X-Men - Part 8

Oh yeah, I have a pull, that they put similar books in with what I have specifically told them to pull.

That helps a lot, lol. :) At least you know you won't miss out.

So I decided to get caught up on the one X-Men book that I don't read... Old Man Logan. I read maybe the first 7 or 8 issues but gave up on it. I went back and reread it from the first issue through the newest issue and holy crap is this a great book! How can Lemire be this good of a writer and whiff so hard on Extraordinary? And surprisingly, the quality's kept up upon his departure. And I'm shocked that I haven't heard about the return of a pretty major character just a few issues ago.

So I decided to get caught up on the one X-Men book that I don't read... Old Man Logan. I read maybe the first 7 or 8 issues but gave up on it. I went back and reread it from the first issue through the newest issue and holy crap is this a great book! How can Lemire be this good of a writer and whiff so hard on Extraordinary? And surprisingly, the quality's kept up upon his departure. And I'm shocked that I haven't heard about the return of a pretty major character just a few issues ago.

Some writers are better at solo titles vs team. Lemire to his credit though was under heavy pressure/influence by editorial. That entire run was editorial driven to build up the conflict with the Inhumans.

Some writers are better at solo titles vs team. Lemire to his credit though was under heavy pressure/influence by editorial. That entire run was editorial driven to build up the conflict with the Inhumans.

Yeah, I can see that, which is a shame. But I still feel that even with strong editorial interference, he should have been able to make it readable. I was pretty excited when that book was announced and horribly disappointed with the way it turned out. And then Inhumans vs. X-Men ended up being so blah that it just wasn't at all worth it. The Gold/Blue/Astonishing era has been such an improvement.

And the solo character thing makes sense being that he was also amazing on Green Arrow.

Finally caught up. Red was amazing. Rogue and Gambit and Blue were also fun.

Finally caught up. Red was amazing. Rogue and Gambit and Blue were also fun.

I just wish Rogue was nicer to Gambit, sometimes it's like she has no good memories of their relationship at all. :(

I'm pretty sad that Generation X is over now. The last issue was really great and I don't want these characters to end up in limbo. The best Resurrexion books are cancelled while Gold keeps trucking on.

Confession time. I love the venomized X-men. The concept is so stupid, but I am having fun with it. Especially loving how the symbiote works with Cyclops.

Confession... I agree. :)

I kinda hope one of them keep the symbiote to further differentiate them from the their 616 counterpart. Cyclops or Beast could be cool.

Confession... I agree. :)

I kinda hope one of them keep the symbiote to further differentiate them from the their 616 counterpart. Cyclops or Beast could be cool.

Beast is already different from his older self. He is the most different out of all of them. Adult Cyclops is dead so he's unique by virtue of being the only one in existence

So, Rosenberg is writing another mini bringing back a X-man from the dead.

[blackout]Multiple Man[/blackout]

Not sure if I will pick it up. May depend on how much I like the New Mutants mini.

Beast is already different from his older self. He is the most different out of all of them. Adult Cyclops is dead so he's unique by virtue of being the only one in existence

Yeah, Beast is definitely the most unique right now... but dagnabbit does he not look awesome with a symbiote! And I like the antagonistic brothers angle if both he and Iceman kept theirs.

So, Rosenberg is writing another mini bringing back a X-man from the dead.

[blackout]Multiple Man[/blackout]

Not sure if I will pick it up. May depend on how much I like the New Mutants mini.

Honestly, if they were going to go this route (and I'm not against it as there are far too many good X-Characters dead right now), I'd rather there have been some sort of mass resurrection during Jean's mini. That goes for Wolverine as well instead of having him take part in some large Marvel event. I'd say Xavier too, but Astonishing is really good, so I can't bring myself to suggest altering it. :)

Jean's return was rushed so Im sure they didnt have any forsight into doing something like that

Me finding out that Madrox is getting a new series:

the-dude-dance.gif

I'm bummed that apparently they won't be including Layla Miller, which seems like an odd thing to do. Hopefully there's a good explanation for her absence... Also, this doesn't sound like it's meant as a Mini-Series, though with Marvel these days, true ongoings are few and far between...

I do like the idea of just a rotating collection of mini series with the X-books.

I do like the idea of just a rotating collection of mini series with the X-books.
On the one hand, Marvel can write stories about a bunch of characters without the narrative of them being cancelled.

On the other other, a mini puts a cap on a book's potential.

On the other other, a mini puts a cap on a book's potential.

This. I think part of the magic of Claremont's original run and later Lobdell's 90s run (for us 90s fans) was the ongoing narrative and character/world building. When you have an ongoing set of essentially maxi series' like we have now you really are limited on what can build. It also, in my opinion, kills the back issue market. Back when I got into collecting X-Men, I picked up Uncanny X-Men 300 and loved it. It was then easy to go back and buy back issues and get caught up on the history of the X-Men. But an ongoing influx of minis and maxis have really made that difficult without tons of research to figure out what titles came out when, which volume certain issues belong to, etc.

Me finding out that Madrox is getting a new series:

the-dude-dance.gif

I'm bummed that apparently they won't be including Layla Miller, which seems like an odd thing to do. Hopefully there's a good explanation for her absence... Also, this doesn't sound like it's meant as a Mini-Series, though with Marvel these days, true ongoings are few and far between...
Personally, I don't mind her being absent. This is a new, post-Peter David Madrox, so it seems okay to leave the David-era standards by the wayside and try something new. Besides, the only way I'd want them to include Layla is if she were de-aged back to childhood. Adult Layla was nothing but annoying to me.

I always found the idea of them together to be creepy. I dont care that she was rapidly aged in a plot device. Her coming on as a 10 year old telling this grown man they were going to get married never sit right with me

I just wish Rogue was nicer to Gambit, sometimes it's like she has no good memories of their relationship at all. :(

I agree but we have seen that dynamic before. I would've liked to see it the other way around this time. A Rogue who's hoping to get back together and a Gambit who's aloof and standoffish. Other than that it's an ok series.

I may be the only one but I actually enjoyed Gambit's "fling"with Storm in Gold. I think those two would be great together. The responsible natural leader with a thieving background and the proffesional fun loving thief who's just looking for the right cause.

Madrox met Layla as a child and fell in love.

Gambit met Storm as a child and...

:shr:

I always forget Gambit's supposed to be that much older than Storm. He still behaves like a dumb kid most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"