X3 Forum Debate #3: "Should Cyclops and/or Jean Return?"

So true, bring them back and give them the good stroy and writing they deserve, its like they where just thrown to the side and not cared about.

But HOW would they come back? What could, should, would happen? Does everyone forgive Jean for blasting Xavier and life gets back to normal at the mansion? What power levels would she have, what about the other pesonality and the powers she cannot control?There has to be logic, not just fanboy demands.

But HOW would they come back? What could, should, would happen? Does everyone forgive Jean for blasting Xavier and life gets back to normal at the mansion? What power levels would she have, what about the other pesonality and the powers she cannot control?There has to be logic, not just fanboy demands.
First of all, how can Jean be back if this time she was buried in a coffin? Ugh, way too much. She can't just pull a a Beatrix Kiddo. On X2, it is explained that she never really died, this is why she came back. Please, no ressurection from Jean.
I can see an explanation for Cyke, but not a reasonable one for Jean.
"because she's Phoenix, and Phoenix is immortal" doesn't work. As we saw, Phoenix is just a second personality. She can't hold her breath longer than 5 minutes.

I'd quite like cyclops back and not jean.

Cyclop's death was only implied, there is nothing actually on the screen that suggests that cyclops is indeed dead.

Him being alive and lost somewhere as a blind person is totally applicable.

I would also like to see a proper rendition of the character, sometimes being the boyscout doesn't mean you are the easy pushover, cyke has shown on plenty of occasions he's a big game player and is just as vital, if not more vital than most other members of a team.

also a proper, wolverine/cyclops fight is well over due, can't believe they made it through 3 movies without a physical confrontation of any sort.

:o

Cyclops can easily be brought back. Jean, sadly, is finished. But I think Cyclops could return as a real bad-ass. Maybe he falls for Emma Frost, even though she's the White Queen, and still evil. Maybe their love is what makes her turn on the Hellfire Club and join the team. Maybe Scott and Storm disagree a lot. I see him being much more bossy and commanding, now that Jean and Xavier (yes I think they still think he's dead til the end of X4) are gone.

And I want James Marsden to really show people what he can do. If you've seen his other films, you know he can pull this off. Just give Scott a real character. His moments in TLS were the most emotional and best acted!

Hey,

I've started a Cyclops Tribute page on Facebook groups and could use all of your support! It's called "Cyclops (Scott Summers) Tribute Page"

Thanks

-Richard

I call this perhaps the biggest fluke of the film,besides Phoenix being used wrong.Cyclops should have never died in the first place.

I think it's more feasible if anything to bring back Scott but not Jean. I agree that bringing either character back undermines credibility...but I think it would be easier to work something out plot-wise with Scott coming back. I don't think something with Emma Frost in X4 would work, I don't see the majority of the audience understanding her character or any hints of their relationship from the comics. A big mistake X3 made was introducing too many new characters and underdeveloping them. That said, if Scott came back, his storyline would have to be focused on his interaction with the already-established characters and his new responsibility at the school.

I don't know. Definitely thought he had potential in the beginning of the movie trilogy, but he became largely overshadowed as the supposed team leader. Maybe it's best to leave him dead and show the other characters stepping it up in his, jean's, and the professor's absence.

He did start off with potential. I think the writers and the studio really focused too much on Wolverine in the series...

That said, in Wolverine's absence (or cameo only) Scott could really be allowed to shine. He could be a completely changed man. If Jean's death left him reckless, irresponsible, and unkempt. Then his near-death experience could make him stronger, more determined, and a bit of a hardened badass. I'd love to see him throw down with a rebellious student (Gambit) and show him who's boss...

I also agree about characters. Introducing one or two new characters per movie is more than enough... And that includes the villain.

The way Cyclops was portrayed was not Marsden's fault but the writers and studios. Lines in X1 like " a boy like me saved you" and telling Storm to shoot lightning into the statue of liberty only to be dissed and shown as ignorant by Magneto did not help establish him as an able or competent leader.:trans:

IMO, Jean is gone, and unlike her comic counter-part, I don't think she should keep coming back to life. Where-as the comic book Phoenix was an alien entity that brought her back to life repeatedly, the movie-verse version is just a mutant with tons of power.

I would definitely like to see Cyclops return and lead the team alongside Storm. It would make for some interesting drama. Maybe say in X3, Scott suffered head trauma from Jean and lost his short term memory. He can't remember what happened. In Scott's mind, Jean never came back. The team decides to not tell him about Jean, and inform him that Xavier was killed while he was in a coma. Or is that too cruel? :p

Really, I think X3 messed up so much (in terms of the character fates) that I think a direct X4 would be difficult to do.

He did start off with potential. I think the writers and the studio really focused too much on Wolverine in the series...

That said, in Wolverine's absence (or cameo only) Scott could really be allowed to shine. He could be a completely changed man. If Jean's death left him reckless, irresponsible, and unkempt. Then his near-death experience could make him stronger, more determined, and a bit of a hardened badass. I'd love to see him throw down with a rebellious student (Gambit) and show him who's boss...

I also agree about characters. Introducing one or two new characters per movie is more than enough... And that includes the villain.

The way Cyclops was portrayed was not Marsden's fault but the writers and studios. Lines in X1 like " a boy like me saved you" and telling Storm to shoot lightning into the statue of liberty only to be dissed and shown as ignorant by Magneto did not help establish him as an able or competent leader.:trans:

Agreed. Marsden I felt did a really good job, with what he had to work with screen-time/plot-wise etc. I think they could have worked something out with the Wolverine plotline while still developing Scott's role as a leader. X1 didn't bother me so much with Wolverine in the spotlight because i understand where they were coming from, plot-wise. Most of the other characters were just being introduced. X2 had incredible potential for him to really step it up (as there was budding potential with others, i.e. Colossus), but yeah, X2 was X2.

X4 I think if they had both Scott and Logan there wouldn't be the same sort of dynamics without Jean. I think Scott would have more opportunity to shine, because his storyline would no longer involve Logan and a love triangle...well hopefully not anyways.

The problem in the movies is they made Scott little more than Jean's boyfriend. Hopefully, they'll bring him back as the leader and strategist he is supposed to be. And I still think James Marsden was born to play this role, the writers just need to give him something to play.

The problem in the movies is they made Scott little more than Jean's boyfriend. Hopefully, they'll bring him back as the leader and strategist he is supposed to be. And I still think James Marsden was born to play this role, the writers just need to give him something to play.

I agree to me James is Scott even when I read the comics now I think of James.

Hey,

I've started a Cyclops Tribute page on Facebook groups and could use all of your support! It's called "Cyclops (Scott Summers) Tribute Page"

Thanks

-Richard

I would love to see the page. How do you get to the site? Do you have a link?

Exactly (to comments about wanting to see Scott as more of a leader, etc.). I thought I saw more of the leader in X1, if anything, but obviously because in X2 he had limited screen time as it was. Would have been interesting if both Scott and Logan were at the mansion when it was invaded...to see if they could set aside their egos and just focus on working together to defend and protect the younger ones and the school.

Wolverine should leave in remorse of Jean's death since he has his own friggin spinoff. That would make room for Cyke's return and Emma along the way. As for Jean, yeah it would be different without her but she has already died...eh yeah bring her back too. But it would be hard to convince the audience of her live/death/live/death/live situation.

I think it would be difficult to bring Jean back, plus with the Dark Phoenix saga played out, there's really nothing left to look forward to with her character. She's been played out.

But Scott has gotten NO SPOTLIGHT, SO STORY OF HIS OWN. So he NEEDS to come back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"