X-Men: The Last Stand (a revised screenplay)

While I liked X3 a lot, my biggest problem was that it didn't feel like the end of a trilogy. The "conclusion" felt tacked on, to me. Return of the Jedi, Return of the King--they were effective ends to trilogies, because they referenced and resolved things that came before, whereas X3, for the most part, simply added a bunch of new stuff and dropped most of the balls it was juggling.

now I understand, thank you for the explanation.......you can go on...

Boba_Fett_123 said:
While I liked X3 a lot, my biggest problem was that it didn't feel like the end of a trilogy. The "conclusion" felt tacked on, to me. Return of the Jedi, Return of the King--they were effective ends to trilogies, because they referenced and resolved things that came before, whereas X3, for the most part, simply added a bunch of new stuff and dropped most of the balls it was juggling.

that or certain things that were left open to answer were made irrelevant. One of the bigger questions was why did Jean choose to leave the plane and not let anyone save her? That could have been a fun plotpoint to express throughout the whole film. Have different chars be asked the same question and give different answers based on their feelings. But they sort-of made it pointless. Jean is the evil phoenix monster now. you no longer care why she chose to die. You just want to hunt her down and kill her so she can't blow up the world.

you can also go a little further with the phoenix explanation, give a more better definition of what is the phoenix, let just said a little more detailed than in the movie..........

The story is great so far Boba Fett 123..........I love everything about it...Hopefully Colossus and Kitty will face Juggernaut together at the end....I like Gambit in the story but it seems alittle forced

MoPlaYa43 said:
The story is great so far Boba Fett 123..........I love everything about it...Hopefully Colossus and Kitty will face Juggernaut together at the end....I like Gambit in the story but it seems alittle forced

After writing this, I can see why the writers didn't include Gambit, but he is going to have a payoff later, so hopefully, it won't seem as bad at the end.

ntcrawler said:
that or certain things that were left open to answer were made irrelevant. One of the bigger questions was why did Jean choose to leave the plane and not let anyone save her? That could have been a fun plotpoint to express throughout the whole film. Have different chars be asked the same question and give different answers based on their feelings. But they sort-of made it pointless. Jean is the evil phoenix monster now. you no longer care why she chose to die. You just want to hunt her down and kill her so she can't blow up the world.

Jean chose to make a sacrifice, knowing her powers were the only ones that could save the day, much as in the comic.

As in why she left the jet, there are two theories. Firstly, her powers were electromagnetic and affected electronic equipment (as in the museum scene in X2 and a deleted scene in X2 in which she makes the jet controls go haywire)... so she left the jet. This allowed her to create telekinetic energy fields - one in front to stop the water, then one behind to raise the jet. Creating those energy fields inside the jet would have sent the jet controls crazy, and also one energy field would have overlapped the other and partially cancelled it out (the concept of 'phase cancellation' in which two frequencies cancel each other). Going outside that jet also allowed her to raise her arms in opposite directions, like a Phoenix's wings...

The other theory is mine, based on the idea that telekinesis cannot itself be an energy (there is no such thing as 'telekinetic energy'), but a way of manipulating the kinetic energy of other things. Jean's mind manipulated the kinetic energy of that water to make it flow differently - to do so would involve removing energy from that water. The energy she sucked out of the water was then used to repower and raise the jet, which she did indeed do after diverting the water. This theory has more grounds in realworld physics. Either theory works for the movie.

She knew she was the only one who could do all those things at once, so she chose to make a sacrifice, exhausting all the power at the disposal of her conscious mind. Then, as she gives up, her mind collapsing, shutting down, as the water crashes down... that is the point at which the subconscious Phoenix (as explained in X3) takes full control and saves her...

X-Maniac said:
The other theory is mine, based on the idea that telekinesis cannot itself be an energy (there is no such thing as 'telekinetic energy'), but a way of manipulating the kinetic energy of other things. Jean's mind manipulated the kinetic energy of that water to make it flow differently - to do so would involve removing energy from that water. The energy she sucked out of the water was then used to repower and raise the jet, which she did indeed do after diverting the water. This theory has more grounds in realworld physics. Either theory works for the movie.
Interesting theory. :D

X-Maniac said:
Jean chose to make a sacrifice, knowing her powers were the only ones that could save the day, much as in the comic.

As in why she left the jet, there are two theories.

Your theories are interesting and can make sense as a possible interpretation. But you're also thinking too... logically. They are some of the reassons, yes as there are many reasons why Jean did what she did. But you also fail to consider things from the perspective of a woman in Jean's situation.

