1938 Superman. The One To Adapt?

Yeah, it was seriously good scene.

There should be a montage in the movie of Superman doing stuff like that. They did it in the original movie. They did it in Spider-Man. So, why not here as well? It wouldn't distract from the supervillians.

yea superman saving folks from crooks and what not could be some of his first early saves before we get to all the super villain stuff.

yea superman saving folks from crooks and what not could be some of his first early saves before we get to all the super villain stuff.

Something like this...but better:

[YT]YaLICqJyCB4[/YT]

Yup, and on a sidenote during those scenes in the spidey movies man it would have been fun if they threw in a c,d list villain spidey could beat in a few moves.

As promised here's one image i found online:

superman.jpg

Daybreak_st

Kickass that panel. Awesome way for Supes to demonstrable the "faster than a speeding bullet" gig.

Wow, then yeah, i'd like to see more of that type of superman. Kuro, have you read Birthright? I think you'd enjoy it. It's my favorite version of the character so far, although i hate that DC didn't continue to use it.

Wow, then yeah, i'd like to see more of that type of superman. Kuro, have you read Birthright? I think you'd enjoy it. It's my favorite version of the character so far, although i hate that DC didn't continue to use it.

I did, and thought it was really well done.

I think that Superman scene above is so UN-SUPERMAN but that`s just me. It`s something Batman would do but Supes? Nah! I don`t like the golden Age Superman at all and the best thing they did was to upgrade that version to the one we know today. I completely disagree with Kurosawa but that`s ok. Being a purist is to be very close-minded, IMO.

That scene would be great in my opinion, but i can't see them using it. Can you imagine once the media got a hold of it "Superman uses a gun!" it would make headlines. No, i like the scene in the comic but i'm sure we wouldn't see it in the film.

those were nice panels and i said it before i wouldnt mind adapting many traits from each era to the character this time around. so they take the good stuff from all that and make the character into a more rounded out type of person.

I think it would be neat to have the opening sequence be that original sequence from Action #1 where he saves the girl from going to death row and then the story grows into the more cosmic powered threats. Maybe that's when he learns of his unearthly origins.

I think that Superman scene above is so UN-SUPERMAN but that`s just me. It`s something Batman would do but Supes? Nah! I don`t like the golden Age Superman at all and the best thing they did was to upgrade that version to the one we know today. I completely disagree with Kurosawa but that`s ok. Being a purist is to be very close-minded, IMO.

What is Un-Superman to me is crap like this:

dc.jpg

I mean...could they make him look like a bigger tool or what?

Or the countless lectures/humiliations/beatdowns at the hands of Batman.

I hate the farmboy big blue boy scout ********.

The one we know today is a punk and a joke. People view him a wuss because he IS a wuss.

Give me this guy:

burn.jpg

That is also UN-SUPERMAN. Anyways, i hate the way the character is treated today.

What i don`t like about the above scene you posted is that Superman is invoking fear into someone on purpose and that is not SUPERMAN. He is crossing the line a little bit too much. Both are wrong interpretations of the character, IMO. I believe this movie needs to foccus on the fun and good qualities of the character and not his badass ones. Frank Miller treats Superman like a wuss but Jurgens never did that in the 90`s.

I wouldn`t mind seeing Superman angry, though, like the pic you posted of him fighting Mongul. I want to see that too. That`s one of the reasons i want Superman to fight Braniac robots in the next movie. This way he can unleash his powers with no problem of getting someone hurt. O even do a scene like in Terminator 2 that he fights the army or the police, just disarming them and scaring them away without people getting hurt.

Last edited:
That is also UN-SUPERMAN. Anyways, i hate the way the character is treated today.

What i don`t like about the above scene you posted is that Superman is invoking fear into someone on purpose and that is not SUPERMAN. He is crossing the line a little bit too much. Both are wrong interpretations of the character, IMO. I believe this movie needs to foccus on the fun and good qualities of the character and not his badass ones. Frank Miller treats Superman like a wuss but Jurgens never did that in the 90`s.

I wouldn`t mind seeing Superman angry, though, like the pic you posted of him fighting Mongul. I want to see that too. That`s one of the reasons i want Superman to fight Braniac robots in the next movie. This way he can unleash his powers with no problem of getting someone hurt. O even do a scene like in Terminator 2 that he fights the army or the police, just disarming them and scaring them away without people getting hurt.

Well I'll admit that the early scene with the gun is pretty extreme, but I do support Superman being anti-establishment and having a strong social conscience. Him being so establishment instantly puts many people off. And I did like the warrior aspect that Jurgens brought to him even though he was stuck with the farmboy Jethro boyscout crap.

Last edited:
Im sorry but the guy was selling guns to teenagers who then went and shot up a school for pete's sake!!! He deserved what he got from Superman i thought, it was great scene. The difference is the guy was never in any danger and the way most laws work he'd either never gotten convicted or went right back to doing when he got released. Supes showed him exactly how it felt to be at the mercy of a gun and the guy will still never experience the trama those children in that school did.

So yeah first time i saw the scene i was surprised but at the same time it's a little righteous indignation on the part of superman. I think it fit the scenario.

I think that Superman scene above is so UN-SUPERMAN but that`s just me. It`s something Batman would do but Supes? Nah!

Batman would never do something like that. What he would do is beat the guy so bad that he would never walk again.

Anyway I thought that scene was a little shocking but still kinda awesome.

While Superman doing stuff like that sounds like a good idea, Superman movies desperately need him kicking the hell out of some high-powered alien. When a lot of people's memories of the movies are just him talking to Lex, something's missing.

While Superman doing stuff like that sounds like a good idea, Superman movies desperately need him kicking the hell out of some high-powered alien. When a lot of people's memories of the movies are just him talking to Lex, something's missing.

No one said he wouldn't be kicking some alien's butt. You can have both.

yup we need to have a good story/depth and some kick butt action.

I was watching The Secret Origins of DC, a documentary about the company, and when they talked about Superman's badass origin, I was reminded about this thread. I think this is a good subject to discuss. Maybe it is time to bring back that Superman.

I would like too see this Superman's personality adapted to the new film. I said this today in an earlier thread, but since this one as been revived I'll say it again. Adapting the John Wayne in tights Superman of the golden age is a way to make the character more bad ass without deviating from the true nature of Superman or making him Batman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"