2022 Box Office - Top 10 movies

HammerDown

“Do not, my friends, become addicted to water...“
Reaction score
What will be the Top 10 grossing films worldwide?

2022 is chock-full with potential regarding strong box office results. From sequels to highly profitable titles, to high profile originals, remakes... there's plenty around to definitely revive the box office in a big way.

Feb. 18th
- Uncharted
Mar. 4th - The Batman
Apr. 1th - Morbius // Apr. 8th - Sonic The Hedgehog 2 // Apr. 15th - Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore
May 6th - Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness // May 20th - Dowtown Abbey // May 27th - Top Gun: Maverick
Jun. 10 - Jurassic World: Dominion // Jun. 17th - Lightyear
Jul. 1st - Minions: The Rise of Gru // Jul. 8th - Thor: Love and Thunder // Jul. 29th - Super-Pets
Aug. - ???
Sep. 23rd - Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
Oct. 7th - Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2 // Oct. 21st - Black Adam
Nov. 11th - Black Panther: Wakanda Forever // Nov. 23rd. Creed 3
Dec. 12th - Shazam! Fury of the Gods // Dec. 16th - Avatar 2

Last edited:
I'll start by picking what i think will be the nr. 1 box office hit. Avatar 2
2009's Avatar is still the reining BO title of all time for almost 2.9B reasons. James Cameron knows what he's doing and i don't feel like betting against him even though there are other heavy hitters coming out next year. Now that overall Top 10 discussion should be much more interesting and debatable.

The Flash so close to Black Panther: Wakanda Forever isn't ideal.
Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom vs Avatar 2 is a "Move or you will be moved" sort of situation.
Also Top Gun and John Wick 4 coming out the same day...

giphy.gif

Tricky to predict anything with the pandemic still affecting everything and might still do next year. But unless there are more delays I wote for Avatar 2. It might see some tough competition from Aquaman 2, but on the other hand there are a lot of superhero-movies next year so maybe we'll see some superhero-fatigue.

I'm sure there will be few Chinese movies on the worldwide chart also. There might be a sequel to The Battle at Lake Changjin in 2022, for example

My prediction for the Top 10.

1. Avatar 2
2. Jurassic World: Dominion
3. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
4. Thor: Love and Thunder
5. The Batman
6. Mission Impossible 7
7. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
8. Minions: The Rise of Gru
9. Black Adam
10. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2

Avatar 2 and Aquaman 2 are opening the same day? One of them has got to move, right?

Avatar 2 and Aquaman 2 are opening the same day? One of them has got to move, right?
Yeh. Something needs to move.

That's why i left Aquaman 2 out of my Top 10 because if it competes against Avatar 2 i think that will hurt it's BO significantly because otherwise it would clearly be in the list. Avatar 2 might be the one to move as well and if that happens then Aquaman 2 will slot somewhere in the Top 10 and the BO race for number 1 would be much more open.

Not sure if either Avatar or Aquaman needs to move. Around Christmas there usually is room for several movies to breathe. Back in 2009 there were two major releases the week after Avatar was released, Sherlock Holmes and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel. Even with Avatar's record-breaking run those two were able to gross over $200 million domestically.

Not sure if either Avatar or Aquaman needs to move. Around Christmas there usually is room for several movies to breathe. Back in 2009 there were two major releases the week after Avatar was released, Sherlock Holmes and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel. Even with Avatar's record-breaking run those two were able to gross over $200 million domestically.
If they release in the same date Avatar 2 and Aquaman 2 will definitely damper each other’s box office results, not saying that they won’t make a ton of money but it won’t be as much as if they had the spotlight for themselves. Also both Avatar 2 and Aquaman 2 have similar angles, big scoped movies with a shared water element and they play for the same audience which also doesn’t help.

Avatar and Sherlock where 1 week apart and they are fairly different movies. Alvin and the Chipmunks is animated and it’s target audience is also different.

I feel like Avatar 2 and Aquaman 2 are targeting the same demographic though. They’re just going to split the box office if they stay. I don’t think either would want that.

Is that an optimistic prediction? No one really knows how the BO will fare - 2022 is less than a month away & we're now in a wave of Omicron variant.

Is that an optimistic prediction? No one really knows how the BO will fare - 2022 is less than a month away & we're now in a wave of Omicron variant.
It's just one of those projections that screams 'please invest in movies next year'. Definitely overly optimistic.

Gower Street estimates 2021 worldwide box office stood at $19.2B as of December 11, repping a roughly 75% increase on 2020.
With SM:NWH, Matrix 4, Kings Man, Sing 2… still to come I think it’s safe to say the final 2021 BO overall total will go up to around 21B.

