31 Nights of Halloween: 2021 Edition

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by DarthSkywalker, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

31 Nights of Halloween 2021:

1.Wrong Turn - The Foundation
    2.Awaken The Shadowman
    3.The Elf
    4.Saint(Sint)
    5.Killer Klowns from Outer Space
    6.Sleepy Hollow

Another "classic" Halloween movie.
    You cant go wrong at least visualy with a Tim Burton movie for halloween, that man knows how to get that feeling across in terms of its visuals.
    And the Headless Horseman is simply a one of those characters that screams halloween.
    Its one of my favorite Halloween movies, and this year i decided to include it in my Marathon.

DarthSkywalker and CaptainWagner like this.
  2. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    V/H/S/94

A great return to form to the VHS franchise after Viral failed to live up to the first two. There isn't one bad short in here except for the lame wraparound/frame narrative segment which seems constant throughout all the VHS films.

Storm Drain has a great hook where you follow a reporter trying to get her story highlight the homeless issue that'll get her name out there. I really enjoyed how Chloe Okuno directed it and Anna Hopkins did a great job with her performance.

The Empty Wake has a very simple concept about strange happenings in a funeral home during a wake and where it goes is really interesting and some really well done effects. Simon Barrett shockingly directed this one after the kinda lame frame narrative segment from V/H/S/2.

The Subject is batsh** insane in all the right ways and my guy Timo Tjahjanto, who can't do anything wrong at this point, really wanted to make a Robocop meets Resident Evil/Silent Hill movie. The action and gore in this is insane and it rivals his Safe Haven segment from V/H/S/2. This segment makes you want Hollywood to get him to do a big budget video game adaptation and it's worth checking out this anthology film for this part alone.

Terror is the last of the main segments and it's the one that keeps you guessing the most. Ryan Prows pretty much made a found footage movie that centers on a white supremacist militia in 94 where you follow them planning something horrific. Don't wanna give away much about how this ends, but all I have to say it's sweet karma.

Overall, I loved it. It's probably the strongest set of shorts out of the series of them despite the wraparound being lackluster again.
    4/5

31 Day Horror Marathon 2021
    Day 1 | Malignant (4/5) (REWATCH)
    Day 2 | Bingo Hell (3.5/5)
    Day 3 | Black as Night (3/5)
    Day 4 | Demonic (2021) (2/5)
    Day 5 | A Classic Horror Story (4/5)
    Day 6 | V/H/S/94 (4/5)

3. cabel Registered

Rob Zombie’s Halloween 2
    (First time)
    I don’t have any in depth thoughts. It continues what I liked about the first and cuts down what I didn’t like. This time is a better realized movie cause Zombie is doing his own thing rather than anchor himself to the original.

Overall Zombie made a solid pair of slashers that would be better liked if they were called anything other than Halloween.

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  4. Broseph44 Witness Me

I am very much looking forward to seeing this one. Love VHS 1&2. Glad this seems to be a return to form after Viral.

DarthSkywalker and Kane52630 like this.
  5. cabel Registered

Body Bags

A fun time. 7/10

Wes Craven’s Shocker

Was this supposed to be a comedy? Cause it’s freaking hilarious. 6/10

Mani-Man and DarthSkywalker like this.
  6. Snow Queen 4AF (she/her)

Wow, cool gifs, where'd you get them? :o

Kane52630 and DarthSkywalker like this.
  7. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

Night 6

13. The Boy Behind the Door (New)
    [​IMG]

Fun Size Review: This is a very tense movie for 30 minutes. And then it keeps going and going and going. It's contained to a rather small house, leading to a lot of repetition. If they cut 20-30 minutest from this, I think it might have been great. Instead it just ended up being pretty good.

14. Maniac Cop (New)
    [​IMG]

Fun Size Review: This one is interesting. I had heard a lot of about it over the years. Maybe that set me up to be disappointed. Still, it definitely has something. I find it most enjoyable at it's most ridiculous. Just needed more of it for me.

