You will believe a man can fly...that was then, this is NOW!??

Discussion in 'Superman Returns' started by Naite22, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Naite22

Naite22 Registered

Yeah I have to agree, they sucked royaly....:)

2. Casius--J

Casius--J Web Master

I personally thought the flyin in smallville was better than the matrix movies too. When i first saw them i was like woa lets see more of this!!

I have no doubt that the special effects will be amazing in this film and will be very convincing.

3. SuperDaniel

SuperDaniel Registered

What? It was made in 1978 and they still endure till today!! Yes they were VERY special and well done! The flying in the MaTRIX was lame and stupid. Too much CGI.

Scenes like Superman taking off the fortress of solitude, grabing the helicopter, taking off and waving goodbye to Lois Lane and the little girl, Superman with Lois, doing a loop in midle air and changing direction. The effects are still good even for today`s standards.

4. Naite22

Naite22 Registered

How right you are my friend:)... But I think he ment it as a joke.. If not, I'll hurt him[​IMG]

5. Naite22

Naite22 Registered

The most bad-ass flying shot (for me) in STM is when he's about to save the train (I think it is) and you see him flying over canyons I think it is, and he does this loop thingy and the camera follows him.. It looks so cool!! I love that movie!

6. SuperDaniel

SuperDaniel Registered

Thats the loop i`m talking about...
    [​IMG]

7. Bale

Bale Registered

Wow cool.

8. dark_b

dark_b Registered

i really want to see rouht flying. thats the only reason i am waitign for this trailer . because i want to see a clip of him flying in the clouds.

9. Mentok

Mentok Registered

Huh? You mean Kal/Clark flying after the Jet?

That sucked big time.

10. dark_b

dark_b Registered

the flying in the matrix was very CGI. but saying that in smallville it looked better is just insane. sorry but this is not right.

11. Casius--J

Casius--J Web Master

Nah i really thought it looked good!

12. Nivek

Nivek Registered

Watch for films. The Peter Pan remake from a couple years ago had awesome flying effects and wirework in it.

You can see Smallvilles budget when they do FX shots.

13. SolidSnakeMGS

SolidSnakeMGS Registered

I was going to try and post an .avi of this but I couldn't figure out how to capture video from my DVD-ROM. This is one of my favorite flying bits. It's two parts, after he flies downward (as above), the camera changes for him to fly towards the camera.

It's such a great shot. I hope they 'redo' this one in SR as an homage.

14. dark_b

dark_b Registered

is there a lot of flying in the peter pan movie?

i remember when i was a kid and i watched the movie hook. the flying looked great.

15. Cinemaman

Cinemaman Registered

I think they will make something greater than we saw before.

I hope so.

16. Metropolis_Man

Metropolis_Man Mister Doctor?

Yeah, Hook is a great movie. The flying did look really good.

17. Whack Arnolds

Whack Arnolds Registered

LOL, it was tongue in cheek. The effects were good for its time, but it certainly looks terribly dated today. You can practically visualize the wires holding him. You can't get a sense of propulsion or momentum with it at all. Looking at it from today's standards, and I just saw the movies for the first time last year, it looks incredibly fake and cheesy.

18. Metropolis_Man

Metropolis_Man Mister Doctor?

Wow, that is a really great shot. I loved that part in the movie. I also hope we get to some some flying angles like this in Returns.

19. zanos

zanos Registered

Singer will have a hard enough time convincing ppl he's a competent filmmaker. Forget about trying to live up to Superman the movie. All you have to do is look to the X-Men movies to see how inept he is with characters and staying faithful to the source.

20. SolidSnakeMGS

SolidSnakeMGS Registered

Weird, because he's apparently already proven it. REGARDLESS of your opinion on his respect to source integrity, three of the four films he has directed were very well recieved critically and two of those films, the X-Men films, also did extremely well at the box office. He's also won many awards and award nominations for his filmmaking skills.

He is MORE than a competent filmmaker. His ability to make a good movie is seperate from his ability to keep the integrity of the original story which is pretty debateable.

21. Gaurav Sharma

Gaurav Sharma Registered

Hey, I too watched the DVD yesterday and the effects even after all the CGI I have seen in Matrix, Spider Man, Hulk, seemed brilliant. Admittedly there are scenes where they look dated and maybe less than convincing but certainly not fake and cheesy. In fact, SM still remains a classic because of the human aspect it had in those flying scenes, where as Hulk even with all those heavy CGI effects fades into oblivion. Hopefully, Singer would avoid too much reliance on CGI and stick to real effects as much as possible. CGI should really be used for scenes which are physically impossible to achieve and should be a supportive rather than a dominant technology.

22. Gaurav Sharma

Gaurav Sharma Registered

23. djkris

djkris PLG Founder

It can be a great movie. It wishes to be. It only lacks the trailer to show them the way.

:D Great sig, SolidSnakeMGS!

24. dark_b

dark_b Registered

djkric awsome :). we need the trailer .............we need .

25. Brian Braddock

Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Not Hook (although the flying was good at points) - I think he's talking about the Peter Pan film from a couple of years ago. I had to endure that piece of rubbish as an in-flight movie when I was coming back off holiday. Horrible film but the flight stuff was really well done and made me wish for a new Superman film even more.

My favourite Reeve flying is after he drops the cat-burglar off to the beat-cop in 'S:the movie' and he banks just as he goes past the camera, when he waves goodbye to Lois atop the Dailey Planet and the loop that was mentioned previously.

I'm 100% convinced that we will see some really convincing, unhindered flying in Superman Returns.