2013/2014 NFL Thread: Time to Scream!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to lie. Half of me wants the Chiefs to lose because I feel the hype is fraudulent. However, the other half wants the Chiefs to win because I want to see the Broncos lose against Alex Smith.

LOL, same here. I also hate Peyton Manning, so if the Chiefs were to somehow win this game, it would be glorious.

It would have been a media s***storm and the awaited "legitimacy" of Alex Smith.

Tom Brady might clean house next week. I have a feeling.

Well, that was... to be expected.

Alex Smith is a game manager. Those type of QBs can't lead you down the field and score at will when trailing from behind.

That fumble by Sherman was a game changer. The Chiefs receivers had a lot of dropped passes too. I feel Kansas City can beat Denver, but it's gonna take 0 mistakes to do so.

Well, that was... to be expected.

Alex Smith is a game manager. Those type of QBs can't lead you down the field and score at will when trailing from behind.

Yeah, tonight showed two things. It not only showcased Alex Smith's true nature, but it also legitimized the Bronco's winning record. Regardless of Alex Smith and the offense, that Chiefs defense is still the best in the league. Peyton Manning and crew still tore that ass up.

It would have been a media s***storm and the awaited "legitimacy" of Alex Smith.

Tom Brady might clean house next week. I have a feeling.

I got to look at the forecast for next week…hopefully it calls for snow

Yeah, tonight showed two things. It not only showcased Alex Smith's true nature, but it also legitimized the Bronco's winning record. Regardless of Alex Smith and the offense, that Chiefs defense is still the best in the league. Peyton Manning and crew still tore that ass up.

To be honest, I think The Chiefs' D was a tad overrated. Hali and Houston are great pass rushers but that's about it. You can't ask them to drop into coverage without them being liabilities. Poe had a strong start to this season but he's starting to slow down. He's not collapsing the pocket and pressuring the QB like he was 4-5 weeks ago. Flowers is very solid but Berry is meh (don't know how he made to the Pro-Bowl). With that said, props for holding that offense to 27 points.

Yeah, Alex Smith will never be anything other a system QB who is told to simply not make mistake. The Chiefs are solely dependent on the run game and their defense. Once you fall behind two scores with Smith at the helm, you can pretty much kiss your ass goodbye. Game over. That's what happened tonight. In order for Kansas City to make it deep in the playoffs, they need a legitimate QB.

I disagree. Seattle's defense is better than KC's. KC is a good defense, not sure that they are elite. Peyton Manning picked them apart piece by piece. This would've been a three TD deficit if not for Denver being such a conservative team.

At any rate, tonight's game showed legitimized Jim Harbaugh's decision to move in Kapernick's direction (even with his sophomore slump) and shows just how badly San Fran trade raped KC. Defenses may win championships, but they cannot do so in the modern NFL without a real offense. A game manager cannot win a Super Bowl in the modern NFL.

Last edited:
To be honest, I think The Chiefs' D was a tad overrated. Hali and Houston are great pass rushers but that's about it. You can't ask them to drop into coverage without them being liabilities. Poe had a strong start to this season but he's starting to slow down. He's not collapsing the pocket and pressuring the QB like he was 4-5 weeks ago. Flowers is very solid but Berry is meh (don't know how he made to the Pro-Bowl). With that said, props for holding that offense to 27 points.

Yeah, Alex Smith will never be anything other a system QB who is told to simply not make mistake. The Chiefs are solely dependent on the run game and their defense. Once you fall behind two scores with Smith at the helm, you can pretty much kiss your ass goodbye. Game over. That's what happened tonight. In order for Kansas City to make it deep in the playoffs, they need a legitimate QB.

I didn't know the Chiefs defense was the #1 scoring and #1 on 3rd down until last night. I'd love to see Peyton Manning try to pick apart the Seattle or Carolina defense. Half of me thinks he can, but the other half isn't so sure. The pressure is too much with those defenses.

I disagree. Seattle's defense is better than KC's. KC is a good defense, not sure that they are elite. Peyton Manning picked them apart piece by piece. This would've been a three TD deficit if not for Denver being such a conservative team.

At any rate, tonight's game showed legitimized Jim Harbaugh's decision to move in Kapernick's direction (even with his sophomore slump) and shows just how badly San Fran trade raped KC. Defenses may win championships, but they cannot do so in the modern NFL without a real offense. A game manager cannot win a Super Bowl in the modern NFL.

Very true. Just like the Cowboys/Broncos game was the epitome of Tony Romo's career, last night may have been the epitome of Alex Smith's career.

I got to look at the forecast for next week…hopefully it calls for snow

If it snows, then I'll bet every dollar I got against the Broncos. Manning sucks in cold weather. One thing I'm worried about is if the Broncos go all the way, can they play at optimal level in East Rutherford in February?

