Yahya Abdul-Mateen II IS Black Manta

Actually, I edited New 52 part, as I made a mistake about Orm being fully royalty. He is not a son of Atlanna and Atlan, but Atlanna and Atlantean guard.

But yeah, they really couldn't make up their minds. :hehe:

I'm cool with New 52 approach, though I prefer Peter David's slightly more.

Yeah I prefer Orm as the older brother (I haven't been keeping up with Aquaman so I didn't know that changed), but in the end if the movie is good that won't matter to me.

Yeah I prefer Orm as the older brother (I haven't been keeping up with Aquaman so I didn't know that changed), but in the end if the movie is good that won't matter to me.

Not just Orm being older, but I like the entire origin more - Arthur (Orin) being an abandoned Atlantean child, then found and raised by a lighthouse keeper and finally returning to Atlantis and taking the throne. There is something quite mythological about it, akin to THE king Arthur's story and quests.

But, ultimately, I agree. Whatever approach works best for the story they want to tell.

I liked Saw. I don't want Aquaman to be a horror story but I wouldn't mind him making the sea a scary looking place.
I expect with the criticism that they'll go lighter and show the beauty of the sea. Hopefully, it will be a bit of both." Saw" gives me hope though. That was a crazy good movie, in my opinion. It felt like seeing something I e never seen before on film.
There's a lot to be optimistic about I think but I hope it's not TOO swashbuckling.

So how do you feel about the movie being Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Romancing The Stone in tone?

So how do you feel about the movie being Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Romancing The Stone in tone?

Raiders I thought was amazing but I don't personally like Romancing the Stone. It didn't seem like anyone was ever in real danger to me and some silliness with the love story and Danny Devito. I'm having trouble picturing that kind of tone.
It's funny I was watching Raiders last night. Wow, that movie was so original.

I probably wouldn't have thought of Raiders but I guess I'd like more of a mix of that tone with the danger Jaws brought. That's a tall order. But Im trying to think of scary underwater movies that aren't campy.

It's also not what the masses want either. I know going near anything close to horror would really upset people. That IS what I'd like to see though, selfishly. Adventure/ horror. Nothing approaching any pirates of the Carribean tone.

Well I'm with you on that.

images

It's also not what the masses want either. I know going near anything close to horror would really upset people. That IS what I'd like to see though, selfishly. Adventure/ horror. Nothing approaching any pirates of the Carribean tone.

I agree with you. Matter of fact, I must admit that mentioning "Romancing the Stone" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" did make me less excited for this film to extent. I really hope it's not going to go into POTC territory, as aside from the first one, I can't stand those films.

I know Aquaman's weapon isn't a trident but something very similar. Does it have a name and are Greek Gods also part of Aquaman's lore? I just thought of the whole Poseidon/ trident thing and was curious.

I know Aquaman's weapon isn't a trident but something very similar. Does it have a name and are Greek Gods also part of Aquaman's lore? I just thought of the whole Poseidon/ trident thing and was curious.

Well, technically it is a pentadent (if we go by Greek) or qiuindent (if we go by Latin), but they still call it trident in comics. On the other hand, it is questionable if two additional slashing points on the side can be considered the same as the three main prongs, since, while the weapon does have five prongs, only three are capable of straight-up piercing and two smaller ones are only there to make it a more versatile weapon by increasing its slashing ability.

Greek gods are indeed part of Aquman's mythos, tohugh, from what I know of it, they're not nearly as prominent figures as they are in Wonder Woman's mythos.

Last edited:
Not what I said. They didn't rush casting but they rushed the announcement to distract us with some positive news. Pretty suspect that we get two huge casting announcements immediately after the Affleck news.

Who cares?

Who cares?

Your unrelenting defense of DC is admirable. I wish I could ignore the problems. I've been a fan of dc my whole life, but I can still see the flaws in the DCEU

It's not a defense. It's literally a "so what?". Aquaman casting announcements because Ben Affleck stepped down as Batman director is so infinitesimally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, that getting "offended" or "worried" over it becomes the very definition of nitpicking.

Indeed. Who gives a damn if they really did time the release of this news to compensate for Batman solo one. Fact regarding to 'Aquaman" castings still stand and paying any mind to whether there was some hidden agenda behind the time of its release or not seems utterly pointless and irrelevant.

Your unrelenting defense of DC is admirable. I wish I could ignore the problems. I've been a fan of dc my whole life, but I can still see the flaws in the DCEU

I'm not ignoring problems. SS I thought was full of problems. I was really dissapointed in that one.
But I am genuinely bummed that so many DC fans are bummed at what they've gotten. That sucks.
I really wish they could do a separate DC movie universe for all the fans that haven't liked this one.
Instead I think they're gonna change things and virtually NOBODY will end up getting what they wanted.

But just the particular timing ,if it was planned that way, I just don't know why anyone cares about that.

So guys and gals, are there different takes on Black Manta? Is he just a regular human in some special suit? I like the look. I hope it can translate to film and look freaky and cool and not silly.

So guys and gals, are there different takes on Black Manta?

Yep. At one point in the comics they mutated him into a humanoid manta. Usually he's a guy in a suit, though.

I'm not ignoring problems. SS I thought was full of problems. I was really dissapointed in that one.
But I am genuinely bummed that so many DC fans are bummed at what they've gotten. That sucks.
I really wish they could do a separate DC movie universe for all the fans that haven't liked this one.
Instead I think they're gonna change things and virtually NOBODY will end up getting what they wanted.

Yeah man I seriously live and breathe DC, I always dreamed about a cinematic universe, never thought it'd actually happen. Now that it's here, I'm happy, but I have so many issues with these movies. It's not that hard to please the fans honestly ... the stuff is already there for them to draw from, they're trying to reinvent things that don't need reinventing, they just need to be directly translated from comics/animation to film...

Snyder wasn't the guy for this. I love BvS but come on, that movie should've been a million times better. The Batman/Superman animated movie was far superior.

The Timmverse in general should be seen as the blueprint for the DCEU, I think fans would be a lot happier then.

Yeah man I seriously live and breathe DC, I always dreamed about a cinematic universe, never thought it'd actually happen. Now that it's here, I'm happy, but I have so many issues with these movies. It's not that hard to please the fans honestly ... the stuff is already there for them to draw from, they're trying to reinvent things that don't need reinventing, they just need to be directly translated from comics/animation to film...

Snyder wasn't the guy for this. I love BvS but come on, that movie should've been a million times better. The Batman/Superman animated movie was far superior.

The Timmverse in general should be seen as the blueprint for the DCEU, I think fans would be a lot happier then.

I love Mos and BVS but I know many share your opinions. I really wonder if they tweak it now if it causes it to be a failure. I don't know if that works midway. I mean, I know it underwhelmed at the box office but still made enough to keep making them.
It's gonna be interesting to see how it plays out. I think WW trailers look good but I'm just not sure about Justice League. I'm not actually usually a big superhero team up fan though. With more characters you can't help but lose some character development which is why I wish it was "unite the 5" instead of " unite the seven."

Funny thing is, considering Snyder's history with panel for panel comic adaptations, I do wonder...would the reception to his DCEU films have been better if D.C. would have just handed him graphic novels for the characters the movies are based on and told
Him to do panel replication like he did with 300 and Watchmen?

I definitely disagree about the Timmverse being the model because there are many things I take issue with in that continuity and those issues are more egregious than any issue I have with the DCEU.

So word is that the Manta concept art was faithful to the comics. Very happpy. I wonder how Manta fits into this. Please do not punk him as they did in the Throne Of Atlantis DTV, Wan.

I don't think we have anything to worry about. Wan will get it right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"