men Red with no sort of epilogue to her return story. I wanted to see her reunite with everyone. I wanted to see her react to what the new landscape is in the world. I wanted to see her have that conversation with Teen Jean. As it stands, all of this happened off panel and I hate Marvel for cheating us of these moments after making us wait 14 long years

On a side note, why the hell hasnt Teen Jean told ANYONE that Wolverine is alive?

It's the byrne effect still in effect ..the writer s like the fact that the X-men don't talk to each other or share important info/ intell so that when it come to their fact it'stoo late when it's dangerous and they like them at their throuted for it.

they are still fallowing that rule he made. it wasfromthat time dave cockrum had the X0-men split up and cyclops team were in japan andcollen wing went after cylops for a date in NYC , but jean beast and prof X taught the other X-men were dead and they couldn't get in contact with them. now cyclops met misty night there and it all could have simply bee sloved but it wasn't .

and when ever people ask why didn't cyclops ask misty knight if she can help contact jean, byrne's two answer are this. it's none of her busniess and he didn't want that to happen cause they didn't want them to talk cause that how people were in his time. it's how alot of thing's that were bad hapened back in the day like serial murders etc . Alot say people how did this happen? cause of poor excuse like that.

in the writer or thew other writers don't want to have it in their storiesw currently . Cause they want dotheir own and care for nothing else buttheir5 own storese or in this case it could be editoral too that don't want it to happen. in a day an age where it's import especially in case like these, people want to have it back to that crap mentality. intereesting.

yet it cause's bad thing's happen or continue and they should damn well know better when it come to bite them in the butt very often.

pretty much like how the stupid war wityh the inhumancould have been avoid but beast chose to not speak queen madusa and went to a grave that didn't even have cyclops body in it . man there 's list. but it's cause of mistakes like that, and not learning from them.

Last edited:
I really dont like how PR#5 and JG ended. As suspected its going to be very jarring seeing Jean jump right into action with X-men Red with no sort of epilogue to her return story. I wanted to see her reunite with everyone. I wanted to see her react to what the new landscape is in the world. I wanted to see her have that conversation with Teen Jean. As it stands, all of this happened off panel and I hate Marvel for cheating us of these moments after making us wait 14 long years

On a side note, why the hell hasnt Teen Jean told ANYONE that Wolverine is alive?
I think this is fair. Marvel doesn't seem to want to focus on Jean reconnecting with her friends and family, possibly because the writers and editors are intimidated by the task of sorting through her baggage in an accessible way. "Phoenix Resurrection: The Return of Jean Grey" is very literal title. The entire mini was about the mechanics of bringing Jean back, but not about the aftermath or consequences. Following PR is a project for another book, but it doesn't exist. I suspect Marvel is taking Jean's reconnection slow, keeping her off to the side of Gold and Blue with her own team until the next shakeup/event happens.

I think cancelling Jean Grey at 11 is a missed opportunity. It should have transitioned into a solo for adult Jean, focusing on reconnecting her with the X-men. It could have kept the guest star of the week format, with a new character for Jean to interact with each issue. Storm one week, Cable another, Emma after that, Iceman, etc. Wrap the arc up with Jean and her guest stars teaming together to take down a non-phoenix legacy threat like Sinister, the Shi'ar, or Cassandra Nova.

Personally, I think Phoenix Resurrection #5 is an incredible issue that stood true to the Phoenix throughout the years. The popular "hook" for the Dark Phoenix Saga was that Jean "could have lived as a god but chose to die as a human." PR returns to that dynamic, but with better results for Jean. I knew as soon as I read it that severing the connection between Jean and the Phoenix would be controversial. I admit that it is a shame to lose that imagery and the hopefulness of rebirth.

A lot of people had an idea in their head about how Jean would come back and how she would be written. Now that she isn't an ideal and is a human character, I feel like some fans are going to be disillusioned. She's no longer the larger than life idealistic godly hero from beyond the grave that she was for the last ten years, but I'm happier now that she's alive and human (which is something that didn't seem likely with the Phoenix around).

Fans usually point to Morrison's Jean as one of the best versions of the character (myself and the Phoenix force included lol). Morrison wrote a great version of the Jean that had the phoenix, who was confident and never went "dark." I think fans wanted that character back, but Morrison was the one who killed her off in the first place, with the canonical reason being that it was part of the Phoenix's plan. If Morrison' proved anything, it's that Jean with the Phoenix will always be tenuous, unpredictable, and barely tethered to earth/life (but also amazing).

