Xavier & Jean: Agree or Disagree?

Howdy

A teenager who can think folks out of existance. That's just to much power for anyone even an adult to handle. Pro X had no choice but to block her. Then later he could have helped her control her powers.He was in a no win situation an he took the lessor of 2 evils IMO.

Mek

Mekleo33 said:
Howdy

A teenager who can think folks out of existance. That's just to much power for anyone even an adult to handle. Pro X had no choice but to block her. Then later he could have helped her control her powers.He was in a no win situation an he took the lessor of 2 evils IMO.

Mek

Can she really do that? That's insane... :eek:

Howdy

Have to ask half the Brotherhood she did it to or Pro X who she did it to. I think they would agree she can.

Mek

Mekleo33 said:
Howdy

Have to ask half the Brotherhood she did it to or Pro X who she did it to. I think they would agree she can.

Mek

I though you meant out of entire existence... like, erased from history. And I don't think she could have done that as a child... her powers to do this were only tapped into when she was channelling pure fury.

Howdy

Well you can think what ya like but just remember this is the toned down Pheonix. The other one commited Genocide an munched on universes. An unless Pro X knew for sure she couldn't then anyone trying to exert any kind of atthority over her well let's just say it's a scary thought.

Mek

Mekleo33 said:
Howdy

Well you can think what ya like but just remember this is the toned down Pheonix. The other one commited Genocide an munched on universes. An unless Pro X knew for sure she couldn't then anyone trying to exert any kind of atthority over her well let's just say it's a scary thought.

Mek

Yeah. You're right. The Prof. was right in choosing to do what he did.

We are over looking something very important from X-Men 1 that was integral to Jean's character. She mentioned several times that she did not have control over powers completely and that the Professor was teaching her to develope it. When Logan asks Jean if she had ever used Cerebro she replies that she hasn't because it requires a certain amount of control and for someone like her it could be "dangerous" as Scott says. They never specify if the danger was to her, or to others. In X2 we see that when Xavier did not have control of his telepathy and was being manipulated by Stryker's son Jason he was capable of killing every human and or mutant on the planet. Now take Jean whom Xavier knew was more powerful than him, imagine what she could have done if things in X-Men 1 would have gone much worse when she used cerebro. She could have killed herself or everyone on the planet.
Also the most important scene from X-Men is actually a deleted scene. Jean speaks with Xavier in Cerebro and asks him if she can use it to find magneto. Xavier tells her know but Jean insists and says she can feel her powers growing and branching out all the time, that she is ready to move forward. However Xavier reminds her that during the Senate meeting with Senator Kelly she lost control. Xavier was referencing another deleted scene in which Jean Grey becomes frustrated with Kelley and accidenlty rips documents from his hands with her telekinesis.
I think there is a tone of evidence to suggest that Jean was always teetering on the edge of stability and the only thing that kept her and others safe was Xavier. Sometimes the only choice isn't the morally right one.
I think the audience would have accepted what Xavier did if they had shown young Jean in X-3 out of control and dangerous. Instead we are left to infer that Xavier knew with out doubt Jean was a danger to herself and to others. Personally I think they should have gone the Ultimate X-Men route and had Jean and Xavier's first meeting in an Mental institution where Jean was being overcoming and drive mad by her own powers...
Just my two cents.

Senshi said:
We are over looking something very important from X-Men 1 that was integral to Jean's character. She mentioned several times that she did not have control over powers completely and that the Professor was teaching her to develope it. When Logan asks Jean if she had ever used Cerebro she replies that she hasn't because it requires a certain amount of control and for someone like her it could be "dangerous" as Scott says. They never specify if the danger was to her, or to others. In X2 we see that when Xavier did not have control of his telepathy and was being manipulated by Stryker's son Jason he was capable of killing every human and or mutant on the planet. Now take Jean whom Xavier knew was more powerful than him, imagine what she could have done if things in X-Men 1 would have gone much worse when she used cerebro. She could have killed herself or everyone on the planet.
Also the most important scene from X-Men is actually a deleted scene. Jean speaks with Xavier in Cerebro and asks him if she can use it to find magneto. Xavier tells her know but Jean insists and says she can feel her powers growing and branching out all the time, that she is ready to move forward. However Xavier reminds her that during the Senate meeting with Senator Kelly she lost control. Xavier was referencing another deleted scene in which Jean Grey becomes frustrated with Kelley and accidenlty rips documents from his hands with her telekinesis.
I think there is a tone of evidence to suggest that Jean was always teetering on the edge of stability and the only thing that kept her and others safe was Xavier. Sometimes the only choice isn't the morally right one.
I think the audience would have accepted what Xavier did if they had shown young Jean in X-3 out of control and dangerous. Instead we are left to infer that Xavier knew with out doubt Jean was a danger to herself and to others. Personally I think they should have gone the Ultimate X-Men route and had Jean and Xavier's first meeting in an Mental institution where Jean was being overcoming and drive mad by her own powers...
Just my two cents.

