• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Iron Man 7/6/07 - Jon on MySpace, dispels rumors, talks villains, SDCC

the reel chris

Iron Man's detailer
Reaction score
MySpace Group
Jon Favreau

M/40,
CALIFORNIA
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 11:48 AM

Now that the movie is finally wrapped, I can spend a little more time filling you all in. I have been reading as many of your posts as I can and here are responses to your most popular questions:

First of all, as you probably already know, there is not a teaser trailer on the front of Transformers as many of you had hoped and speculated. We are, however, planning to reveal something very cool very soon. This month, in fact. In San Diego. We've secured a prime slot Saturday afternoon in the big room at SDCC. We will split an hour with Marvel and Hulk and plan to cut something together to reward the fans for their interest, support and patience. In addition to our Saturday afternoon presentation, we will be doing a signing and poster giveaway at the Marvel booth on Saturday. Paramount is also doing a rundown of its slate on Thursday which I will do my best to attend as well.

Second of all, you had questions about Iron Monger/Mandarin/Obadiah Stane. My response is read the books. We took certain liberties to keep things fresh and unexpected but we are essentially using the books to inspire our story. Iron Man fans should have no problem piecing together what's what. As far as what villians appear in this movie's storyline, I should reiterate that in the year spent developing our story we decided to treat Iron Man as a first chapter. We cover the origin story and the rise of the hero. It stands alone as a movie, but definitely leaves room for more to be told. Sequels often feel like the story was slapped together in a scramble to exploit a successful franchise. I prefer when stories are mapped out in advance. They feel less repetitive and arbitrary. Additional Iron Man movies are by no means guaranteed but, if we are lucky enough to do more, we will be ready to do them well.

Third. Cameos. I've read that Sam Jackson and Hilary Swank are Shield agents and that I myself play a Vegas security guard. There is no truth to any of these rumors.

(Well, maybe one is true.)

So Jackson isn't Fury? And Favreau playing a security guard was true right?

Thanks chris.
Hmmm....Favreau is trying to play with our minds again or maybe not?:dry:

I'm confident Jackson was going to happen (did happen), but they canned the possible appearance in the movie due to the strong disagreement on both sides... the rumor raised a real storm that Marvel probably didn't want.

We know Swank was there, but we weren't sure who she was; guess she's not Maria Hill. And we do have pics of Jon as a Vegas security guard.

I think the fact that Swank happened to be there started rumours she was in the film and nothing more. I have no idea where the hell the Sam Jackson news came from about him playing Nick Fury, but whoever posted that lost any credibility from here on out.

I'm confident Jackson was going to happen (did happen), but they canned the possible appearance in the movie due to the strong disagreement on both sides... the rumor raised a real storm that Marvel probably didn't want.
I don't understand Favreau and Marvel. The Sam Jackson story has been out there for what 3 weeks now? In his previous myspace update Favreau made no attempt to dispell those rumors then. So why wait so long to say it's false now?:confused: Very strange...

The interest in the movie went sky high when the news broke.It'd be such a bummer if it turns out Jackson isn't playing Fury.:(
whoever posted that lost any credibility from here on out.
^It came from AICN.
I might be mistaken but the director is friendly with webmaster of the site so it's very likely that the Fury/Jackson news originated from him.Just speculation.....

Hmmm...very interesting if the Fury rumor is false. It's very odd that we know so little about this movie and its cast considering it's due out in 10 months, yet we can't go a day without a TDK casting announcement and it's coming out later.

I wonder if Favreau is purposely throwing all this around just so were surprised a little more when we see the film.

I don't think the Fury rumor is false. I think as usual Jon is playing tricks with words. Well maybe "one" is true. If you read his posts he lists the 3 rumors with #1 (though not actually numbered) is about Sam Jackson. We've heard nothing about Happy Hogan so I'm gonna assume Jon is playing Happy Hogan and Jon just decided to expand his role as perhaps his bodyguard or something for the Vegas scene. So John could still be Happy and not "JUST" a security guard. So the security guard rumor would be false. Swank accomodations could mean many things. Swank is a term commonly used with Hotels so who knows...maybe Hillary did them a favor and got a cameo in the film but is NOT an agent of shield. That's my guess.

So I still believe Sam is Nick Fury. Marvel needs to do these types of cameo crossovers to expose their characters.