On the practical side of things, I also have what I feel to be a simple and straightforward explanation for Jean's actions. When Rogue brought the X-Jet down, it landed on a pile of snow, mud, and what scientists call "gooey muck", some of which could have been injested by the engine intakes. At any rate, the engines were shutdown either intentionally or automatically and needed to be restarted.
For the restart, they would beed to use the plane's auxilliary power unit (APU), a small, secondary engine usually towards the back. A miniature turbine which provides aircraft on the ground with electricity, hydraulic pressure, and pressurized air when the main engines are off, which can be used to cool or heat the cabine, operate its various systems, and to start the engines. As a result of Rogue's crash landing, the APU was damaged and stalled, causing the plane to lose power as we see in the movie. The only thing they would have left is the batteries, which are really only good for powering certain instruments or for starting the APU.
Once the water was held back, Jean used her TK to spin up the APU manually to operating speed. Her version of essentially cranking the thing by hand. Once it was spun up, electrical power, hydraulics, and bleed air were restored which she then used to start up the engines normally. The only thing unutual was this was happening while the X-jet was already levitated in the air and out of danger from the impending waters. Spinning it by hand was certain trivial to Jean's abilities at this point, and her knowledge of the aircraft's systems would allow her to go through a quick startup procedure, operating the controls remotely with her mind, as we saw in X2.
She felt that there was no possible way for anyone to rescue her without interferring with what she was doing and placing themselves in peril, and so didn't want anyone to risk their lives for her and therefore held them back (she wasn't much of a strategist. That was Scott's talent. Jean's way of thinking was usually straightforward and involved focusing on the current task at hand, not the overall picture or taking other sides into consideration, again why Scott was a better leader).
Once the plane and passengers were safe, she knew that her mission and purpose was complete and resigned herself to what she considered was her unavoidable fate.

This is ****ing awesome!!!! I cannot wait for the rest!!!!!!!!!!

INT. MANSION LIVING ROOM

Ororo, Henry, and Emma watch the television. Magneto is speaking to the nation.

MAGNETO
The attack in Manhattan today was the first of many. As long as this “cure”, this so called Hope, exists, cities will not be safe, streets will not be safe, in short, you will not be safe.

Emma wrinkles her nose.

MAGNETO (cont’d)
My fellow mutants, I will bring you hope! And I ask only one thing of those who would oppose: don’t get in my way. Enough mutant blood has been spilt already.

The transmission ends abruptly.

HENRY
Things are getting worse.

EMMA
What are we going to do?

Ororo sighs.

ORORO
We have to wait. I only hope Logan finds Scott and Jean in time.

INT. OVAL OFFICE

Trask sits across from the President.

TRASK
Well, then you know what needs to be done.

The president sighs.

PRESIDENT
Bolivar, you’re talking about declaring war on American soil.

TRASK
We have to protect our citizens, sir.

The President puts his face in his hands, the stress of the situation weighing visibly on him.

TRASK (cont’d)
All we need is your word.

PRESIDENT
I want troops armed with cure weapons and stationed at Alcatraz, within the hour…And I want Magneto found, at any cost. If he wants a war, we’ll give him one.

TRASK
Done.

Trask leaves, as the president contemplates his decision.

EXT. CLINIC – DAY

Rogue sits on a bench with Bobby.

BOBBY
I don’t get it. Why would you…This isn’t what I wanted, Rogue.

ROGUE
No. It’s what I wanted.

She looks up at him.

ROGUE
I can’t live like this, Bobby, not anymore. Go back to the school. They need you.

BOBBY
And what about you?

Rogue smiles faintly.

ROGUE
I’ll find my way.

INT. WORTHINGTON’S OFFICE

Worthington hangs up the phone. Kavita enters.

KAVITA
It’s begun?

Worthington sighs and wrings his hands.

WORTHINGTON
My son’s gone. This cure has gotten so far out of hand…everything’s happening so quickly.

He looks up at Kavita.

WORTHINGTON
I think I’ve made a terrible mistake, Kavita.

KAVITA
This cure is a good thing, Warren. There are mutants who need it.

WORTHINGTON
It was never supposed to be more than a voluntary procedure…now there are guns, missiles!

Kavita sits down.

KAVITA
Science will always be used as a tool of war, no matter how hard we try to avoid it.

Worthington stands up and looks out the window.

