31 Nights of Halloween...

ceb37ba231724e035aac35de3ce513df80799945.gifv

Halloween III: Season of the Witch

A personal all time favorite of mine and a must watch every October. To me, Halloween III a criminally underrated horror film that (for obvious reasons) doesn't get the respect it deserves. Not to mention, this has some of the best horror music that's right up there with the original Halloween.
10/10

31 Day Horror Marathon 2019
Day 1 | In Fabric (9/10)
Day 2 | The Dead Don't Die (7.5/10)
Day 3 | Polaroid (6.5/10)
Day 4 | In The Tall Grass (7.5/10)
Day 5 | Haunt (9/10)
Day 6 | I Trapped The Devil (6.5/10)
Day 7 | Nightmare Cinema (7/10)
Day 8 | The Wind (7.5/10)
Day 9 | Wrinkles The Clown (8/10)
Day 10 | The Hole in the Ground (8/10)
Day 11 | Little Monsters (7.5/10)
Day 12 | Our House (9/10)
Day 13 | Satanic Panic (6/10)
Day 14 | 3 From Hell (6/10)
Day 15 | Carnival of Souls (9/10)
Day 16 | The Return of the Living Dead (8.5/10)
Day 17 | Zombieland: Double Tap (6.5/10)
Day 18 | Wounds (8.5/10)
Day 19 | The Thing (1982) (10/10) (REWATCH).
Day 20 | Frankenstein (10/10) (REWATCH).
Day 21 | Bride of Frankenstein (9/10)
Day 22 | Son of Frankenstein (7.5/10)
Day 23 | The Ghost of Frankenstein (8/10)
Day 24 | Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (9/10)
Day 25 | The Lighthouse (10/10)
Day 26 | Countdown (6/10)
Day 27 | The Mist (10/10) (REWATCH).
Day 28 | Hagazussa (7.5/10)
Day 29 | Night of the Living Dead (10/10) (REWATCH).
Day 30 | Halloween III: Season of the Witch (10/10) (REWATCH).

A couple more to close out the night. It's times like this I enjoy being a college student and having a flexible schedule :funny:

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
I always forget Johnny Depp and it's always so weird seeing him look so normal. But I digress, this is a classic for reasons, there's so much to like. A lot of really cool ideas and concepts and a very tension-filled film.
giphy.gif

The Terminator (1984)
This was mostly to prepare myself for seeing Dark Fate tomorrow night. Probably a mistake because this one is so freaking good. I think I'm in the minority of liking this more than T2. The script is just so tight, all the characters are great, Arnie is intimidating af, and the action is raw. Not all the effects hold up so well, but man some much good stuff.
source.gif

I guess I never realized that these two came out the same year until today, but I had to take a look at other films from '84. Talk about a great year for film, a lot of classics.

i always thought both of these were better than their sequels.
a case of less is more.

freddy was legit scary to me in the first NOES, but not in the movies after it.
agreed with all ur points about the first terminator.

Not sure if I'll manage to squeeze another in later after I see Dark Fate, so as of now I'm capping off my October Halloween Marathon with:

Halloween (1978)
My personal favorite horror film, of course, I couldn't not watch it. The thing I like the most about this is how real any of this could be. Someone just breaking into your house and murdering you with basic kitchenware is a personal fear of mine. I love all the moments of Michael just being a straight-up stalker in the beginning. This movie is so simple yet effective.
giphy.gif

Halloween (2009)
Oh lordy... I don't hate this movie completely. I think the exploration of Michael's relationship with Loomis is pretty solid, and that's pretty much the only plus side to the first half of this movie trying to give Michael a backstory. Everything else surrounding his past is about as garbage as his home life was. The second half is basically a remake of the original and it does have great tense moments of Michael just chilling menacingly. I just don't get whoever Rob Zombie in charge of this, let alone give him money to make the heroin trip of a sequel.
SmallDesertedFairybluebird-small.gif

Halloween (2018)
A worthy follow up to the original. Brutal in all the right ways and keeps that same amount of uneasy tension of the first. The character stuff they do with Laurie is fantastic and feels so real. Carpenter's music in the first is iconic and he elevates it even more here. I do think the film has issues with its pacing and does fall victim to having your typical stupid horror moments. Also, the subplot with the Doctor is just strange, not so much in concept but more in execution. Felt like a clunky way to set up the last half-hour. Still a damn good watch.
SafeVelvetyHoopoe-max-1mb.gif

Night 30

67. The Guest (2014) dir. Adam Wingard
5UidOWD.gif

"You did the right thing. I don't blame you."

Thoughts: October 30th is a big deal for me. Almost as big as Halloween itself, as it is the day where I really start getting into holiday favorites, that I really associate with All Hallow's Eve. This one is no exception. I don't want to say this movie is all about Dan Stevens. The directing, editing, music and other performances all play their part. But if I am being honest, this is all about Dan Stevens. He's truly magnetic in this, and while he is a clear villain, I can't help but cheer for him and pray for his survival.

