31 Nights of Halloween: 2021 Edition

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by DarthSkywalker, Oct 1, 2021.

1. DarthSkywalker DK is always right. (he/his)

Night 9

21. Slaxx (New)
    [​IMG]

Fun Size Review: A movie about killer pants with such an adorable lead, shouldn't depress me. But Slaxx wanted to prove that theory wrong. A well crafted horror comedy, that gets randomly deep during it's third act. It's all good, very good imo, but it was not what I was expecting.

22. Re-Animator (New)
    [​IMG]

Fun Size Review: Horror comedy is rather tricky. There is so much to balance, but most of the time I feel like the biggest issue, is the movie not taking itself seriously. That isn't an issue here. The movie fully believes in it's premise and plays it straight, from it's gore to it's comedy. It leads too exceedingly good results.

23. House of the Devil
    [​IMG]

Fun Size Review: House of the Devil is a great throwback. It properly feels like it is from the 70s, from it's look to it's pace. It's big "twist" is also handled perfectly imo. It's biggest issue is the text at the start, giving the game away. For a film with such great build, it feels almost like a capital offence to place it at the start. If you haven't watched it, I suggest not reading. Outside of that though, this is money.

Mani-Man, Asr, NDX and 3 others like this.
  2. cabel Registered

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark 7/10
    Halloween 9/10
    Halloween ‘18 9/10

3. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

I could be wrong, I guess I'd always equivocated it with "Final Girl," but your version makes more sense, since "Final Girl" is already its own thing.

"You count this as a movie?" - Statler to Waldorf, probably.

I counted it, but I also didn't realize it wasn't even a full hour long until suddenly it was over. But hey, who's makin' the rules here anyway?

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  4. Sithborg Live long and prosper... SIR

Night 3

Or the night I really came to hate the cablization of streaming. Okay, having to search different sites for a series is fine. But when the series is split among different sites... :argh::argh::argh:

6. Underworld

Still a fun movie. The creature makeup is still amazing. The aesthetic is perfect. Sadly, not enough Michael Sheen or Bill Nighy. But damn, are they highlights. Action is still fun, with a sort of Matrix meets monsters kind of vibe. I think I also have a soft spot, because Patrick Tatapolous was an early judge on Face Off. Though again, his work is amazing here. Though the vampire fang prosthetics were clearly an issue for some of the actors... Also, surprise Danny McBride script appearance.

7. Underworld Evolution

I think the biggest issue with this movie is removing the action from eastern european cities, to rather bland woods and sets. It kills a lot of the aesthetic the first movie had going on. The makeup is still A+++, with Marcus being an amazing design. Sadly, no Bill Nighy (outside of the opener) or Michael Sheen. Tony Curran tries, bless his soul, but he is not Bill Nighy. And Datak Tar is still 7 years away. The script could have helped fleshing Marcus and what he was trying to do and what happened to him a bit more. I still had fun with it. Being affected by Kate Beckinsale in leather may or may not be a factor.

8. Underworld Rise of the Lycans

Oh yeah, a movie all about Bill Nighy and Michael Sheen. So much of this movies success is carried by Michael Sheen. Such a great performance. Bill Nighy is no slouch, sure, but the main focus is on Lucien, who is just great in this. Rhona Mitra was spot on casting for the comparison of Sonja and Selene. Still great use of Tatapolous's make up. And I do love the medieval setting, with some wonderful costumes and the castle feeling a bit more natural than in Evolution. Kind of wish there was a sequel prequel that lead to the Kraven/Lucien team up in 1.

5. NDX Luke... I am... tired.

01. Night of the Living Dead ('68)
    02. Dawn of the Dead: The Argento Cut ('78)
    03. Day of the Dead ('85)
    04. Land of the Dead

Land will always be a favorite of mine but parts of it doesn't hold up anymore, especially on bluray. But I'll always be a fan of Big Daddy and Savini bringing his biker character back for a brief scene as Machete Zombie. The only Machete I'll accept not played by Danny Trejo.

Okay, I should be able to get back on track tonight.

6. Kane52630 DCAU BAT USER

[​IMG]

Mani-Man, NDX, CaptainWagner and 3 others like this.
  7. Broseph44 Witness Me

Now is the time, this is the hour. Ours is the magic, ours is the power.

A 90’s classic led by these 4 beautiful women.

[​IMG]

#107 Broseph44, Oct 11, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    DarthSkywalker, Mani-Man and NDX like this.
  8. -Arya- In Dreams I Walk With You

Watched most of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, skipped around a lot and will finish 2 and 6 later.

