Zazie Beets officially cast as Domino in Deadpool 2

Discussion in 'Deadpool 2' started by SocietalStain, Mar 9, 2017.

1. OutOfBoose #ReleaseTheAyerCut

Sure. Why did they make the spot white then on a black actress then? It's obvious.

And it's ridiculous to say that she doesn't look like a white female in the comics. She does. And black people look like black people in comics. See Misty Knight and many other ethnic characters.

2. Abudefduf Registered

Nice, but I like this one more.

[​IMG]

When was the last time that we saw a character that looks like this in a movie? I just don't get how "regular girl with paler skin around her eye" is better than this (kind of iconic) look.

3. Sithborg The Pink Devil

Yeah, clearly the 90's costumes are an inspiration. I also doubt that she will only have one suit in the film.

About the only thing is, I kind of wish the purple was a bit brighter.

4. OutOfBoose #ReleaseTheAyerCut

Thanks for killing this awesome design, folks. Doesn't mean the movie can't be good without staying faithful to comic book visuals, but it doesn't make it less disappointing.

Welcome to the club, Domino:
    [​IMG]

Looks like it's trendy these days.

5. Zarex Registered

It appears as though Leitch didn't want to lighten Ms. Beets skin - understandable - so they went with black skin with a white eye versus white skin with a black eye. But Zazie's skin isn't particularly dark, so the white eye covering doesn't stand out as well as a black one would. I think it is an odd look.

6. def28 Registered

I disagree, it would have worked fine. Her skin is still light even though it's not chalk white.

I also think that they could have had full makeup on her face in either a light grey or blue, not gone full chalk white and it would have led to a more creative visual. This looks lazy to me as far as makeup. This feels like a very easy way out just cause of her ethnicity. Which I don't think was a problem in any way to come up with something more creative and more resembling the character. Who does not have natural skin. The eye patch is from being marked in a program.

#131 def28, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  7. Sithborg The Pink Devil

I think the milky eyeball is an brilliant design choice.

8. marcvader Lurker #1

What I'm saying is, this would be color inversion if the comic character in the comics was just a "white girl" or caucasian with a dark spot around the eye. The Domino in the comics is literally the color white. To call it inverted you'd have to go with someone literally the color black. Zazzie is not literally the color black therefor they didn't invert the color of Domino by casting an African American.

9. Smilodon Registered

This. I didn't notice it at first, but if it's vitiligo, that would be pretty smart of them.

Of course, she could also still be experimented on, only that she gets a white marking instead of a black one.

10. -JKR- Registered

Who knows. I may be completely wrong. But it does look like the white patch around her eye could be from vitiligo in this version (instead of having her overall skin be chalke-white).

11. OutOfBoose #ReleaseTheAyerCut

They're clearly playing on color inversion as a reflection of ethnicity bending.

12. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Was all the rage for action heroines. A raven haired girl in black leather shooting things maybe even fighting monsters. Beckinsale is still doing them.

13. Kreem Pi Registered

The horror....

14. Nathan Registered

Since Zazie isn't all that dark skinned anyway, why not keep the black spot actually black? Now she just looks like a black woman with a slight case of vitiligo.

15. -JKR- Registered

Pretty much. Yeah.

I'm still surprised how no one commented on how spot on for the character the look on Zazie Beetz's face is.

16. Stark Bauer Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

See this is what is called a negative reaction lol. Fan backlash. It's time to listen Fox.

17. Abudefduf Registered

Touché. :hehe:

Okay, then how about a girl with a glorious afro, chalk white skin and a black patch around her eye? That's not something you see often in movies.

18. def28 Registered

Do you not remember Quicksilver? The most hated reveal on the internet, now the crowd stealer in the whole series.

I don't like the makeup myself but this means nothing in terms of actual quality of the character.

19. Nathan Registered

Literally nothing will change. And I'm sure that Reynolds and the rest of the team are totally behind this creative change. And anyone who keeps complaining about it, will eventually be branded a racist.

20. -JKR- Registered

To think that this so called 'fan backlash' really matters is slightly delusional. The original movie was smash hit at the box office, and if the trailers for this look as good as the ones for the original (which the actual entirety of the moviegoing audience won't determine based on Domino's eye patch color) they'll flock into theaters June 1st. And if David Leitch manages to deliver a movie as good as Deadpool and John Wick we all win. But you will still have the right to moan over Domino's look.

21. Drseuss Registered

the 'fans' are tearing over domino not being comic book accurate

but theyre sure tess thompson's Valkyrie is tho

22. GuestStar2004 Registered

This franchise lol.

23. def28 Registered

24. Smilodon Registered

Zazie has sharp facial features - has a cool look and would look good as an action heroine. Her white patch eye (which is a different color than her other eyes) makes her look even more striking.

25. Drseuss Registered