81st Annual Academy Awards

I had WALL-E on yesterday while doing homework, and then watched some of the special features on the Blu-Ray. Man, it really drove home how much that movie deserved to win Best Picture, and maybe even director and visual effects. I can watch that film a million times, and always feel the exact same emotions as if it were the first.

you're welcome. Albeit it being not propoganda and a story that needs to be told is more factual than opinion. The opinion is I liked it, though. :oldrazz:

I was actually just referring to the first two paragraphs. ;) I never personally thought it was a propaganda movie but I do think it was very much Oscar bait.

I would imagine that Renfro wasn't shown last year and Carlin wasn't this year because neither of them were members of the Academy. I may be wrong about that, but that's my guess.

Bernie Mac was a member of the Academy?

See, I don't know, which is why I said I was just guessing. I don't know who's a member or not a member, and what the requirements are to be mentioned in the farewell montage. The explanation was the most sensible one I could come up with.

I am so glad you put "IMO" at the end of that post, saves me replying. ;)

Me too, this is just how I look at it. When Penn was signed on to play Harvey Milk every movie site that releases buzz and news said the same thing. "Penn got an Oscar nod just signing on for this." So it was something that the Academy has an eye for from the get go. As for Mickey Rourke's, his performance was unexpected. I was routing for Mickey but I expected it to be between the two, Penn and Rourke. Don't get me wrong Penn was great but I loved Mickey's performance the most.

See, I don't know, which is why I said I was just guessing. I don't know who's a member or not a member, and what the requirements are to be mentioned in the farewell montage. The explanation was the most sensible one I could come up with.
Ok, I was actually asking 'cause I have no idea either... Though I'm guessing Bernie wasn't a memeber :woot:

Me too, this is just how I look at it. When Penn was signed on to play Harvey Milk every movie site that releases buzz and news said the same thing. "Penn got an Oscar nod just signing on for this." So it was something that the Academy has an eye for from the get go.
Yes, because the story is great for a movie, and it's a known fact that Penn is a phenomenal actor. Of course eyes were going to be on it. That's what happens when you put talent behind a production.

Yes, because the story is great for a movie, and it's a known fact that Penn is a phenomenal actor. Of course eyes were going to be on it. That's what happens when you put talent behind a production.

Which is why I think it was "Oscarbait" from the get go.

Which is why I think it was "Oscarbait" from the get go.
Ok, but is that really a bad thing? Because it seems to me like we're judging the film on intent, instead of execution.

Of the serious dramas, what qualifies as Oscar-bait?

I still thought it was a better movie than The Wrestler, which felt like it was centered on a great performance, but to me had not much else going for it.

I still thought it was a better movie than The Wrestler, which felt like it was centered on a great performance, but to me had not much else going for it.

Well, yes, Rourke was a huge part of the movie, but it was a character study first and foremost in my opinion. So the main character is going to take focus in direction and story. Still, though, the story, writing, style and direction (especially the direction to me) were very well done. It really brought the world of professional wrestling to life through the character. I was far more engaged with The Wrestler then with Milk. As far as predictability is concerned, I can agree with you to an extent, but it wasn't as predictable as movies like, say, Slumdog or Wall-E. Not to say the predictability of those movies hurt them, as I've always been of the opinion that a story should be judged by journey first, destination second.

Like I said earlier, I did enjoy Milk. It was heartfelt and it's message is relevant for the current times, but as a movie I can't say I really felt it was anything above just good.

Ok, but is that really a bad thing? Because it seems to me like we're judging the film on intent, instead of execution.

Of the serious dramas, what qualifies as Oscar-bait?

Who said it was a bad thing? Who's mind are you reading?

No, I just liked how no one saw Rourke coming and it was good to see him come back. I wanted him to win. That's the only judgement.

As for Milk being the better movie, no sh** it was better. It had a whole cast who could have been nominated.

On the topic of those omited in the memorial, cinematical.com is pretty angry

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/02/24/oscars-biggest-snub-not-honoring-don-lafontaine/

Yeah there were a few others.

One of my sisters pointed out that this one actress(can't remember her name)passed away last year and she was the last living actor/actress to have starred in a silent film.

Maybe they could have fit in a few more people if they cut down their worship of Paul Newman. He had two to three times as long of clips being shown.

I can't believe I totally forgot about Don LaFontaine! Moreover, I can't believe the Academy forgot. Talk about snubs. Now I feel like an ass for making such a big deal over The Dark Knight.

You would think with all the announcing and narrarating he's done they would remember him.

They probably forgot some others that weren't mentioned...

hahahha. oscars are a joke.

i was suprised that slumdog millionare didnt win special effects.
sarcasm.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but did it irritate anyone that whenever I movie won they didn't play cues from that movie? They only did it for Slumdog, but not a single movie otherwise.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but did it irritate anyone that whenever I movie won they didn't play cues from that movie? They only did it for Slumdog, but not a single movie otherwise.

I noticed that they didn't play music directly from the movies that won but also didn't notice or recognize the music for Slumdog since I haven't seen it yet.

When I see it on DVD this movie better be worth all the hype.

I'm watching the show, checking some bits, and I heard always the same music (so far for Slumdog, Wall-E, and Heath Ledger)... I don't think it's from Slumdog...

I noticed that they didn't play music directly from the movies that won but also didn't notice or recognize the music for Slumdog since I haven't seen it yet.

When I see it on DVD this movie better be worth all the hype.

They only did it for a couple awards that Slumdog won, it was mostly noticeable for the Score and Best Picture wins. But I mean, how far could it have been for them to play cues from The Reader, The Dark Knight, Benjamin Button or any other of the films that won awards? It was pretty lame.

They only did it for a couple awards that Slumdog won, it was mostly noticeable for the Score and Best Picture wins. But I mean, how far could it have been for them to play cues from The Reader, The Dark Knight, Benjamin Button or any other of the films that won awards? It was pretty lame.

I agree.

It was a nice change having past winners announce the nominess and all but I missed having them show footage of the performances to kind of show why they were nominated in the first place.

Part of it has to do with me being curious as to what scene they could have picked for Ledger. :woot:

I agree.

It was a nice change having past winners announce the nominess and all but I missed having them show footage of the performances to kind of show why they were nominated in the first place.

Part of it has to do with me being curious as to what scene they could have picked for Ledger. :woot:

I liked the new format too and yes, they should've shown clips. I was anticipating some Joker footage and was curious to see what scenes the Academy chose.

I would have picked the first scars scene for Ledger's clip had they shown bits of the performances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"