15. Host
    [​IMG]

Fun Size Review: A modern classic, born from the limitation of the pandemic. Under an hour and perfectly paced, Host feels like what a lot of found footage movies have been looking for, but never quite achieved. It feels real, and thus far scarier the most.

16. Haunt (New)
    [​IMG]

Fun Size Review: This was a random pick, that turned out great. I don't know what I expected here, but it wasn't what I got. A fun take on extreme haunted houses that itself is very understated a lot of the time, this movie doesn't do anything special. Instead it just does everything right, including a lead I can root for, fun kills, and villains who understand when to shut up.

Mani-Man likes this.
  8. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

2.Awaken The Shadowman
    3.The Elf
    4.Saint(Sint)
    6.Sleepy Hollow
    7.The Cleaning Lady

That was a surprisingly entertaining movie i have to say.
    At first i was super upset because the nice Cover promised a Slasher with a Female killer who is dressed like a cleaning lady...which the movie really isnt.
    Its more a Thriller, but i found it quite good at that and my displeasure turned around pretty soon.
    No doubt, i would have loved this to be one of the few female masked killer movies, but it worked for me as something different too.
    Late the Horror aspect starts to grow, but in its core it is a Thriller first and foremost with good ideas.

9. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

[​IMG]

DarthSkywalker and Snow Queen like this.
  10. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

[​IMG]
    The Boy Behind the Door

At the Movies with Kane and BN
    3/5

Day 6 | V/H/S/94 (4/5)
    Day 7 | The Boy Behind the Door (3/5)

11. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

[​IMG]
    Madres

3/5

Day 6 | V/H/S/94 (4/5)
    Day 8 | Madres (3/5)

12. Asr Registered

1. 30 Days of Night (7/10)
    2. Ghoulies (1/10), and Ghoulies II (3/10)
    3. Malignant (7/10)
    4. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (7/10)
    5. The Quiet Ones (4/10)
    6. The Witches [1990] (6/10)

This was a decently-made movie I guess, but honestly couldn't get into it much. Just felt too "kiddie" and campy for me. The make-up effects on Anjelica Huston were great though, as was the musical score.

7. The Amityville Horror [1979] (5/10)

I'd heard a lot about this one before and had certain expectations going in, especially since I'd seen the 2005 remake with Ryan Reynolds (a few years after it came out). Kinda have to say that while it was creepy at certain moments, overall it wasn't really that good. There was definitely some overacting, and it kinda came across as a bit campy too. I think I prefer the 2005 remake (which I'd probably rate 7/10) - it had a better tone and cinematography.

8. Spawn [6/10]

Not really sure if this counts as an October movie, but I saw it anyway because I hadn't seen it before. Dang this movie was so 90s, from the visuals to the music and everything else in it. It was decently entertaining for what it was, but could've been a darker and more serious/dramatic movie. Also, Spawn's CGI cape was ridiculous in the best & worst way at the same time.

#87 Asr, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    Mani-Man and DarthSkywalker like this.
  13. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

2.Awaken The Shadowman
    3.The Elf
    4.Saint(Sint)
    6.Sleepy Hollow
    7.The Cleaning Lady
    8.Charlie's Farm

Surprisingly good Australian Horror Slasher.
    The Australian arent that bad at horror, boar, wolf creek...now this.
    Its a rather simple movie, follows the simplest story.

A Mentally handicaped young boy whos parents are murderers and canibals who kill tourists, sees his parents killed and flees into the wild where he grows up to be huge and scary.
    Cue to our "Heroes" aka unlikeable *******s you cant wait to see getting killed, who visit his place and all that.
    You know the drill, Jason Vorhees kind of backstory.

Charlie has a good look, the atmosphere is great, the effects are quite nice...all well.
    Acting is bad...well what do you expect when your main Star is Tara Reid?
    Anyway, the biggest problem is that the final act feels like they didnt had any ideas anymore.
    Nothing really special happens...outside of Kane Hodder who also has a role, having a far too long fistfight with Charlie who is looking way to weak against Hodder.
    Other than that, its incredible boring, tedious and without a punch in the end.
    Which is a god damn shame because other than the last 30 minutes, i found the movie well done.

14. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

Night 7

17.Mayhem (New)
    [​IMG]

Fun Size Review: So I saw Steven Yeun's face on Shudder, and gave this a try. Did not know the Scream Queen herself, Samara Weaving, was in it. Loved this. It has all the ingredients to be boring and annoying, but instead it strikes the right balance of campy fun, with a groovy soundtrack, and a pair of great performances from the two leads.

Mani-Man and Snow Queen like this.
  15. cabel Registered

Dementia 13 (6/10)

16. Sithborg Registered

Well, way late, lets see how far I can go.

Night 1

1. Gremlins

Good fun Amblin horror. Good reminder of why the Child is Gizmo, not Grogu. Fun story. The puppet work of Gizmo and the Gremlins was great. Funny seeing Frank Welker and Peter Cullen as voice actors in this.

2. Gremlins 2

Gremlins double feature. More comedy than horror, I still had a blast with the stupid movie. Besides, John Glover, Robert Picardo, and Christopher Lee are so fun in the movie. Love that the Gremlins are more individual. A bit disappointed in them moving away from the puppet work in some spots. Not a great movie, but I was entertained. Especially by the electronic voice of the building.

17. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

Isn't Samara kind of the opposite of a Scream Queen, though, at least going off of her debut performance?

18. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

[​IMG]
    Lamb

Mary had a little unholy abomination.

4/5

Day 6 | V/H/S/94 (4/5)
    Day 8 | Madres (3/5)
    Day 9 | Lamb (4/5)

19. Asr Registered

1. 30 Days of Night (7/10)
    2. Ghoulies (1/10), and Ghoulies II (3/10)
    3. Malignant (7/10)
    4. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (7/10)
    5. The Quiet Ones (4/10)
    6. The Witches [1990] (6/10)
    7. The Amityville Horror [1979] (5/10)
    8. Spawn [6/10]
    9. The Evil Dead [1981] (8/10)

As my first foray into Sam Raimi's early work (to be honest the first movie I saw of his was Spider-Man, and then I saw a few of his 1990-2000 movies after the Spider-Man trilogy came out), I found this to be pretty well-done despite the obvious low budget. Very effective creepy atmosphere with lots of appropriately disgusting practical effects, and actually still pretty scary in certain scenes too.

Looking forward to seeing the next movie in this trilogy tomorrow night.

20. Sithborg Registered

Night 2

I determined Sat to be kaiju movie night, so since I finished the Showa movies before GvK, I decided to continue my Godzilla journey.

3. Return of Godzilla

Nope, can't call it 1984, which is lost to the fires of copyright hell. So, can't watch Mr. Martin. Still, pretty good movie. A little weird how Japan had masers and Super X ready, but whatever. The dub of this on the Kraken release is weird. The russian accents are hilarious.

4. Godzilla vs Biolante

One of my favorite Godzilla movies. The spy action combined with the soundtrack is pretty entertaining for the human section. And we meet Miki, the first real reoccuring character. Plus, I have really come to love Biolante's design, and not just because I finally have her very impressive Monsterart figure.

5. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah

This is a bizarre movie. It goes from Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind to Back to the Future to Terminator to Space Mutiny. And most of that is before Godzilla even shows up. Godzilla shockingly doesn't show up to late in the movie, which is kind of weird. And there is some confusion to me about some of the message. I'm not entirely sure it is as critical of Japan as some think. But whatever, I get Mecha-King Ghidorah, who I kind of love. Plus, some of the most hilarious super speed on film.

21. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

2.Awaken The Shadowman
    3.The Elf
    4.Saint(Sint)
    6.Sleepy Hollow
    7.The Cleaning Lady
    8.Charlie's Farm
    9.Husk

15 minutes into, i realized suddenly that i had watched the movie before.
    I cant understand how i could forget about this movie.
    Its doesnt nothing outstanding with the idea or in general, but what it does is absolutely great.
    One of those movies you can throw in on a lazy weekend when you are in the mood for Horror.
    Its one of the few horror movies that use a Scarecrow for its scare, and it does it well...so double points for that.
    Underused theme and entertaining, what more do you want? Nothing i say.

22. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

1. The House on Haunted Hill (1999) - 2/5
    2. Fright Night (2011) - 3/5
    3. Scream - 4.5/5
    4. Scream 2
    - 4/5
    5. Scream 3 -
    2.5/5
    6. Young Frankenstein
    4.5/5 (Prime)
    7. You're Next 3/5 (Hulu)
    8. The Resort 0.5/5 (Hulu)

9. Sleepy Hollow (DVD)
    [​IMG]

One of my annual Halloween viewings. Usually the first movie of October for me, but I held off to watch with friends who hadn't seen it before. I HATE that 5-second, completely unnecessary CGI jump scare, because other than that I'd probably give it a perfect score. Pure distilled October right here, folks. 4.5/5

10. Malignant - HBO (Left Oct. 10th)
    [​IMG]

So the first time I tried to watch this, it was with friends after a long day at work AND reluctantly going - already exhausted - out on the town with them beforehand. I passed out after the opening scene and woke up during the climax EXTREMELY confused. And now I finally know what happened in between - boring cops, an annoying sister and inconsistent logic. BUT James Wan directed the **** out of this, Gabriel was a great monster and I've got to give WB props for letting something this insane get made. 3/5

11. House Of Wax (2005) - HBO

[​IMG]
    Was really surprised by this one. I was torn on how to rate it, because the "normal" scenes are really, REALLY bad. But the horror is extremely well done. The Sinclair Twins are very well-acted, effective killers and Chad Michael Murray makes a surprisingly convincing bad***. I'm honestly shocked he didn't get more action success after this during the era of Generic 2000s Action Pretty Boys. 3/5

12. Muppets Haunted Mansion (Disney+)
    [​IMG]
    I love that Gonzo and Pepe get to be the leads here. I love how great of a Vincent Pryce-type Will Arnett turned out to be. I love 'Dancing In The Moonlight.' I hate how short it is. Hopefully it's successful enough for Disney to invest more in the Muppets going forward. 3.5/5

13. The Fog (Prime)
    [​IMG]
    Solid work from Carpenter, as always, but the actual horror comes and goes too quickly to really leave a lasting impression, and with so little real impact, the allegory doesn't really hit home. But with Genocidal Italian Idiot Day tomorrow, the theme is still quite prescient. 3/5

Asr, NDX, Nardz937 and 3 others like this.
  23. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

Night 8

18. La Llorona (New)
    [​IMG]

Fun Size Review: How sad is it this came out the same time, and as a much worse movie about the myth of the weeping lady? Still, this is great. So much mood, with the right kind of story to make what could be an overly basic flick, feel fresh.

19. The Color Out of Space (New)
    [​IMG]

Fun Size Review: This is a good movie. At times, a very good movie. It has all the body horror you expect from a HP Racist tale. And of course Cage chews up all the scenery. But I can't help but compare it to Annihilation. Not just because it's the same basic tale, but because the visuals and music are clearly inspired by Garland's modern classic. And because of that, it just can't measure up. Still a good time though.

20. Chopping Mall
    [​IMG]

Fun Size Review: It's Chopping Mall. Just watch it. No, seriously, just watch it. You won't regret it.

NDX, CaptainWagner, Nardz937 and 2 others like this.
  24. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

I always thought a Scream Queen was just someone who was in a lot of horror flicks. Did I get that completely wrong?

Does MUPPET"S HAUNTED MANSION count as a film? Either way, I loved it, and like you wished it was longer. I feel like every thing we get for the Muppets, has to be scratched and clawed for. So I guess I just sit back and enjoy.

CaptainWagner and Snow Queen like this.
  25. Snow Queen 4AF (she/her)

I had a great time with Muppet's Haunted Mansion, but yeah, wish it could have been longer.

CaptainWagner likes this.