I don't know why were blaming Alex Smith for last night's loss. Was anybody actually watching the game? How many passes were dropped, including by Bowe? Perfect pass down the sideline, hits him in the hands, and he drops it?

Even Cris "I hate Alex" Collinsworth made mention of how many drops KC's receivers had. Alex has nothing to work with on that offense.

Wow, that Steelers/Lions game was pathetic on both parts. Any team that gives up 27 points in one quarter is just insanely bad. Of course, the fact that the Lions gave up their lead, turned it over 3 times, gave up a **** load of penalty yards, etc just proves my point about Jim Schwartz. Lions are winning on the merit of a cake schedule, but every problem they've had under Schwartz persists this year and will continue to persist until they have a coach who makes discipline a priority.

That stupid fake FG was the difference in the game. I put the blame squarely on Gym Shorts. You're on the road in the fourth quarter with a 4 point lead, you kick the FG to make it a 7 point game, no questions asked. Terrible loss by the Lions, I knew all the hype we were getting this week was too good to be true, and we of course, played down to the Steelers in every way. Hopefully they can try not to lose to the Bucs at home this week.

I love how Alex Smith gets zero credit for the 9 wins but all the blame for the one loss.

I credit Smith with those 9 wins. He does enough to keep his team ahead, uses their run game, doesn't make mistakes. But, put him down, 2 to 3 scores, and he has difficulty.

So do 99% of the quarterbacks in the league.

I'd like to see the actual numbers, but I'm pretty sure that more than 3 QBs have a good average of coming back down by at least 10.

I don't know why were blaming Alex Smith for last night's loss. Was anybody actually watching the game? How many passes were dropped, including by Bowe? Perfect pass down the sideline, hits him in the hands, and he drops it?

Even Cris "I hate Alex" Collinsworth made mention of how many drops KC's receivers had. Alex has nothing to work with on that offense.

There were several missed opportunities by the Chiefs last night. The fumble by Sherman one of them. The only big mistake I saw Alex Smith make was when Bowe was lined up with a LB in man to man coverage. Could have been an easy 7 points.

Alex is no Peyton Manning/Tom Brady. Everybody knows that. But he did his job last night and didn't turn the ball over.

I love how Alex Smith gets zero credit for the 9 wins but all the blame for the one loss.

Smith doesn't deserve credit for either. Smith does not lose games for the Chiefs. Conversely, he does not win games. He is the definition of a game manager. He certainly wasn't worth two draft picks.

Alex Smith doesn't deserve full blame. Of course not. The Chiefs WRs dropped balls. My thing is, Alex Smith plays too conservatively. He's too afraid to throw vertical. Not turning the ball over is cool and all, but true franchise QBs take those chances. Like I said, I don't know if it's Smith's own call or if it's Reid's, but he needs to cut loose like I am sure he could. Off the top of my head, both Brees and Manning turned the ball over yesterday, but that's what happens. "He's just doing his job," "he does just enough," and "he doesn't turn the ball over" are practically insults to a QB in the current era where the game is catered to the QB and receivers.

My point is, if Alex Smith actually took chances, the Chiefs could be a powerhouse team.

I credit Smith with those 9 wins. He does enough to keep his team ahead, uses their run game, doesn't make mistakes. But, put him down, 2 to 3 scores, and he has difficulty.

1.) Most QB's have difficulty in this situation

2.) I have seen Alex excel in these situations PLENTY of times.

About tonight, I cannot wait for Gruden's commentary. It's been a while since there has been two gunslingers playing against each other on MNF.

"Let me tell you about this guy!"

1.) Most QB's have difficulty in this situation

2.) I have seen Alex excel in these situations PLENTY of times.

I don't think it's out of the question to trust some QBs over others

Alex Smith doesn't deserve full blame. Of course not. The Chiefs WRs dropped balls. My thing is, Alex Smith plays too conservatively. He's too afraid to throw vertical. Not turning the ball over is cool and all, but true franchise QBs take those chances. Like I said, I don't know if it's Smith's own call or if it's Reid's, but he needs to cut loose like I am sure he could. Off the top of my head, both Brees and Manning turned the ball over yesterday, but that's what happens. "He's just doing his job," "he does just enough," and "he doesn't turn the ball over" are practically insults to a QB in the current era where the game is catered to the QB and receivers.

My point is, if Alex Smith actually took chances, the Chiefs could be a powerhouse team.
We are now talking about 2 different teams who treat Smith the same way. Smith isn't Manning. I think if Smith could "cut loose" he would have. I mean he came in 2005, if something hasn't happened yet at almost 30, it's not like he will light up a team next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"