• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE out March 7th 2014

Immortals.
I think Immortals looks nothing like 300. 300 looked like a graphic novel sprung to life, Immortals looked like a Renaissance painting sprung to life. Extremely different aesthetics.

STARZ's Spartacus is a closer companion though even that evolved into its own style later on.

I think Immortals looks nothing like 300. 300 looked like a graphic novel sprung to life, Immortals looked like a Renaissance painting sprung to life. Extremely different aesthetics.

STARZ's Spartacus is a closer companion though even that evolved into its own style later on.
I disagree. I think Immortals' aesthetics are so similar that anyone unfamiliar with the film would think it is 300.

Last edited:
You can tell that Immortals was influenced by 300.

It is slightly similar in some of the aesthetics, like some of the slow mo shots and the ripped shirtless male actors and some fighting elements.

But look at the design itself. 300 was truly Spartan, the sets were bare and functional, the production design in Immortals is much more elaborate including Olympus and entire villages and forts and all.

The costume design too was truly Spartan in 300, the actors were almost bare, Immortals has elaborately designed costumes that are very ostentatious.

The color palette might look similar on first blush, a golden hue, but Immortals has a more subdued color palette and is much darker looking, in 300 the colors were more saturated and vivid. 300 also employed the CRUSH to really pump up the contrast which was not done in Immortals.

And even the staging aesthetic, scenes were staged with great energy in 300, Immortals is more lugubrious. The cutting was pulse-pounding in 300, it is more measured in Immortals.

On first blush, from the trailers and all they might look similar, but watch the films themselves and look below the surface and they are extremely different, in content and tone and definitely in aesthetic.

Hell both Snyder and Tarsem would disagree that their films are similar to each other.

Singh was going for a look that remiscent of a Caravaggio's paintings and it showed, it do not just copy and paste 300's aesthetic.

I guess I was looking at it more from the general audience's perspective. So yes, I agree that by analyzing the film in-depth there are certainly differences, but not major ones that the average moviegoer would immediately recognize IMO.

Last edited:
Singh was going for a look that remiscent of a Caravaggio's paintings and it showed, it do not just copy and paste 300's aesthetic.

300 ROAE should have inspiration from the first, but the director should use some of his own tricks and visuals to keep it fresh.

Good example is the Friday/NOES films. Even though a good chunk of them are really cheesy, the fact that every film has a different director (usually) makes every film a different chapter in the mythos.

The movie IS BASED on a graphic novel, so have fun with it instead of fully copying the first. But by the look of things, this film has a semi-different feel to it, but that could be due to lack of returning characters.

I guess I was looking at it more from the general audience's perspective. So yes, I agree that by analyzing the film in-depth there are certainly differences, but not major ones that the average moviegoer would immediately recognize IMO.
I think the differences are extremely noticeable that if someone watches both films, he would say that they look different.

New posters

1525049_10153640939175472_99358903_n.jpg

1525421_10153637765750472_622783059_n.jpg

1512735_10153634570730472_2092225564_n.jpg

1468577_10153631429065472_1844900906_n.jpg

1520781_10153628120245472_839338960_n.jpg

You're thinking of it too literally. But the influence was there, based on concept. If 300 did not exist, then Immortals wouldn't exist either. The whole Caravaggio aeastic was just superfluous stuff during the press junket. To throw out there, 'Hey we have some great ideas for the movie'.

Just like if Star Wars didn't exist, Battlestar Galatica, Battle Beyond the Stars, The Last Starfighter and Kull wouldn't either.

I think there is a difference between being an influence and 'riding the coattails'.

Star Wars was influenced by Kurosawa and pulpy serials but was able to create it's own identity. Legend of Zelda was influenced by Ridley Scott's Legend but it too created its own identity.

Immortals was enjoyable but it didn't do enough to create it's own 'thing'.

I'm surprised to see Eva Green in this movie, but she does pick movies that seemed to be varied and unpredictable. I hope it means the movie isn't as bad as it looks.

I hope it's incredible and have high hopes for this film.

You're thinking of it too literally. But the influence was there, based on concept. If 300 did not exist, then Immortals wouldn't exist either. The whole Caravaggio aeastic was just superfluous stuff during the press junket. To throw out there, 'Hey we have some great ideas for the movie'.

I'm not disagreeing, without 300 there wouldn't be Immortals, at least not the version we got, the studio wants it to be a 300 success, there's even same producers in both films and the marketing wasnt' shy to show it, the difference it has is not enough to make up for its similarities.

I wasn't fully sold by this until I saw the trailer in the theater the other night and now I'm getting somewhat excited for it. Sometimes it just takes the large screen and good sound system to properly represent a trailer to me.

I wasn't fully sold by this until I saw the trailer in the theater the other night and now I'm getting somewhat excited for it. Sometimes it just takes the large screen and good sound system to properly represent a trailer to me.
Exactly! I saw it today in front of Hobbit and am very pleased to say that it looked grainy and slightly muddy to me just like the original - a look I actually love! The trailers for this in HD on your computer looking spiky clean and animated, but a cinema screen lent it that special something where it become a real movie and came alive.

I think it will at the least be a visually jaw dropping experience in the theater. If there's folks here who haven't seen 300 on the big screen, I can tell you it looked monumental - strange and insanely thrilling in every moment of it excess.

I'm surprised to see Eva Green in this movie, but she does pick movies that seemed to be varied and unpredictable. I hope it means the movie isn't as bad as it looks.
She was in Dark Shadows and she's in Sin City 2, so I'm not surprised to see her here. Even if the movie is crap overall, I'm pretty sure that her performance will at least be good. She's been in crappy movies before, but she's usually one of the best things in those movies.

It looks like these bros don't work legs, chicken legs bro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"