Nightmare 1 - 8/10
    Nightmare 3 - 6/10
    Nightmare 4 - 4/10
    Nightmare 5 - 4/10
    New Nightmare - 8/10

DarthSkywalker and Mani-Man like this.
  9. Kane52630 DCAU BAT USER

[​IMG]
    The Manor

At the Movies with Kane and BN
    1.5/5

31 Day Horror Marathon 2021
    Day 1 | Malignant (4/5) (REWATCH)
    Day 2 | Bingo Hell (3.5/5)
    Day 3 | Black as Night (3/5)
    Day 4 | Demonic (2021) (2/5)
    Day 5 | A Classic Horror Story (4/5)
    Day 6 | V/H/S/94 (4/5)
    Day 7 | The Boy Behind the Door (3/5)
    Day 8 | Madres (3/5)
    Day 9 | Lamb (4/5)
    Day 10 | The Manor (1.5/5)

DarthSkywalker and Mani-Man like this.
  10. Mani-Man Registered

31 Nights of Halloween 2021:

1.Wrong Turn - The Foundation
    2.Awaken The Shadowman
    3.The Elf
    4.Saint(Sint)
    5.Killer Klowns from Outer Space
    6.Sleepy Hollow
    7.The Cleaning Lady
    8.Charlie's Farm
    9.Husk
    10.Blood Creek

Night 10 and i ended up with a movie i again saw before, but forgot about.
    The Concept is a bit weird, but works.

"In 1936, a German professor, Richard Wirth, is hosted by the Wollners, a family of German emigrants in West Virginia. The Wollners believe him to be a visiting scholar, but Wirth turns out to be a Nazi occultist who seeks a Viking runestone buried on their property. When Wirth reveals he wants to use it for evil, he is interrupted by the family, who trap him in their basement and bind him through a ritual that requires frequent human sacrifices. Linked to Wirth, the family survive through the decades, operating as both captors and servants to Wirth, who they keep weakened."

At times the movie is too long and tedious, sometimes way too dark visual...but in general its a nice movie.

11. NDX Luke... I am... tired.

If y'all collect flicks on disc I highly suggest the Video Vestron release on BD. They did the movie justice there.

Quick edit, that goes for all Vestron releases I've watched so far. The first 16 releases were going for some boutique prices when they came out and rightfully so, they put effort into the upscaling of films and many of the extras, even if some of the flicks they chose were atrocious. Their more recent releases have been thankfully cheaper but still high quality, like the Wraith.

#111 NDX, Oct 11, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  12. Asr Registered

1. 30 Days of Night (7/10)
    2. Ghoulies (1/10), and Ghoulies II (3/10)
    3. Malignant (7/10)
    4. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (7/10)
    5. The Quiet Ones (4/10)
    6. The Witches [1990] (6/10)
    7. The Amityville Horror [1979] (5/10)
    8. Spawn [6/10]
    9. The Evil Dead [1981] (8/10)
    10. The Evil Dead II (8/10)

Pretty much more of the same as the original, eh? Was still pretty entertaining, especially with the added campiness (including from the stop-motion animation). Although you could kinda tell here that Sam Raimi really has a taste for the overdramatic.

11. Army of Darkness (6/10)

Wow this really went off the rails from the previous two. Still not quite sure what to make of it, as I didn't really like it as much as the first two. Too much humor & absurdity in this one for me.

DarthSkywalker, Sithborg and Mani-Man like this.
  13. Kane52630 DCAU BAT USER

[​IMG]
    Ghost of Mars

At the Movies with Kane and BN
    2/5

31 Day Horror Marathon 2021
    Day 1 | Malignant (4/5) (REWATCH)
    Day 2 | Bingo Hell (3.5/5)
    Day 3 | Black as Night (3/5)
    Day 4 | Demonic (2021) (2/5)
    Day 5 | A Classic Horror Story (4/5)
    Day 6 | V/H/S/94 (4/5)
    Day 7 | The Boy Behind the Door (3/5)
    Day 8 | Madres (3/5)
    Day 9 | Lamb (4/5)
    Day 10 | The Manor (1.5/5)
    Day 11 | Ghost of Mars (2/5)

14. Kane52630 DCAU BAT USER

I had to gif this right when I was done. :funny:

[​IMG]

15. Mani-Man Registered

2.Awaken The Shadowman
    3.The Elf
    4.Saint(Sint)
    6.Sleepy Hollow
    7.The Cleaning Lady
    8.Charlie's Farm
    9.Husk
    10.Blood Creek
    11.Slender Man

Eh, visual it has its moments...but other than that, i found it rather boring.
    Is there any good "creepypasta" movie out there?
    I feel like i cant appreciate this movie enough because i was around when the whole hype happened and therefore i cant got into this with fresh eyes that dont know about the material.

