Zack Snyder’s Rebel Moon | Netflix

What an arrogant ass without any concept of self-awareness or understanding of criticism. The guy has no humility and thinks because he made a fortune directing commercials he is an "artist".
View attachment 87957

Yikes.

After the abysmal first film, I don't think I'll bother with this at all.
The conclusion of IGN's review is just delicious:
Ed Skrein's antagonist performance stands out amid a sea of uninspired filler in Rebel Moon – Part Two: The Scargiver. Zack Snyder's unsatisfying conclusion to his bombastic space opera is filled with flimsy character studies, exposition overload, and largely half-baked action sequences that rarely live up to the sci-fi classics it emulates. This finale is the cinematic equivalent of finishing a second-hand jigsaw puzzle only to find several pieces missing.
:lmao:

When was Netflix ever about auteur-driven film-making? Outside of Scorsese's The Irishman and Fincher's The Killer (and Snyder, I guess) I can't think of a single one.

The headlines are really misrepresenting the whole Leo almost "cast" in BvS thing. Just because you agree to a meeting with a filmmaker, it doesn't mean you're even close to being cast in that project. We know Leo's track record, the guy definitely had zero interest in committing to that film.

I just can't stand Snyder's constant name-dropping schtick, it's incredibly cringey.

The fact that Leo showed up for a meeting is kind of funny though. He apparently even gave some ideas. But then by Snyder’s own admission was like, “Eh,” when asking to commit lol

Tom Cruise also really wanting to play Rorschach in Watchmen is hilarious too. Trying to imagine Cruise narrate those journals.

The fact that Leo showed up for a meeting is kind of funny though. He apparently even gave some ideas. But then by Snyder’s own admission was like, “Eh,” when asking to commit lol

Tom Cruise also really wanting to play Rorschach in Watchmen is hilarious too. Trying to imagine Cruise narrate those journals.

But Cruise as Ozymandias would have worked. For Ozymandias they desperately needed an actor that usually plays the leading man. If Watchmen had come out during the heyday of the MCU then I would have cast Chris Evans in the role. Ozymandias needed to give off that all-American hero vibe so the twist would be effective. Instead, the movie version of the character was suspicious right from the beginning. I probably like the movie more than most but Ozymandias and Laurie were both miscast.

I'm 10 minutes into Part Two. The dialogue feels even worse somehow.

Edit: 30 minutes in and it's almost veering into so bad it's good territory.

Agreed, I'm about 20 minutes in and this is goofy. This is sloppier than the first one, the melodramatic bits couldn't possibly land worse. Okay, I'm going back, time to finish this thing.

You know I wasn't even going to bother with this after how much I disliked the first one and honestly I wish I didn't because this felt like an even bigger waste of time than the first movie was.

I just don't know what Snyder was going for with these movies outside of trying to force in as many elements of his previous stuff as he could but the whole thing just feels so soulless as an experience.

Also, what a waste of so many talented actors.

Agreed, I'm about 20 minutes in and this is goofy. This is sloppier than the first one, the melodramatic bits couldn't possibly land worse. Okay, I'm going back, time to finish this thing.

Some of the dialogue is on par with dialogue you'd hear on RLM's Best of the Worst episode.

He seems to believe that if you dislike his films, it means you want him to get castrated in post production by execs and test screenings, etc etc. Just a strange ultimatum he thought up.

When was Netflix ever about auteur-driven film-making? Outside of Scorsese's The Irishman and Fincher's The Killer (and Snyder, I guess) I can't think of a single one.

Roma! A spectacular film. But that might be just about it. They also "finished" Welles' The Other Side of the Wind so that's pretty tight.

Yeah I didn’t even realize part 2 was coming out soon. Not that I was paying much attention, but ya know. As others have said, it really sucks that Netflix abruptly s***canned great shows like GLOW and The Brothers Sun but lit money on fire so Snyder could make multiple installments of this crap.

Is Pt.2, Snyders TRUE vision? The ultimate version?

I never finished the first one but I sure as hell dont want to bother with this if it isnt the ultimate cut

I had to pause the movie at the 20 min mark just to log in here to say... GOOD GOD.