Two cents? Looks like something equivalent to $5.50 or so... :p

And reading through it... it makes a hell of a lot of sense. I agree with you on this. But anyone who has read the comics, will already know how powerful she can be without seeing it on the screen. As for the people who haven't, I think many would still understand his actions.

In that specific scene... where Jean says the Prof. is teaching her to develop it... that says it all. It shows how much he cares for Jean. He put the blocks in her head with the best intentions and followed his actions through by helping her to control that power, until the day it was released, so when her full potential came out, she'd be able to control it... not the other way around. I don't think he intended things to work out the way they did. He wanted to cage the beast inside her and help Jean (not the Phoenix) develop her power in the concious part of her mind, so that when her subconcious powers (the powers of the Phoenix) were released, Jean would be strong enough to control them. There's that, and also I don't think that he intended for his psychic blocks to last forever. He knew eventually that her true potential would be unleashed... that's why he continued his sessions with Jean... to give her control.

micky-fox said:
Two cents? Looks like something equivalent to $5.50 or so... :p

And reading through it... it makes a hell of a lot of sense. I agree with you on this. But anyone who has read the comics, will already know how powerful she can be without seeing it on the screen. As for the people who haven't, I think many would still understand his actions.

In that specific scene... where Jean says the Prof. is teaching her to develop it... that says it all. It shows how much he cares for Jean. He put the blocks in her head with the best intentions and followed his actions through by helping her to control that power, until the day it was released, so when her full potential came out, she'd be able to control it... not the other way around. I don't think he intended things to work out the way they did. He wanted to cage the beast inside her and help Jean (not the Phoenix) develop her power in the concious part of her mind, so that when her subconcious powers (the powers of the Phoenix) were released, Jean would be strong enough to control them. There's that, and also I don't think that he intended for his psychic blocks to last forever. He knew eventually that her true potential would be unleashed... that's why he continued his sessions with Jean... to give her control.

I agree I think that scene definately reinforces the fact that Xavier was still taking special time to teach a fully grown adult woman how to control her powers. He knew she was special and different from the others, that's why he made some difficult choices and spent the better part of 20 years teaching her to develope it. That alone should let everyone know Xavier knew what he was doing. In the deleted scene in cerebro I mentioned above Jean also says something very importan. Xavier says "Sometimes I wonder if I was right involving you in all of this" or something to that extent. Jean replies "I can't speak for the others but it wouldn't have been much of a life without you" or something liek that. To me this suggests Jean was well aware of the life in store for her if Xavier had not come to her aid. Maybe she didn't know exactly what he did to her but she knew he helped her and to me that is what is important.
Also I can't remember Jean or Xavier explicitly saying that Jean didn't know that Xavier had put the mental blocks in her mind. To me it sounded like Jean wasn't completely aware of the Phoenix personality not the mental blocks.I could be wrong. She would have gone from being able to lift an entire neighborhood of cars in the air to barely being able to levitate a person. Surely she would have noticed this and asked "WTF Xavier!"
Just my $5.50 again.

Senshi said:
I agree I think that scene definately reinforces the fact that Xavier was still taking special time to teach a fully grown adult woman how to control her powers. He knew she was special and different from the others, that's why he made some difficult choices and spent the better part of 20 years teaching her to develope it. That alone should let everyone know Xavier knew what he was doing. In the deleted scene in cerebro I mentioned above Jean also says something very importan. Xavier says "Sometimes I wonder if I was right involving you in all of this" or something to that extent. Jean replies "I can't speak for the others but it wouldn't have been much of a life without you" or something liek that. To me this suggests Jean was well aware of the life in store for her if Xavier had not come to her aid. Maybe she didn't know exactly what he did to her but she knew he helped her and to me that is what is important.
Also I can't remember Jean or Xavier explicitly saying that Jean didn't know that Xavier had put the mental blocks in her mind. To me it sounded like Jean wasn't completely aware of the Phoenix personality not the mental blocks.I could be wrong. She would have gone from being able to lift an entire neighborhood of cars in the air to barely being able to levitate a person. Surely she would have noticed this and asked "WTF Xavier!"
Just my $5.50 again.

Hmm... come to think of it, she would have wondered what the hell was going on with her in that case. But I think that perhaps (maybe) Xavier had erased the memories containing any trace of the extent of her powers before the psychic blocks were put in, thus making her believe that her powers were always at that level. This is a very confusing topic... hehe.

micky-fox said:
Hmm... come to think of it, she would have wondered what the hell was going on with her in that case. But I think that perhaps (maybe) Xavier had erased the memories containing any trace of the extent of her powers before the psychic blocks were put in, thus making her believe that her powers were always at that level. This is a very confusing topic... hehe.

I thought about that too. We have young Jean lifting all the cars in the neighborhood, but as an adult she "has to concentrate just to levitate a book across the room" ~Scott. So she doesn't remember what she did as a child? I think he did erase her memories that show just how powerful she really is.

Howdy

The car lifting isn't what matters in that scene. Magneto could lift the cars. It's the Water in Stan Lee's hand with the hose. The water going upwards is something Magneto couldn't do. She has complete control of Gravity. So much power it's scary.

Mek

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"