I had my own ideas for how I wanted Jean to come back in the past, usually in a huge event like Messiah Complex or Avengers vs X-men. I'm glad that didn't happen, because I doubt those writers would have room to explore Jean/Phoenix in a meaningful way. Compare the Phoenix in PR to the Phoenix with Hope in AvX. The conversation Rosenberg wrote in #5 carried the whole series. I actually felt really bad for the Phoenix force because it just has no idea how to be human. It clearly cares about Jean and has the best intentions for her; it doesn't really understand that most humans don't want to die, deal with the WHR, see their loved ones resurrected in illusions, and be manipulated. Losing the Jean/Phoenix potential does kind of suck, but it's that loss that made the book special. I'm sure it sucks for Jean too in some ways.

I'm really excited for Red. I know it's not a traditional team-Jean-squad but i think it's a small miracle that we get to see Jean without Logan around. I love Cyclops and Jean, but it's definitely better for Jean to be away from that shadow. I always wanted Jean to inherit the school, but even in Morrison's run she was away half the time running X-Corps, who were also a bunch of random mutants (just like her team during the Revolution era actually). Red is just the beginning too! Anything can happen in the future (like Uncanny?).

Last edited:
I think this is fair. Marvel doesn't seem to want to focus on Jean reconnecting with her friends and family, possibly because the writers and editors are intimidated by the task of sorting through her baggage in an accessible way. "Phoenix Resurrection: The Return of Jean Grey" is very literal title. The entire mini was about the mechanics of bringing Jean back, but not about the aftermath or consequences. Following PR is a project for another book, but it doesn't exist. I suspect Marvel is taking Jean's reconnection slow, keeping her off to the side of Gold and Blue with her own team until the next shakeup/event happens.

thats why it should have been given an extra issue. An epilogue of sorts. Heck Jean Grey should have ended at #12 bc I think that convo with the two Jean is very important and shouldnt have been left unwritten. My only hope is a tweet from Taylor which said there is more to be announced in May in regards to Jean. I think adult may get a solo or mini

X-men Red #1 is the single best debut issue of an X book in a LONG time. It was the perfect book to reintroduce Jean back into the MU and Taylor did her justice. The cliffhanger villian reveal may have been predictable but Im here for it

I picked it up today but haven't read it yet. :)

I picked it up today but haven't read it yet. :)

It was beautiful

2vxr9zr.jpg

^ That is a stunning image (and I love your new avatar).

X-men Red is the fifth team X-book and the third one to use a colour in its name, but it feels fresh in a way that any true X-men flagship comic should be. Jean Grey is a global leader with radical ideals that propose actual changes in the world. This comic felt like it picked up right where Morrison ended with the character and I couldn't give a bigger compliment than that. I've been singing Taylor's praises for a while and I'm happy to see that he was exactly the right person for Red.

This issue had as much heart as it had fresh ideas.

Jean saving the mutant baby and reassuring that parent was touching, as well as Nightcrawler's tears when seeing Jean's vision for the world (I'm definitely here to see Jean and Nightcrawler's friendship fleshed out). This issue was a great commentary on the divided state of the world (but there was optimism and hope) and it was political like good X-men stories are.

I'm really interested in Jean's ideas. Nations and States are not the same thing so I think it makes sense for Jean to propose that the UN recognize mutants as a nation. Cyclops made Utopia into a state and kept mutants on an island. I like the Utopia stories and still find Cyclops interesting, but I loved that Jean called out the obvious problems while paving a new path. Jean's plan might involve each mutant having some kind of dual citizenship, belonging to their state and the mutant nation. This would afford mutants the rights and safeties that go along with membership in the mutant nation (like not being executed or detained for being a mutant). This might lead to building mutant embassies across other countries (or X-Corp offices). I look forward to learning more about Jean's new vision and I hope we can see it one day. This is the most interesting the X-men have been in years.

Other things I liked:
The art was great (I especially love Asrar's Nightcrawler). I hope Asrar can do art duties for several issues in a row since this title is monthly.
Namor was really sexy. But beyond that, his inclusion on the roster actually makes a lot of sense. Smart writing!
I've been dying to see Cassandra Nova for so long now. This book is firing on all cylinders.

12/10, A++, 105%

Last edited:
Red is off to a great start. I've never really been a big fan of Jean, but this series is starting to turn me into one. Also, it's great to see non-angsty Nightcrawler again.

Im in it for Gambit down the road. :)

Gambit and Jean havent interacted in 18 years! Not since Claremont's run

X-men Red #1 is the single best debut issue of an X book in a LONG time. It was the perfect book to reintroduce Jean back into the MU and Taylor did her justice. The cliffhanger villian reveal may have been predictable but Im here for it

Any speculations on what Jean was planning to do before Cassie Xavier revealed herself?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"