The flashback scene where they had people dressed as the orchestra playing the music from the movie while they're having a Julius Ceasar moment play out like it's a stage play is by far the dumbest executed idea I've ever seen in a "serious" movie. Dude does not know how to write drama or tension at all. lol

Not sure if anyone cares but I want to talk about the lapses in logic that are in this movie.

1. Noble and his crew still needing the wheat is a stupid plot point. In the first movie Noble tells the villagers that he's chasing the rebels but it's taking longer than he anticipated and his crew is running low on food. Fair enough.
But once Noble realizes that he's found Kora then she becomes the priority. It's established that her capture alone would get Noble what he wants. And then in Part Two Noble immediately figures out that Kora is back on Veldt and it will only take them 5 days to get there. So why do they still need the wheat? I know that right before the battle Kora tells Noble to take the wheat they need to travel back to the motherworld but the first movie already established that the dreadnought has FTL so do they really need the wheat that bad? And during the climax of the movie we find out that they actually don't as Noble is willing to blow up the entire village because Kora is aboard his ship and he's confident that he'll capture her. So really, the logical bargaining chip should have been Kora all along and not the wheat. Noble shows up but they can't risk destroying the village because they might kill Kora (and in Part One Balisarius ordered Noble to bring her in alive). That would be the logical angle here.
Because the movie needs to pretend that the wheat is still important there's also a hilarious scene towards the beginning of the film. The young soldier comes to inform our heroes that the dreadnought is heading their way and the conclusion that Titus draws is "they must really want that grain" instead of realizing that they're after Kora. It's especially funny because in the first movie it was established that out of all the characters it is Titus who knows the importance of Arthelais.

2. Characters' actions make no sense. Throughout the first movie it is made clear again and again that the Imperium cannot be trusted. And again in this movie. Titus' backstory exemplifies this. He surrendered himself so his men would be spared but they were all killed anyway. So what does Kora want to do when Noble arrives on Veldt? She offers herself up so the villagers would be spared. Even though she knows how cruel the Imperium is. Her whole backstory is literally about how cruel the Imperium is. In the first movie she even says that the villagers are stupid for thinking that they will be spared if they give the wheat to Noble. So Kora thinking that Noble might show mercy this time is literally this:

But-It-Might-Work-For-Us-meme-3gwdow.jpg

And even Titus tells Hagan that he thinks they can negotiate a trade with Noble which doesn't make any sense because if they give him the grain then what stops Noble from killing them all? And Titus says this right after he tells everyone about his tragic backstory.

3. The 5 day deadline is ridiculous. in the first film Gunnar told Noble that it will take them 9 weeks to harvest the crops but with the help of Titus' pep talk it magically takes them just 3 days. And in another 2 days they manage to train the villagers, build the fortifications and dig out the dropship. And Sam has time to make unique quilts for each of our heroes. and talks about them like she's really come to know them but it has literally been a few days.

4. Out of nowhere Titus hits everyone with the revelation that Princess Issa is alive. How does he know that? He doesn't elaborate and nobody questions him on that.

5. Not really an issue with logic but it's frustrating how the movie doesn't do anything with the stuff it sets up. I for sure thought that Noble cutting his recovery short would pay off in the end. Maybe as a result he's not thinking straight and makes decisions that screw everything up. Or maybe he's not fully physically recovered and in a pivotal moment loses to Kora in a fight because of it. I expected something. But no. It was just your typical "bad guy kills a subordinate" scene.

GKvmTkbWYAEJmsF.jpg

Is Pt.2, Snyders TRUE vision? The ultimate version?

I never finished the first one but I sure as hell dont want to bother with this if it isnt the ultimate cut

It isn’t - he’s announced so-called director’s extended cut again - and I’ve also read reports this movie has some lead ins for
future sequels

I had to pause the movie at the 20 min mark just to log in here to say... GOOD GOD.

The flashback scene where they had people dressed as the orchestra playing the music from the movie while they're having a Julius Ceasar moment play out like it's a stage play is by far the dumbest executed idea I've ever seen in a "serious" movie. Dude does not know how to write drama or tension at all. lol

That was the funniest scene.

Well this explains it getting a lower score than the first...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"