WORTHINGTON
I should have seen this coming.

KAVITA
You can’t blame yourself.

Worthington slumps, just a little.

WORTHINGTON
I just want my son back.

EXT. FOREST CLEARING – EVENING

Scott skids to a halt amid the trees and hops off the bike. He pulls a cloak over himself and moves toward a large crowd. Behind him, Logan jumps from a tree and lands silently behind him. Scott turns.

SCOTT
You’re following me?

LOGAN
You know what you’re gettin’ yourself into?

SCOTT
I don’t need help from you.

LOGAN
You think you’re the only person that cares about Jean? Like it or not, I love her too!

Scott looks away.

LOGAN
We can work together, Scott.

SCOTT
Fine.

He and Logan move into the crowd. Magneto stands atop a log, serving as a makeshift stage, addressing the crowd. Pyro, Callisto, Arclight, Gambit, and Phoenix are with him, Phoenix alone off to the side.

MAGNETO
They wish to cure us! But I say to you, we are the cure!

The mutants cheer.

MAGNETO
We are the cure for that imperfect condition called homo Sapiens! They have their weapons…

He looks over to Jean.

MAGNETO (cont’d)
…and we have ours.

Scott starts, but Logan stops him.

MAGNETO
We will strike with a vengeance and a fury that this world has never witnessed!

More cheers.

MAGNETO (cont’d)
And if any mutants stand in our way, we shall turn this cure against them!

Magneto becomes fiercer.

MAGNETO
We will destroy this cure at its source! NOTHING CAN STOP US NOW!!!

The crowd goes wild.

Phoenix scans the crowd and sees Logan and Scott. She turns and leaves. Scott does the same, and Logan follows him.

EXT. FOREST – EVENING

Logan follows Scott.

LOGAN
Scott!

Scott ignores him and continues to Jean. Suddenly, something impales Logan from behind. He grunts and turns to see Spike. Logan roars and charges at him, pulling out the spike as he does so. Spike throws more projectiles, but Logan merely slashes them away. He launches himself on top of Spike and stabs him just as Spike does likewise. More Brotherhood mutants appear, but Logan simply enters a berserker rage and kills them all.

EXT. CLEARING – DAY

Scott arrives in the clearing with Jean.

SCOTT
Jean?

Before she can respond, Scott is launched into a tree. Magneto appears, and magnetically continues to pin Scott against the tree.

MAGNETO
Mr. Summers. It’s a surprise to see you alive.

SCOTT
I’m not here for a fight. I came for Jean—I’m not leaving without her.

MAGNETO
Noble, as ever. But, you presume that Jean is not here of her own free will? I assure you, she is here because she wants to be.

SCOTT
You don’t know what you’re dealing with.

MAGNETO
On the contrary, I believe I know a great deal more than you. You have yet to learn of Charles’ death, I take it?

Scott says nothing.

MAGNETO
It’s high time you join him, Mr. Summers. You will not stand in my way this time.

Magneto extends his hand, and all of the metal components of Scott’s outfit, zippers, buttons, and so forth, come shooting out. They form small, sharp daggers, which Magneto then circles around Scott’s ears.

MAGNETO
How do you think these would feel in your brain?

JEAN
No!

She shoves with her hand, and Scott is flung up, off the tree, and into the woods. Magneto allows the metal to fall to the ground and turns to Jean. He smirks. Jean reconstructs the metal and summons it to her hand. Magneto tries to take it back, but it won’t respond to his power.

JEAN
Your power is nothing compared to mine, Erik.

She shows him a small orb made of pure gold, and lets him see it disintegrate.

JEAN (cont’d)
You fear me.

Magneto glares at her.

JEAN
As well you should.

Jean turns and stalks away, leaving Magneto alone.

EXT. FOREST - EVENING

Scott falls to the ground. He grunts, and doesn’t move. Logan comes upon him.

LOGAN
Scott!

He bends down. Scott, with great difficulty, gets to his knees.

SCOTT
He’s got her…brainwashed or…

He collapses again.

LOGAN
She’s still in there. I know she is.

SCOTT
I know. I…I can feel her inside me, Logan.

Logan looks down at him. Scott gets up again.

SCOTT
We have…we have to save her.

He gets to his feet, seemingly renewed in spirit.

SCOTT
We have to beat Magneto to Alcatraz.

