Zack Snyder's Visuals, Amazing or Trash?

I loved his visuals in Watchmen, 300, MOS & BvS. So yes, he has amazing visuals imo. The Doomsday fight in particular had some beautiful shots (Doomsday & Superman having the heat vision standoff, Batman emerging from the rubble etc) Everything with Dr. Manhattan was great in Watchmen.

There was a discussion in the JL threads about the look of the visuals in the new JL trailer. Here are some screenshots as well.

$

From the trailer Flash's abilities look great, but i'm getting worried that the big climax's going to be a big CGI mess like the Doomsday fight. Also Steppenwolf's a little bland in design.

Last edited:
He has his moments for sure, but overall, I'm not a huge fan of his superhero movies.

From what I've seen, mostly trash. To me his visual style looks like a muddy concrete parking lot, if said parking lot was filmed with a monochrome filter and then oversaturated with blatant CGI laser and lightning effects...and lots of rain.

To be completely fair to the man, I'm sure he's done some good visuals here and there, but most of what I've seen out of him is just not a style that really appeals to me all that much.

his visuals was amazing but always forget to insert moment what those heroes supposed to do.

He has his moments for sure, but overall, I'm not a huge fan of his superhero movies.

Nor am I, but his main problems are with story and characters, not with visuals.

Nor am I, but his main problems are with story and characters, not with visuals.

Which sadly what storytelling is all about! For me visuals are an added bonus but don't even come close to making or breaking a movie.

Visuals should inform the story and characters. Sometimes his visuals work against it.

I loved his visuals in Watchmen, but I haven't really liked them since...

Which sadly what storytelling is all about! For me visuals are an added bonus but don't even come close to making or breaking a movie.

Same. Visuals can make a movie look pretty, but if you're falling short with the story and characters, then what you have is a pretty looking shallow movie.

Amazing. Doesn't get any better.

For example, my least favorite Snyder film is Sucker Punch. I really don't care much for it overall, but I still purchased the film for the visuals and action sequences alone.

Yep. Without a doubt. His visuals may not appeal to some, but there's clearly some artistic talent there. Zack Snyder the cinematographer is a lot better than Zack Snyder the director.

A lot of his visuals look great, but there's often a lack of balance or variety in the visuals over the course of a film.

Last edited:
I don't really care for much of Synder's visuals. They often come across as overly fake. For example, the Batmobile chase in BvS is clearly CG, the car has no weight and doesn't behave according to real-world physics.
Batman taking out the guys in the warehouse was very cool though, until he started killing them...
His first appearance in the movie with him running across the ceiling like Dracula was terrible...

Yep. Without a doubt. His visuals may not appeal to some, but there's clearly some artistic talent there. Zack Snyder the cinematographer is a lot better than Zack Snyder the director.

Well put. Sums it up perfectly. Especially the last line.

I think even as a so-called cinematographer, Zack Snyder is super-inconsistent. Inspiring shots are followed by ugly mediocrity. Impressive action beats - by slo-mo nonsense or a total indistinguishable mess. Really frustrating. Yes, he demonstrates consistency sometimes, but only when he's adapting cult graphic novels, where artists did almost everything for him.

Visuals are literally the only thing he's good at. AMD even then it has to be with subject matter that should be very dark and drab, because that's all he ever does

Visuals are literally the only thing he's good at. AMD even then it has to be with subject matter that should be very dark and drab, because that's all he ever does

Even then his visuals, with a handful of exceptions, are on the whole nothing special.

Visuals-wise, Nolan and Burton blow Snyder away easily.

I think even as a so-called cinematographer, Zack Snyder is super-inconsistent. Inspiring shots are followed by ugly mediocrity. Impressive action beats - by slo-mo nonsense or a total indistinguishable mess. Really frustrating. Yes, he demonstrates consistency sometimes, but only when he's adapting cult graphic novels, where artists did almost everything for him.

Visuals-wise, Nolan and Burton blow Snyder away easily.

This. Even his visuals are overrated. I think BVS was the worst looking CBM ever until SS came out. MOS at least had its moments.

I'm a fan of 300, but the only thing that was exceptional about the visuals was Gerard Butler.

And I really hate his slow motion.

Suicide Squad is an ugly film, especially CGI crap and set design.

BvS is more complex in a sense, that I like what Snyder does with non-CGI stuff, but at the same time I strongly dislike his color grading, which turns impressive set and costume designs, as well as camera work, into something lifeless, artificial, drab and unpleasant. Faces look like faces of recently diseased people.

Those horrible bright trippy colors they used in SS stand out as really ugly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"