The BO is slowly but surely coming back and 2022 will be a massive year for movies with a ton of huge releases so it’s not a stretch to think it will considerably outdo the the previous year.

The BO is slowly but surely coming back and 2022 will be a massive year for movies with a ton of huge releases so it’s not a stretch to think it will considerably outdo the the previous year.
Outdo, sure, but more than double the 2021 North American box office with the pandemic still ongoing, Omicron etc.? Based on the data we have now, that's definitely an optimistic forecast to try and get stakeholders back on board.

Outdo, sure, but more than double the 2021 North American box office with the pandemic still ongoing, Omicron etc.? Based on the data we have now, that's definitely an optimistic forecast to try and get stakeholders back on board.
The report talks about the Worldwide Box Office and a 2021 total of 19.2B which will surely go up to around 21B.

The projection for the 2022 worldwide box office is 33B. (21 x 2 = 42 not 33)

The report talks about the Worldwide Box Office and a 2021 total of 19.2B which will surely go up to around 21B.

The projection for the 2022 worldwide box office is 33B. (21 x 2 = 42 not 33)
That's why I said North America. Report also says
(...) the most notable gain is expected to be in North America. Currently projected to hit $9.2B in 2022, up from an estimated $4.4B in 2021, that would see it move back up to its pre-pandemic position as the No. 1 global box office market, having been overtaken by China in both 2020 and 2021 (...)

I think I'll have to go with The Batman, but Avatar 2 could easily out do it. We just don't know what spring as opposed to winter will look like. COVID variants and all that stuff.

Any overall BO predictions are going to be very tricky and dependent on the state of things.

Report also says
However, says Gower Street, the most notable gain is expected to be in North America. Currently projected to hit $9.2B in 2022, up from an estimated $4.4B in 2021, that would see it move back up to its pre-pandemic position as the No. 1 global box office market, having been overtaken by China in both 2020 and 2021
Sure. Have you also taken into consideration that 2021 was a transitional/proving ground year regarding the box office “post C19”? Because even though we’re clearly not out of the woods yet we’re much better off than we where before.

Also do a comparison between the movies that came out in 2021 and the ones that are coming out in 2022. In general a much more appealing and numerous bunch. We are talking about sequels to some of the highest grosses ever plus a myriad of comic book movies, sequels to highly profitable animated movies and franchises. That will also play a factor in getting people back.

Because even though we’re clearly not out of the woods yet we’re much better off that’s we where before.
I'm not saying that it won't improve, but I am saying that this report feels overly optimistic on purpose. Again, there's a difference between 'box office is improving' and going from an estimated $4.4B in 2021 to $9.2B in 2022.

Also do a comparison between the movies that came out in 2021 and the ones that are coming out in 2022. We are talking about sequelas to some of the highest grosses ever plus a myriad of comic book movies, sequels to highly profitable animated movies and franchises. That will also play a factor in getting people back.
Sure. Though we had plenty of big movies in 2021 as well. Three marvel movies for example that all sit in the top 5 lowest grossing MCU movies to date. We're in a year where Dune beat the WW box office of Black Widow. Again, things will change, and likely for the better, but that doesn't make these early numbers more reliable.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that it won't improve, but I am saying that this report feels overly optimistic on purpose. Again, there's a difference between 'box office is improving' and going from an estimated $4.4B in 2021 to $9.2B in 2022.

Sure. Though we had plenty of big movies in 2021 as well. Three marvel movies for example that all sit in the top 5 lowest grossing MCU movies to date. We're in a year where Dune beat the WW box office of Black Widow. Again, things will change, and likely for the better, but that doesn't make these early numbers more reliable.
Again I think it’s definitely going to improve significantly and it could very well do those numbers. 2021 was a transitional year and 2022 should do considerably better.

2021 had some big tittles but it pales in comparison to what’s to come in 2022.

Happy New Year fellow film fans and moviegoers! Let’s discuss the box office for this year on this thread, shall we?

Box Office Ends Year 60 Percent Behind 2019 With $4.5B – The Hollywood Reporter

Hoping 2022 see’s a good rebound that brings the box office back closer to pre-pandemic levels but you never know with Covid, but this movie seems to be offering a wider selection of theatrical tentpole films to offer compared to 2021 and especially 2020, and so far if anything on this list doesn’t get delayed and pushed back, I think 2022 will be quite a robust year for theatrical exhibition assuming the virus doesn’t get out of control again to the point of widespread lockdowns. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"