24: Legacy

Kaleb

2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion
Reaction score
24 Spinoff at Fox Would Revolve Around a New Male Character

Jack Bauer is passing the torch stopwatch.

Fox is developing a 24 spinoff that would revolve around a new twentysomething male terrorist hunter, but the intention would be for Kiefer Sutherland‘s Jack to weave in and out as a guest star, franchise overlord Howard Gordon confirmed to TVLine Sunday at the Critics Choice Television Awards.

Last edited:
Not sure if the show would be the same without him. Sutherland/Bauer are so intertwined with the show's name that I don't think you would get a lot of fans back.

Meh, the 24 concept got the show off the ground but it's huge success and enduring popularity is down to Jack Bauer, you can't replace him.

Should've kept Kate as the main character. She was great in LAD. A new male lead is going to pale to Jack in comparison.

No Jack as lead=fail spinoff.......better stick with a female lead Kate Morgan...at least that would be fresh no?

this ain't makin' it for me... 24 and Jack Bauer go hand-in-hand and after 14 years, I'm surprised that Keifer Sutherland doesn't realize that... the ONLY characters that might POSSIBLY pull off a spinoff series would be Kate Morgan and possibly Tony Almeida...

No thank you to this whole thing.

I'll wait and see, but my gut reaction echos everyone else's so far. Jack Bauer is 24. If they want to make a new show with a new character, why not just make an original property? There's no need (nor overwhelming desire) for a spin-off.

No Jack Bauer, no 24. Better to just let it die if Bauer's not going to be the main character. I was hoping for a final season with Kiefer and Yvonne. This doesn't sound promising at all.

You can't even weave Jack in and out without first rescuing him. They would first need to do that. Now I would be all for a TV series based off of Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series if they wanted to do something different.

Why not just have Kate Morgan as the main character? That makes much more sense to me. Not only is she a "known" character, but she was awesome in LAD. Plus, it'd be something different, as opposed to another "generic twenty-something year old dude" show.

Yvonne has another show already, so for those saying at least make her the main character, I don't think that was an option either.

If Star Trek could work without Kirk (even after a not particularly great first season and legions of nerds raging about the very notion of TNG), 24 can work without Jack.

Without Jack, just doesnt feel like 24 to me :csad:

If Star Trek could work without Kirk (even after a not particularly great first season and legions of nerds raging about the very notion of TNG), 24 can work without Jack.

I'd argue Star Trek was bigger than just one man, even Kirk. They'd built a whole universe and lore to work with, it was easy to expand upon and explore other angles. 24 is Jack Bauer's story first and foremost, while everything else comes second.

First, Jack Bauer would have to be 'rescued' from his imprisonment in Russia - and I cannot see this happening in only one episode. Could he be so injured in some way after his confinement that someone else is needed to do the hard stuff? Could Jack Bauer become the new man in charge of the operations with Kate Morgan, Chloe and Tony Almeida as the operatives? A new "24" without continuity of character just would not work!

The universe of Star Trek was a bigger pull than a single character. Jack Bauer is 24, it's his story that has kept people hooked, take him out and you just have another spy thriller with a gimmick.

Yeah, Trek had a whole imaginary universe and mythology as its main draw. The "universe" of 24 is basically supposed to be our own...but with Jack Bauer in it. Without Jack, it's nothing.

If you wanna do another action show about fighting terrorists without Jack Bauer, that's fine, just don't pretend it's 24.

Last edited:
Yeah, Trek had a whole imaginary universe and mythology as its main draw. The "universe" of 24 is basically supposed to be our own...but with Jack Bauer in it. Without Jack, it's nothing.

If you wanna do another action show about fighting terrorists without Jack Bauer, that's fine, just don't pretend it's 24.

Exactly, you wouldn't make a James Bond film without James Bond and that is what this would amount to.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/24legacy-reboot-fox-pilot-order-1201680684/
After much talk, Fox is seriously considering bringing back “24” with a formal pilot order for a reboot of the series, titled “24: Legacy,” Variety has learned. The pilot will film this winter.

Kiefer Sutherland’s Jack Bauer character would not be part of the revival series, though Sutherland is attached as an exec producer on the project, which will feature an all-new cast of characters, but will retain “24’s” format of real-time storytelling with split screens and like the original, each episode will represent one hour of an eventful day.

“24: Legacy” will revolve around a military hero’s return to the U.S. and the trouble that follows him back — compelling him to ask CTU for help in saving his life, and stopping what potentially could be one of the largest-scale terror attacks on American soil.

Along with Sutherland, original “24” producers Howard Gordon, Manny Coto, Evan Katz and Imagine’s Brian Grazer will return as exec producers.

Insiders tell Variety the pilot script for the reboot came in early, before the holidays, and Fox execs immediately were intrigued and realized they had found a way to continue the hit action franchise without Sutherland’s Jack Bauer. While no casting has been announced, sources say a diverse lead is a strong possibility.
Variety is also saying Fox is looking to cast an African-American lead for the new show.

Not sure why the lead always has to be female, black, or Latino when showrunners talk about being diverse. Why couldn't it be Asian/Pacific Islander, Native American, or a foreign-born naturalized American citizen?

Not sure why the lead always has to be female, black, or Latino when showrunners talk about being diverse. Why couldn't it be Asian/Pacific Islander, Native American, or a foreign-born naturalized American citizen?

Asian = white to Hollywood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"