68. The Crow (1994) dir. Alex Proyas
oqbdzpw.gif

"Tell them death is coming for them tonight. Tell them Eric Draven sends his regards."

Thoughts: I don't have any hard evidence that this film was basically the basis for Nolan and Ledger's Joker, but the scene in my gif feels like rather solid evidence imo. As Eric walks into the room, it mirrors the Joker's entrance to meet up with the gangs in TDK to an almost uncanny degree. The Crow is an odd one. It is a delicate film that walks this line of going horribly wrong, while always staying on the right side of it. A lot like Enter the Dragon did for his father, this one shows the natural charisma Brandon had, and we sadly lost too early. I don't think my brother and I will ever forget this movie, and it is kind of cool to watch it every year, and remembering just how many lines have seeped into our regular discourse.

69. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) dir. Tim Burton
pdYzWrK.gif.gif

"I can guarantee the closest shave you'll ever know."

Thoughts: Do you know how my best friend is my best friend? She has sat through this film with me multiple times, even as my awful voice butchers Sondheim's finest collection of songs. I love the bones of this film. It feels like the last gasp of truly great Burton in live action, but what last gasp it is. One of the reasons I think this one works so well is it is all laid out for Burton. He just has to Burton it, and he does. I will never forget the reaction the theater had to Johanna, as the massacre begins. What a delight.

70. The Final Girls (2015) dir. Todd Strauss-Schulson
MO8R9kn.gif

"Today's the anniversary of her death. At least I get to see her. Even if she is being chased by a psycho with a machete."

Thoughts: Confession time. I saw this one for Taissa. What I ended up with was a delightful little take on the genre's most important characters. Yes, it isn't the killers, but the final girls themselves. The ones who truly keep me coming back time and again. This one is no exception. Also, how can a movie with a truly emotional scene of stripping not be worth at least one viewing?

71. The House with a Clock in it's Walls (2018) dir. Eli Roth

L4gvltG.gif

"No, I think I’m smarter than you because I’m smarter than you."

Thoughts: I am a sucker for flicks like this. Those slight too dangerous for kids kid flicks, that have so much crazy energy to them. I never for the life of me thought I'd enjoy this movie as much as I did, but I do. There is a bit too much childish humor, but Cate is her usual wonderful self, and Jack Black plays the perfect role for himself. He's Jack Black acting like Jack Black, while not actually playing Jack Black. Yeah, don't question it.

Has anyone else seen the Suspiria remake? More disturbing than the original, but the script was lacking

I loved it, it's not trying to be like the original, but there's something unnerving about that I liked more in the remake. My only complaint would be the doctor's sideplot.

I loved it, it's not trying to be like the original, but there's something unnerving about that I liked more in the remake. My only complaint would be the doctor's sideplot.
I have been meaning to see it, but with me trying to get as many movies as possible in this month, I think I just ran out of time for something 2 and half hours. But I plan on seeing it next month. Looks a trip.

Thought a GDT double feature might be in order for the last two days of October, so...

Day 30: Crimson Peak - I've had this blu-ray for a bit, but just hadn't gotten around to watching it. Now I wish I'd seen this **** in theaters. What a masterpiece of production design. And Chastain's unraveling was wonderful.

Day 31: The Shape of Water - Again, what production design. Plus, the makeup on Doug Jones? Lordt. The whole dark modern(ish) fairy tale vibe was entirely my jam, too. Like the 21st century's answer to Edward Scissorhands.

Night 31

72. Anna and the Apocalypse (2017) dir. John McPhail
87eKhKR.gif

"Justin Bieber is a zombie!"

Thoughts: Ella Hunt is going to be a star. Of this I have no doubt. This musical isn't the best, and honestly makes some rather odd choices imo. Choices that make me enjoy it less then I usually would. Also if I am honest, the music isn't great. But Hunt more then makes up for it.

73. Halloween (2007) dir. Rob Zombie
miy8Qo7.gif

"This is going to be a long night."

Thoughts: So I am going to be honest. We start this movie about 50 minutes in. During the truck stop scene. Why? Because up to that point this movie is pretty crap, and honestly doesn't get that much better after it. So why do we watch it? Well this one became a tradition about a decade ago, when my little bro saw Scout Taylor Compton in this. After that, every year it was like clock work. It would come on a random channel, and we'd pick it up from the same part every time. Always worth it, as it gets a fantastic reaction out of my little brother. Also I swear Coco stole their design for Miguel from the little boy she is babysitting in this movie.

74. Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) dir. Frank Capra
17IJXQj.gif

"Charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Thoughts: I still remember the first time I stumbled onto this film on TCM randomly well over a decade ago now. I was still coming to grips with the screwball stylings of Cary Grant when I did. The film is one long panic attack, and it is glorious. Even with all it's old school trappings, this flick has a lot of modern energy to it. It's fun, funny, twisty and a breeze to watch, even with it's two hour run time. So much happens that by the end you will be exhausted, but you will also have a smile on your face. A true classic imo.

