Yahya Abdul-Mateen II IS Black Manta

I had hoped they would skew older when it came to casting Manta.

I was also expecting an older actor, but with Orm being played by an actor in his forties and Momoa approaching his forties, as well as there not being much of other A-list villains in Aquaman's mythos, I can see why they wanted to balance it out with a younger actor for Black Manta.

Orm being played by an older actor took me was surprise given that his schtick is being Aquaman's younger brother. I was hoping for someone who looked noticeably younger than Momoa, which I don't think Wilson does.

Orm being played by an older actor took me was surprise given that his schtick is being Aquaman's younger brother. I was hoping for someone who looked noticeably younger than Momoa, which I don't think Wilson does.

I believe he was older in the version where Orm was an illegitimate child, instead of Arthur, but I'm not sure. Anyway, they look pretty much around the same age to me.

Must have been an elseworld or a much older version. Orm's main drive as a character has been him thinking he deserves the throne, despite being the second born, because he's full atlantian.

Definitely wasn't an Elseworld. Orm was the older brother during the Peter David run.

Must have been an else world or a much older version. For as long as I've been aware Orm's main drive a character him thinking he deserves the throne, despite being the second born, because he's full atlantian.

Not esleworld, they kept changing Aquaman's origins through the years... I believe this was a retconed origin just before Peter David took over the run. Anyway, I had to check some facts, here are different versions, briefly listed:

Golden Age - Arthur's father was an undersea explorer seeking Atlantis and have taught Arthur to breathe underwater.

Silver Age - Arthur is son of a lighthouse keeper Tom Curry and Atlanna from Atlantis. Orm is Orm Curry, son of Tom Curry and a human woman, so a fully human brother of Arthur on father's side, with no legitimate claim to the throne whatsoever.

Post-Crisis - Orm is a son of Atlan and Inupiat woman and Aquaman is now named Orin and is a son of Atlan and Atlanna, who was abandoned because of the blond hair. Lighthouse keeper Arthur Curry (not a typo) took him and raised him and Orin took a name Arthur to honor him after his death. Orm is an illegitimate child, a bastard, and Orin/Arthur, being fully Atlantean, would have claim to the throne if not for the blond hair (mark of Kordax).

New 52 - Arthur is now half-human, being son of Atlanna and Tom Curry and Orm is of pure Atlantan, being son of Atlanna and Atlantean guard. Despite being younger, I believe this should give him a precedence over the throne, as Arthur is a bastard, while he is entirely Atlantean.

Last edited:
Not esleworld, they kept changing Aquaman's origins through the years... I believe this was a retconed origin just before Peter David took over the run. Anyway, I had to check some facts, here are different versions, briefly listed:

Golden Age - Arthur's father was an undersea explorer seeking Atlantis and have taught Arthur to breathe underwater.

Silver Age - Arthur is son of a lighthouse keeper Tom Curry and Atlanna from Atlantis. Orm is Orm Curry, son of Tom Curry and a human woman, so a fully human brother of Arthur on father's side, with no legitimate claim to the throne whatsoever.

Post-Crisis - Orm is a son of Atlan and Inupiat woman and Aquaman is now named Orin and is a son of Atlan and Atlanna, who was abandoned because of the blond hair. Lighthouse keeper Arthur Curry (not a typo) took him and raised him and Orin took a name Arthur to honor him after his death. Orm is an illegitimate child, a bastard, and Orin/Arthur would have claim to the throne if not for the blond hair (mark of Kordax).

New 52 - Arthur is now half-human, being son of Atlanna and Tom Curry and Orm is of pure royal blood (hence purely Atlantean), being son of Atlan and Atlanna. Despite being younger, I believe this should give him a precedence over the throne, as Arthur is a bastard, while he is fully royalty.

Poor Aquaman. Anyway hopefully the newest status quo sticks around for a substantial amount of time.

Poor Aquaman. Anyway hopefully the newest status quo sticks around for a substantial amount of time.

Actually, I edited New 52 part, as I made a mistake about Orm being fully royalty. He is not a son of Atlanna and Atlan, but Atlanna and Atlantean guard.

But yeah, they really couldn't make up their minds. :hehe:

I'm cool with New 52 approach, though I prefer Peter David's slightly more.

Wasn't expecting Ocean Master and Black Manta, but I'm guessing only one (likely Orm) is focused as the heel.

They really don't have much confidence in long-term plans right now. It's better to include him in this film just in case - primarily to give the fans a taste.

Agreed. Honestly his talent exceeded the material he was given. That could possibly also be the case with this movie, given the dceu track record so far, lol.

Yeah, normally I would be excited about most of the casting. But, after how things have gone so far, I feel most of these actors' talents will get wasted.

Yeah, normally I would be excited about most of the casting. But, after how things have gone so far, I feel most of these actors' talents will get wasted.

Top talents like Mikkelsen, Eccleston, Lee Pace and Rourke have been wasted in one movie CBM villains. I hope that's not the case here. I hope his son (Aqua-Lad) is in this. I like the Young Justice Manta.

Top talents like Mikkelsen, Eccleston, Lee Pace and Rourke have been wasted in one movie CBM villains. I hope that's not the case here. I hope his son (Aqua-Lad) is in this. I like the Young Justice Manta.

Well, I guess you could rarely make the complaint that the talent didn't try with whatever material they're given.

Introducing Aqualad at some point makes too much sense, so WB won't allow it to happen. :woot:

Cool choice! I'm surprised they are introducing him so soon but I'm happy they are!

Cool choice indeed. Now they just need to make that costume look good and not goofy, this will be the tricky one.

Can't wait to see what design Wan comes up with.

Yeah, they rushed the casting of one of their films' antagonists just to distract from the catastrophic news that their Actor/Director/Executive Producer/Writer is only Actor/Executive Producer/Writer now.

Fixed

Ah, I knew if the Affleck stuff. Hate to break it to people here but nobody really cares outside of a nerd board.

Awesome. I love The Getdown.

Hope the armor looks like the Young Justice one.

I liked Saw. I don't want Aquaman to be a horror story but I wouldn't mind him making the sea a scary looking place.
I expect with the criticism that they'll go lighter and show the beauty of the sea. Hopefully, it will be a bit of both." Saw" gives me hope though. That was a crazy good movie, in my opinion. It felt like seeing something I e never seen before on film.
There's a lot to be optimistic about I think but I hope it's not TOO swashbuckling.

I don't know anything about Black Manta but I love some of the comic pics I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"