I wonder if Favreau is purposely throwing all this around just so were surprised a little more when we see the film.
That was my first thought. Now i'm not so sure....i guess his tactic is working if that's what he's aiming for.:woot:
Swank accomodations could mean many things. Swank is a term commonly used with Hotels so who knows...maybe Hillary did them a favor and got a cameo in the film but is NOT an agent of shield. That's my guess.
Hillary Swank was spotted on set in Vegas by more than one person before Favreau made the Swank comment on his myspace blog.

Yeah but that doesn't mean she's an AGENT OF SHIELD does it. That's the rumor he's talking about.

Hmmm...very interesting if the Fury rumor is false. It's very odd that we know so little about this movie and its cast considering it's due out in 10 months, yet we can't go a day without a TDK casting announcement and it's coming out later.

get used to it. in 2008, tdk will get more coverage than anything by the media with the exception of indiana jones 4. i trust paramount. just have patience.

I don't know, maybe Favrea just dressed up as a security guard for some reason on set but doesn't actually appear in the movie. That was the case when Raimi dressed up as a sailor on the set of Spidey 3. AICN's news tends to be very reliable when one of their staff members is the source.

Its great to hear that a trailer will be at SDCC. Plus, whe talking about Sam Jackson and Swank as not being Shield agents, that can be looked at in many different ways, either their not in the movie or Sam Jackson is playing Nick Fury just not Nick Fury of Shield and Swank could be herself or playing another character, have to wait and see.

Alright, check this out.

We knew Swank was in this movie b/c of 2 posters at the IMDB boards; it became a topic at the MySpace group, and then Jon confirmed her presence hours later.

I went back to the original report, and found this:

IMDB poster said:
... Hillary Swank has a small cameo as a SHIELD AGENT im not sure which one but in the scene she was hanging on Tonys arm and talking about SHIELD. From what I heard it sounds like SHIELD is being created in this film...

What'dya know, Joe? Maybe Jon is indeed playing those word games he loves, and that Jackson and Swank are in the process of setting it up. I don't believe we can dismiss Jackson as Fury. (If you want to get particularly anal, he said "Shield" and not "S.H.I.E.L.D."... but who notices things like that? :woot:)

On a related note, I myself put 100% faith in AICN regarding this production. Not only did they break most of the major casting announcements, but they also got the first set visit. I believe "Moriarty", who broke the Jackson scoop, is based in SoCal same as the production, so he could know the spy personally. This reveal was too big to screw up, and this would be the first time they'd've dropped the ball regarding Iron Man, (Mandarin would not have been their fault.) Moriarty was adamant about it.

Further, Retroman is correct in that Harry, master of AICN, was a co-producer with Jon on John Carter of Mars before it went to Disney.

As far as Jon being Happy, that continues to be my hope. The blog which revealed the role made it sound as though it were a spur of the moment thing, but at the same time, it wasn't a first-hand account.

I think Jon is playing with his words. I think that S.H.I.E.L.D. isn't formed yet, so Sam and Hillary wouldn't be agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. They're probably trying to start it up.

Yeah, when you take it straight, the security guard one would be the truthful one, and that's PROBABLY the case, but there is a possibility that he's being clever with his words.

For example, let's just say that he plays Happy Hogan in the film because a lot of people have suggested that, and at some point in the movie Hogan dresses up as a security guard as some sort of disguise to help Tony out in some way. In that case Jon would NOT be playing a security guard. He would be playing Happy Hogan.... who is playing a security guard, but Jon himself wouldn't be playing that guard. See what I'm saying?

I mean I'm going to take what he said at face value for now, but I'm just saying it doesn't necessarily mean the guard thing is the true part.

get used to it. in 2008, tdk will get more coverage than anything by the media with the exception of indiana jones 4. i trust paramount. just have patience.

I'm not complaining, I just think it's interesting.

I like this guy, his updates and the apparent respect he has for the movie and the fans. I have a lot of faith in this movie.

D!

well keep in mind that given the way he phrased it there are two rumors, one is the swank/jackson agents of shield cameo and the second his appearance as a guard. he didn't treat them as three separate rumors, just two... so swank and jackson could be in it...

We know Swank was there, but we weren't sure who she was; guess she's not Maria Hill. And we do have pics of Jon as a Vegas security guard.

What's this about disagreements??

What's this about disagreements??
Many hardcore and vocal fans have a very strong opinion on "Ultimate" vs. "616" Fury, which has been sadly interpreted, correctly or not, as an argument of black vs. white Fury.

damn! all the things he said there were very dissapointing. No Jackson, no big villain? come on Favreau!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"