The Dark Knight Rises Your opinon on TDKR thus far

It's probably not true, but I like to think WB got to keep Dark Knight in the title (for obvious, lowest common denominator marketing reasons) in exchange for Nolan's wish to not have it in 3D.

No, the literal meaning of "rises" is to get up. Metaphorically, it means to triumph.
You're needlessly arguing semantics. Given proper context one would read the title properly. Since Batman physically rising informs absolutely nothing of the story and is as random as "Batman Walks", then one would deduce it as Batman overcoming an obstacle. The common phrase "rising to the occasion" can be read literally without having to figure out some metaphorical meaning behind it.

Changing Batman to The Dark Knight doesn't change that, unless you're thinking of some other metaphorical meaning.
An additional meaning. It not only references Batman himself, but the criminal disease that has plagued Gotham for years. It continues the very speech Harvey gave the city during its darkest hours. This is the moment that both Gotham and Bruce have been waiting for, which started years ago with the death of the Wayne's. It is because of this that the current title is far superior. Thematically it resonates more because of its connection with the previous movies.

I'm really not understanding the complete dismissal of the title.

It sufficiently hits the marketing (continues TDK moniker), thematic ("the night is darkest just before the dawn") and metaphoric (Batman overcoming) targets that any good title would do. Far more effective than the trite fan-favorite of "Batman Rises".

I imagine that many of the people who would have preferred, "Batman Rises" as opposed to "The Dark Knight Rises" do so because of simmetry. If they had gotten their way, the trilogy would be bookended by "Batman_*blank*".

Batman Begins | The Dark Knight | Batman Rises

However, I do understand your later point about subtlety and context of meaning that would be lost in such a blunt "Batman...something" title.

Batman's not going to die, as you seem to be implying. That kind of a move for pure shock factor is more for a hack like M. Night Shyamalan.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said I think Batman will die. I've always thought the notion of Batman dying (as some people here seem to have) Is ridiculous. Nolan already said his Batman movies take place in the early days of his career, meaning he will still be Batman after his trilogy is over.

I was just saying the title of The Dark Knight wasn't just referencing Batman, but it had a gloomy side to it, referencing the fact that he is now an outlaw.

"The Dark Knight Rises" sounds too upbeat for a Nolan film and pretty much tells the viewer the ending before they even see it. "Batman's a hero again, Batsignal re-installed, everyone cheers." It's too predictable. I think there's going to be another meaning to the term "Rises" since Bane has "The Fire Rises" as his tagline.

And what has been shown about the new Spiderman to say it's crap or going to be crap?

Absolutely ecstatic about everything so far. Was a little bit surprised by the look of Bane, but I have absolute faith that Nolan will deliver yet again.

About the thread. Yeah, I'm confident that Nolan will deliver aswell. So far he hasn't made a movie I didn't like. EXCEPT Batman Begins. But I blame Goyer's ****y script for that.

I heard that James Newton Howard will not be involved in the Soundtrack. Hans is a talented composer, no doubt about that, but what made TDK have such an excellent sound was their collaboration together. I hope his omission from the soundtrack won't have a negative impact on the score.

This is what sucks most for me, as I'm an avid JNH fan (and film music in general), and feel he adds such emotional sensitivity in the BB score. Does anyone know why he isn't assisting Zimmer again?

I was thinking about the title myself.

The Dark Knight refers to Batman, as well as things getting really bad in Gotham. With that line of reasoning, could we assume that The Dark Knight Rises indicates that things will get even worse in Gotham--moreso than in TDK?

It would make Batman "rising" much more powerful.

is the film going to be called

1) The Dark Knight Rises

or is it

2) The Dark Knight - Rises.

Excuse the noob. just keen to know :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"