300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE out March 7th 2014

slumcat

Sidekick
Reaction score
MODS: The other thread in Misc. Comics is a graveyard. That entire board is a graveyard. So either move the thread from there on here or keep this one. Afterall even Sin City is here and even Sin City is a Frank Miller graphic novel adaptation.

Found this new interview from Comic Con with Sullivan Stapleton and Eva Green about 300!

Anyone else excited for this? One of my most awaited for 2014. Looks like a superb big screen spectacle.

Last edited:
why does Eva look and sound different ? is this a bodydouble that they had at comiccon? ;)

There seems to be something wrong with her eyes. Her eyeballs look like they are going to pop out of their sockets.

300: Rise of an Empire is based on Frank Miller's new comic XERXES though it is not out yet. But I found this nearly 2.5 years old interview with Miller where he previewed what his new opus would be about. (click to enlarge)

Even though this is very very old, one thing is for sure, the movie is in many ways different from the book.

1. To my knowledge, there are NO gods in the film. Absolutely none.
2. The scene where Leonidas and Themistocles meet is not in the film because Gerard Butler refused to come back. The scene was there in the script and it was offered to Butler but he declined because it was essentially a cameo, so not worth for him to come back.

But there are also many similarities.

1. The hero of the story is Themistocles.
2. The film also reportedly opens with King Darius (father of Xerxes) during his earlier wars.
3. The movie features a scene where Xerxes goes off into the desert and comes back a god king, it was even there in the trailer where he bathes in the pool and rises as the god king.
4. The director Nuom Murro also said that there could be a third part to the story to complete the trilogy.

Great new interview from Comic Con with Santaro, Green and the director. Sullivan Stapleton is strangely missing.

It's taken so long for this movie to come about I've lost interest in it. Had they not sat on it for years and years it might peak my interest more but for now it feels more like a Netflix rental.

Hollywood for all it's remaking, rebooting, sequels and rehashes, can't seem to get its act together on some projects fast enough.

lol, very true. It's amazing how they can fast track certain films but with other like this and The Mask 2 they spend years of development hell. Was this comic already released? Is it going to be complete by the time the movie comes out?

This film took very very very long to reach filming. I think Snyder had delivered the script as early as 2010 and after the global success of 300, sequel talk was always afoot.

Then Miller took too long with his book (it unbelievably is still not out) . Earlier drafts were discarded and it was completely re-written. Initially it was meant to be based entirely in Persia and be solely about Xerxes. That was then discarded and multiple versions were hammered out. One version featured Leonidas but after Butler refused that too was re-written.

Basically development hell for 3-4 years.

It finally shot from May 2012 to November 2012 in Bulgaria and was supposed to be out August this year but apparently the effects were not finished in time. And so it has been pushed again to March 2014.

But I am looking forward to it. Remember they even sat on the first 300. It was finished by August 2006 (IMDB has it as a 2006) and was even shown here and there.

But WB released it in March 2007 and it took the world by storm. I can tell you that in 2007, 300 was indeed a global phenomenon and an extremely popular film and very widely seen.

They are releasing the sequel SEVEN years later. I think many of today's teenagers might not be aware of 300. They should do a re-release in February 2014 and then release this film in March 2014 and they might be able to capture some of the magic of the original 300.

Holy ****! I didn't realize it had been 7 years since the last one.

With Spartacus and the popularity 300 i doubt teens don0t know about the film. Hell, i'm 18 and i know a lot of people who loved the film, but who knows, it's possible most teens from 2014 don't know what 300 is, but they may be drawn into the film due to the style.

I'm 15 and many of my friends have seen 300 or at least know about it.

The reason why the Misc Comics Movies section is dead is because everyone insists on having the hot movies threads in the non-comics forum. If the mods actually stuck to a rule of movies based on comics not published by DC or Marvel going in the proper forum, then more people would likely visit that section.

As far as this movie goes...not interested. I didn't like the first one, and Frank Miller's best days are long behind him.

With Spartacus and the popularity 300 i doubt teens don0t know about the film. Hell, i'm 18 and i know a lot of people who loved the film, but who knows, it's possible most teens from 2014 don't know what 300 is, but they may be drawn into the film due to the style.
300 was ENORMOUS back in the day. It really was a very big deal in 2007. It released in March and sustained its popularity right through the year. And it also became one of the highest selling titles on home video.

Its popularity has faded because new shinier movies have come out, but I hope it can become popular again. I think it is a great film.

I can't wait for this I loved 300 and this one just looks like it's the same even though Snyder isn't directing this.

I was going to say how this is another movie I've forgotten about but scrolling up I already said that in September, the last time we had any details. :o

I can't wait for this I loved 300 and this one just looks like it's the same even though Snyder isn't directing this.
Oh Snyder is very heavily involved by all indications. He's not directing it but this has Snyder's personality to it to a certain extent. I think Snyder would have probably made it the same way.

New poster!

Balj6kBCYAAW7Vj.png:large

I own the first movie and enjoyed it very much, I've watched it several times.

I look forward to the sequel.

ETA: I wonder if there will be any lines as iconic as "This.Is.Sparta!!!!!!!"

Eva Green is on it. That is all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"