Your Top 3 WORST Batman Comics/Graphic Novels

The Knightfall series. I like the concept but it feels like a burden to read.

^ I know what you mean and for me it's the same with a Death in the Family; great ideas but tedious and slightly embarrising if you actually try to read it. I think those stories are better played in your head than word for word on the page. I wish they were represented in a modern form actually.

I haven't read ALL the comics but from what I've read so far (easily 70& of all that's been written since the end of the 80s) I would say that The Long Halloween and Dark Victory are in my top 3 for featuring artwork which I find so ugly I'd have a very hard time going through those stories again.

Pity though, cause I like the stories alright. It's just this horrible, horrible artwork. Just a matter of tastes.

Other than that, I've never liked Superman so all the stories he's in are a pain apart from the Hush storyline which is so great you couldn't even hold the presence of Superman against it.

Took me a while to appreciate Tim Sale's artwork, but after I did and found out the genius of it he's grown to be one of my fav's.

I haven't read ALL the comics but from what I've read so far (easily 70& of all that's been written since the end of the 80s) I would say that The Long Halloween and Dark Victory are in my top 3 for featuring artwork which I find so ugly I'd have a very hard time going through those stories again.

Pity though, cause I like the stories alright. It's just this horrible, horrible artwork. Just a matter of tastes.

Other than that, I've never liked Superman so all the stories he's in are a pain apart from the Hush storyline which is so great you couldn't even hold the presence of Superman against it.
you prefer HUSH over TLH?

sorry but that ruins all your credibility....:o

:cwink:
seriously TLH is WAY better than Hush....
seriously
....really
:dry:

That's the point. Certain interpretations of Batman have never been heroic.

Batman is heroic in Miller's books, as dark as he is. He's obsessed with fighting crime. He demonstrates courage, which is admirable.

While I personally prefer a very heroic, 70s, ing-down-the-street-in-broad-daylight-saying-hello-to-a-passing-pimp Batman,

:funny: I don't know if I'd call it heroic.
BATMAN1.gif

I've always enjoyed one or two "alternative" interpretations of the character.

Miller's interpretation of Batman made total sense given the circumstances in DKR, and All Star Batman is actually an outright spoof on Miller`s extreme, sadistic Batman. In a sense, Miller is almost agreeing with you in ASB&R; yes, outside of DKR's world, a sadistic Batman IS ridiculous, and ASB&R is a written example of that.

All-Star Batman and Robin's world is a very corrupt place. Miller always makes Gotham City so corrupt a place because he believes that "Batman works only in a world that's in terrible shape. In Batman: Year One and All-Star Batman and Robin there is corruption on every level, and cops are criminals. In Dark Knight civilization is in tatters. In DK2 the world is totally corrupt. If Gotham is a clean town then Batman is a psycho. His psychological state is extreme, but he's no psychopath." DK2 and All-Star Batman and Robin are not spoofs. It's not self-sarcasm. "No, no self-sarcasm. Quite the opposite. I was out to remind readers about the inherent joy and wonder these superheroes offer. I can't stand heroes who snivel and whine and endlessly talk about their feelings. I felt that we’d lost some of the central joy of the heroes. I wanted to get right back to the bone and break it all down, and show you that the Flash was cool because he’s really quick, and I don’t give a damn about his marriage. The Atom’s cool because he gets really little. The way I chose to make that cooler was instead of showing him getting smaller; I showed everything else around him getting bigger. But again, I don’t care about the Atom’s love life. One after the other, I was looking at the characters and getting back to what made them so cool at their core. Originally, my feeling was much like many other people's - I had always thought that Robin was a real pain-in-the-ass, but I now realize what a brilliant creation it was, because it really does give a human context to Batman's character. If Batman is done properly, he's such a powerhouse that he needs a restraining figure - and just a human being to be with him, especially a brightly-colored child, as perverse an idea as it is that a grown man would drag a child into the bullets! Robin is his apprentice. He's training his replacement. That's the life he intends for Robin. Of course Alfred's reaction is, "I'm dyspeptic!" and is horrified that Bruce would do such a thing, and even, if he did something like that, admit it out loud. Alfred has to deal with this nutcase as a boss, and now he has to worry about a kid as well. Batman had been watching Dick Grayson because he was the most talented kid he'd seen yet. He was planning on taking him under his wing in maybe another six years, but instead, he has to do it when the kid is still too young for the job. It was the murder of Dick Grayson's parents that forced his hand. There's always banter back and forth, where Robin thinks that a lot of the stuff Batman does is old fashioned and weird. I love the "Boy Wonder" line, before he was turned into the Teen Wonder, and almost a "Grim Robin." But I just love the idea of a young Robin. That's why I created Carrie Kelley in Dark Knight - I just loved the contrast between this stocky, tough, dark adult, and a colorful little pixie running around. Also – if you're older than 12, are you going to come up wit that costume? Do you think Bruce would? Robin creates "Robin," essentially. Bruce hadn't thought this thing through enough, given that he was somewhat "forced" to take Robin in before he – both Bruce, and Dick – were ready. Handling a kid? That's kind of outside his purview – somewhere outside of what he trained himself for. So he's struggling with the whole thing." - Frank Miller.

without a doubt, it's "I joker" by bob hall, it's an elseworlds story, but still, that's one total and utter abortion of an excuse for a comic book

Batman: Gotham County Line
Batman/Lobo
And, although it's not a graphic novel, there's an issue/story in DC's 'showcase' vol. 2 that I think's called "An Original Heist" or something, where the Joker plans on stealing all the original inventions, typewriters, phones etc, and has a new sidekick called 'Gaggy'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"