75. Evil Dead 2 (1987) dir. Sam Raimi
N36pxbn.gif

"Groovy."

Thoughts: It's Evil Dead 2. It might be the greatest horror flick of all time. If you are foolish enough to have gone through your life without seeing it, stop whatever you are doing and watch it. Now!

Along with those (though I technically haven't done Evil Dead 2 yet, always last), I have also re-watched The Shining and Beetlejuice today. Also a lot of television. Treehouse of Horrors, Invader Zim Halloween special, Riverdale's new Halloween episode. Still considering doing either an episode of Hill house, Sabrina or both. Also maybe Annabelle Comes Home again. Because it's awesome.

75 movies, damn. I'm still trying to find time for my 31st one.

And then I gotta start November's marathon.

01. Maniac Cop
02. Maniac Cop 2
03. Maniac Cop 3: Badge of Silence
04. The Funhouse (D)
05. Demons
06. Thir13een Ghosts
07. It Follows
08. Christine
09. Blood Feast
10. Friday the 13th
11. Friday the 13th Part 2
12. Friday the 13th Part VIII Jason Takes Manhattan
13. Zombieland: Double Tap
14. Return of the Living Dead (2002 DVD Soundtrack Verison)
15. Return of the Living Dead Part 2
16. Return of the Living Dead 3
17. Fright Night '85 (D)
18. The Nightmare Before Christmas
19. Curtains (D)
20. Bloodsucking Bastards
21. Beetlejuice
22. 28 Days Later
23. 28 Weeks Later
24. Creepshow
25. The Basement
26. Cannibal Campout
27. Young Frankenstein
28. The Mist (B&W)
29. Monster Man
30. Psycho

31. Trick 'r Treat

Ended on a high note.

Now on to Arnold SchwarzeNovember!

Has anyone else seen the Suspiria remake? More disturbing than the original, but the script was lacking

I'm a huge fan of the original and was incredibly surprised by the new one. I tend to refer to it as a reimagining over being a remake.

As others have said the subplot with the therapist was a bit unnecessary but didn't ruin my enjoyment of the film. I loved how they had more nods to the Three Sisters than the original and that last act was crazy.

0c70352b122a9569fa2a698d815cf6ba755992d1.gifv

Trick 'r Treat

Closing out this years marathon with my favorite movie to watch on Halloween. While John Carpenter's Halloween is a classic that a lot of people watch every Halloween, I believe Trick r Treat is looking to be the new modern classic folks will watch every year for decades to come. There's so many horror anthologies that tries to replicate this movie, but none have actually beaten it. It's so well crafted and put together, you could see this movie 5 times and still see minor story/visual details that you've never seen before. Overall, it's a masterpiece and I still hope they go ahead with Trick r Treat 2.
10/10

31 Day Horror Marathon 2019
Day 1 | In Fabric (9/10)
Day 2 | The Dead Don't Die (7.5/10)
Day 3 | Polaroid (6.5/10)
Day 4 | In The Tall Grass (7.5/10)
Day 5 | Haunt (9/10)
Day 6 | I Trapped The Devil (6.5/10)
Day 7 | Nightmare Cinema (7/10)
Day 8 | The Wind (7.5/10)
Day 9 | Wrinkles The Clown (8/10)
Day 10 | The Hole in the Ground (8/10)
Day 11 | Little Monsters (7.5/10)
Day 12 | Our House (9/10)
Day 13 | Satanic Panic (6/10)
Day 14 | 3 From Hell (6/10)
Day 15 | Carnival of Souls (9/10)
Day 16 | The Return of the Living Dead (8.5/10)
Day 17 | Zombieland: Double Tap (6.5/10)
Day 18 | Wounds (8.5/10)
Day 19 | The Thing (1982) (10/10) (REWATCH).
Day 20 | Frankenstein (10/10) (REWATCH).
Day 21 | Bride of Frankenstein (9/10)
Day 22 | Son of Frankenstein (7.5/10)
Day 23 | The Ghost of Frankenstein (8/10)
Day 24 | Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (9/10)
Day 25 | The Lighthouse (10/10)
Day 26 | Countdown (6/10)
Day 27 | The Mist (10/10) (REWATCH).
Day 28 | Hagazussa (7.5/10)
Day 29 | Night of the Living Dead (10/10) (REWATCH).
Day 30 | Halloween III: Season of the Witch (10/10) (REWATCH).
Day 31 | Trick 'r Treat (10/10) (REWATCH).

The Shallows (2016)

tumblr_od9v5oyhEg1vyvg1co3_540.gifv

Between this and Crawl, I'm hoping that Hollywood keeps providing us with fun creature features featuring adorable animal sidekicks every few years. Visceral and thrilling B-movie that doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Army of Darkness (1993)

tumblr_olsf9tfDxr1ra4318o2_540.gifv

Just as entertaining as it is quotable. My second favorite in the trilogy, with Evil Dead 2 being first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"