400 lb. gorilla escapes at Dutch zoo

Whoa, I bet that was ****ing trippy:o

How the hell do they "know" gorillas can't swim? I'm sure they can learn, just like any other species can.

Gorillas can't swim because they don't have enough fat. It's a scientific fact not an opinion

So, if you're getting chased by a gorilla, find water. Got it.

But, what if the gorilla is wearing those yellow floaties? Then where will you hide?

Sam Beckett swam in water when he was a monkey.

I don't think so, because I swear I've seen a monkey swim once.

Chimps are apes.

Apes tend to be larger, and lack tails. I'm pretty sure humans fall under the "Ape" category.

The, "not enough fat," argument is only semi-valid...especially when you consider that primates are the only animals of the mammals and reptiles that can't swim from birth.

It has more to do with the larger physiology of the animal: namely, primates in general are forward-facing (even though most apes and monkeys walk on all fours...sort of). Unlike most quadrapeds, when they're in the water, their head (specifically the face) will be facing under-water. Thus, the skill of swimming has to be learned in primates...and it can be done.

I'm fairly certain every other higher-animal (besides certain types of birds) possesses the ability from birth. Hell, even rabbits can swim.

If the fat thing was valid Nichole Richie would drown instantly. :woot:

LOL @ this thread :oldrazz: :woot:

STrange seeing dutch news being discussed at the hype .
Anyways the woman that got attacked by the gorilla was hurt pretty bad. Newsreports are saying that her arm was broken in two places and her hand was pretty much crushed.

Sounds like King Kong was having a bad day :o

The, "not enough fat," argument is only semi-valid...especially when you consider that primates are the only animals of the mammals and reptiles that can't swim from birth.

It has more to do with the larger physiology of the animal: namely, primates in general are forward-facing (even though most apes and monkeys walk on all fours...sort of). Unlike most quadrapeds, when they're in the water, their head (specifically the face) will be facing under-water. Thus, the skill of swimming has to be learned in primates...and it can be done.

I'm fairly certain every other higher-animal (besides certain types of birds) possesses the ability from birth. Hell, even rabbits can swim.

Don't tell me, tell the people at the Animal Planet

:huh:

Horses can "swim" . And IMO they're one of those animals with the least amount of fat in their body

It has something to do with fat vs bone vs muscle I believe. Gorillas have incredibly dense muscle and bone, whereas Horses has lighter density in order to support such animals on such thin legs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"