16. cabel Registered

The Blob (1988) 8/10
    A solid retelling of the original with some added twists. While the cast is kinda forgettable, the stellar practical effects elevate this picture to another level.

DarthSkywalker and NDX like this.
  17. DarthSkywalker DK is always right. (he/his)

Night 10

24. The Room (New)
    [​IMG]

Fun Size Review: One guess why I watched this one... Okay, you got me. But this turned out to be much better then I was expecting. A good concept, decent atmosphere, strong performances from the leads, and a creepy/hilarious finale, makes this one a rather good time.

25. Body Bags (New)
    [​IMG]

Fun Size Review: My brother would love to give a big shout out to our @Kane52630 for this recommendation. He's been looking for some good anthologies, and this fit the bill perfectly. The right kind of horror comedy, this is the perfect midnight double feature. My personal favorite tale was Hair, but I thought they all worked well. Also Luke Skywalker as the smallest baseball player was the perfect surprise.

26. Deathgasm (New)
    [​IMG]

Fun Size Review: The gif above is why I wanted to watch this. It was a good decision. If you are musically inclined you will probably get more out of this, like my brother did. Clearly inspired by all the classic horror comedies, the worst thing I can say about this is it does feel like it loses itself for a bit during the second act, but overall is worth a look.

27. V/H/S/94 (New)

[​IMG]

Fun Size Review: This was my first V/H/S/. I did not know what to expect, but I enjoyed this quite a lot. Shifting from goofy fun, a raunchy mess and downright scary, it strikes a very specific tone. The worst thing here is the Robosoldier segment. Imo, it goes on a good 5 minutes to long. Still, only a minor issue.

28. Muppets' Haunted Mansion (New)

[​IMG]

Fun Size Review: With so little new Muppets' content out there, every new bit feels like a blessing. This was no different. A little on the short side, every moment of this (outside of a John Stamos cameo), is pure Muppets fun. Disney really should consider new Muppets specials every year. 3-4 would be amazing.

#117 DarthSkywalker, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  18. Kane52630 DCAU BAT USER

If you're gonna check out the others, just make sure you skip VHS Viral.

Broseph44 and DarthSkywalker like this.
  19. DarthSkywalker DK is always right. (he/his)

Night 11

29. Psycho Goreman
    [​IMG]

Fun Size Review: Who knew that in a world of galactic demons, angels, witches and superheroes, the most frightening being was a little girl? This film is utter perfection. Smart, fresh and funny, PG has a style and sense of humor all it's own.

30. Mandy

[​IMG]

Fun Size Review: Mandy isn't a film, it's a mood. The first time I watched this, after the first 30 minutes, I couldn't tell if I liked it or not. That doubt was gone by the end. This is Cage at his best, with the direction, soundtrack and script to back him up. Just don't rip his shirt.

31. Sleepaway Camp (New)
    [​IMG]

Fun Size Review: So I had no idea what to expect here. Just that it was considered a cult classic. After watching it, I am not sure why. It's okay I guess. Up to it's ridiculous ending, that I honestly have no idea how to feel about. The best part of this movie is the crazy mom. Who is in only two scenes, but is utterly captivating.

20. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

@DarthSkywalker, it's the twist ending that makes it a cult classic. It's Friday the 13th with what was for the time a shocking reveal.

21. DarthSkywalker DK is always right. (he/his)

Yeah well that ending is very... yeah.

Snow Queen likes this.
  22. Kane52630 DCAU BAT USER

23. Broseph44 Witness Me

@DarthSkywalker glad to hear you enjoyed Body Bags, great anthology. And yeah definitely check out VHS 1&2. :up: Also if you’re taking suggestions you should watch It Follows. If you haven’t seen it already.

#123 Broseph44, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  24. NDX Luke... I am... tired.

01. Night of the Living Dead ('68)
    02. Dawn of the Dead: The Argento Cut ('78)
    03. Day of the Dead ('85)
    04. Land of the Dead
    05. Day of the Dead ('04)

Watching the Andy featurette on the BD. It's a nice little addition to the flick.

25. Mani-Man Registered

2.Awaken The Shadowman
    3.The Elf
    4.Saint(Sint)
    6.Sleepy Hollow
    7.The Cleaning Lady
    8.Charlie's Farm
    9.Husk
    10.Blood Creek
    11.Slender Man
    12.Smiley

*sighs* I think i hate it the most when Movies have potential but waste it.
    This is one of those.
    The Mask of that Smiley killer is pretty neat and the basic idea too, but everything else is just bad.
    Really, outside of the Mask and the idea, nothing memorable is happening in the movie.