LOGAN
Then we gotta hurry back.

boba, there's another problem her, how magneto make scott float away?? remember, Magneto controls metal, so it was logical that he make logan go away because logan's body contain metal, but scott doesn't. I suggest you to change it a little, while keeping Scott in the scene.....making a discusion between scott and magneto, while mag swep away logan.....think of something...

Love some new scenes, specially those about the younger x-men. Really nice idea do this. Continue!

Yeah, I'm cheating. Consider it a temporary ending to the scene.

maybe, because his visor is like glasses, there are not attached to his body, also if magneto make him float by lifting his visor, Scott will fell at some point to the floor, since his visor are like glasses, not a body part like a hand or leg. rewrite it without changing the course of the scene.....

Eh, you could assume that Magneto controlled all the buttons, zippers, visor/shades, etc... and that may work.

I will give you an idea.......in the movie Logan goes to the forest and fight first with spike and another one and then goes to the group to hear mag's speech, while in you version is backwards, starts with logan on the speech and then fight. keep it like the movie version, only that Logan....well let me show you by using part of your scene:

still, Scott is heavier than that..... let me explain:

EXT. FOREST CLEARING – DAY

Scott skids to a halt amid the trees and hops off the bike. He pulls a cloak over himself and moves toward a large crowd. Behind him, Logan jumps from a tree and lands silently behind him. Scott turns.

SCOTT
You’re following me?

LOGAN
You know what you’re gettin’ yourself into?

SCOTT
I don’t need help from you.

LOGAN
You think you’re the only person that cares about Jean? Like it or not, I love her too!

Scott looks away.

LOGAN
We can work together, Scott.

SCOTT
Fine.

After this part put the fight scene, make something cool, creative, an small idea of what's Scott made of, giving a good hand to Logan....

go to the speech then the part they find Jean, while Scott tries to talk to Jean, Mags takes Logan away, like in the movie, only after this Scott and Mag's start a discussion, mirroring the house scene, and Jean gets desperated and....... well, think something, maybe she tosses Scott away for his sake, i don't know, just try to finish it like in the scene's end, only that is Logan who is recovering form the falling while scott help him, whithout taking Scott importance....

The Original Bamfer said:
Eh, you could assume that Magneto controlled all the buttons, zippers, visor/shades, etc... and that may work.

I'm sure it's happened in the comics more than once...if I can come up with something, then I will, but it doesn't bother me too much at the moment.

I'm digging the script thus far, Boba. Just two things I have to opine;

I really wish you'd expanded the Scott/Jean Alkali Lake scene. That scene falls flat in the movie, and it is here basically unchanged. That would've been a great opportunity for character development; to get better insight in their relationship, for Scott to ask why Jean sacrificed herself in X2, any number of things.

And I hope Emma and Psylocke get to do something at some point, right now they're just there as fan service.

But it's aces so far, really! Keep it up.

No, Magneto can't make Scott float up like that. It's pretty clear all you did was take out Logan/Wolverine and put in Scott instead.

Some of this feels a little forced to me. Like Cyclops being alive now. First of all why does Jean think he's dead when he's clearly not?

Second, you are missing out on all the Jean/Scott interaction. It still feels like Logan/Jean is the central relationship when it should be shifted more to Jean/Scott especially if you are incorporating their psychic bond which she doesn't have with Logan. I think Scott being in a coma doesn't work because I think Scott should be stepping it up as the leader and interacting with people like Emma, Henry, dealing with Jean.

So here's the deal. Here's a good way to slightly reference the comics and try to put it in the script. Maybe, just maybe Emma has some sort of romantic past with Emma. And maybe Emma is having a tender moment or hug with Scott trying to comfort him while Jean is in her state, and Jean senses that and gets pissed and that's what incites her to leave the mansion.

Also, danke means thank you in German, not Russian.

Scott and Jean still have plenty coming, so it was okay, in my evaluation of the script, to leave that scene for the shock value. You don't ask the deep questions when your wife comes back from the dead; you make out.

Psylocke will most likely not be expanded much more from her role in the film. Emma may get something to do later on, as will Gambit. But fan service isn't always a bad thing, y'know.

EDIT: Vile: Then I'll rewrite that scene definitely. As for Scott and Jean, like I said, they have plenty more coming, and while it feels like a copout, there's nothing more I can say than "wait and see". There's a reason that Jean thought Scott was dead, which is coming. I don't see how Logan/Jean still feels like the central relationship, as I think I've shifted the focus enough that it's now a triangle. I'd even go so far as to say that it's biased toward Scott/Jean, but then, I'm hardly objective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"