The 79th Annual Academy Awards

The type of people who would buy her alblum (American Idol junkies) are not exactly the same demographic as those who watch the Academy Awards (film snobs). Having "Academy Award Winner" on her CD probably won't matter all that much.

That's not the point. It's the added recognition that comes with the Oscar hoopla. Case and point? Jamie Foxx's album sucked donkey balls, but it sold through the roof thanks in part to smart marketing and timing; Foxx was hot and coming off the Ray wave.

That's not the point. It's the added recognition that comes with the Oscar hoopla. Case and point? Jamie Foxx's album sucked donkey balls, but it sold through the roof thanks in part to smart marketing and timing; Foxx was hot and coming off the Ray wave.

You're comparing an American Idol reject to Jamie Foxx? Apples and oranges my friened. If we were talking Eddie Murphy, I'd see your point but you can't really compare Hudson to Foxx. Besides, Ray got a lot more mainstream exposure than Dream Girls. On saturday, if you asked someone what Dream Girls was they'd probably respond "Jessica Alba".

Besides, Ray got a lot more mainstream exposure than Dream Girls. On saturday, if you asked someone what Dream Girls was they'd probably respond "Jessica Alba".

I highly doubt that. Considering the film made over $100 million.

Between Beyonce, Jamie, Murphy, and Hudson, Dreamgirls was FAR more in the public eye. Maybe not to you, but in black America everybody and their mother was talking about the film.

I highly doubt that. Considering the film made over $100 million.

Between Beyonce, Jamie, Murphy, and Hudson, Dreamgirls was FAR more in the public eye. Maybe not to you, but in black America everybody and their mother was talking about the film.

Don't turn this into a race thing. It decent money because of the Oscar buzz. Most Oscar movies do open slow and then show tremendous legs. Besides, you still can't compare Foxx to Hudson. Apples and Oranges.

Don't turn this into a race thing.

I'm not.

It decent money because of the Oscar buzz.

...And the good reviews and the music.

Besides, you still can't compare Foxx to Hudson. Apples and Oranges.

And I'm not trying to. The point is, the Oscar hoopla and attention she's receiving will help her album sell faster. It's not about "film snobs" or the specific people the Oscars are "targeted towards". It's all about that free advertising. It's the attention, and all the magazines that do stories on her. Jennifer Hudson is in the public spotlight, so now when she finally drops that album, more eyes will be on it. That's the point. Her winning an Oscar isn't a curse, because the fact is she's not going to try to translate that into this big huge serious acting career. I saw the press conference after the awards, and when she was asked what's next for her career, the first thing she said was "my album".

Honestly, if Hudson's album tanks, it's quite possible this Oscar win could be her peaking and she could fade into obscurity which is something not uncommon for Supporting Actress Winners.

And that, of course, is the key word.

Odds are pretty good that it will favor. How many American Idol rejects/winners have produced CDs? How many have succeeded?

Besides, even if it is a success...that could be even worse. Getting so much fame in such a short period of time is a bad thing. Look what it did to Lohan who is fairly talented

As of right now, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. I'm not sure if that Katherine McPhee chick outside of her hot looks is at all successful. The others have pretty much faded after their first albums.

Odds are pretty good that it will favor. How many American Idol rejects/winners have produced CDs? How many have succeeded?

How many TALENTED American Idol rejects/winners have produced CDs, is the better question. She's easily one of the most talented to come off the show (see that whole Best Supporting Actress thing as evidence). Not to mention the pipes. To try and begin comparing how she'll do based on the failures of, say, Justin Guarini is a bit silly. Between Chris Daughtry, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Clay Aiken, Fantasia, Ruben, I'd say Hudson's chances of success aren't half bad. Especially if she's marketed well, and especially considering everyone's already singing her praises (pun intended).

Besides, even if it is a success...that could be even worse. Getting so much fame in such a short period of time is a bad thing.

I can't see how that'd happen, though. She's 25. The girl isn't some teen idol that rises to immediate fame and then loses their friggin' minds because it IS too much for someone that young. Not to say it couldn't happen, it's just not all that likely.

Look what it did to Lohan who is fairly talented

Remember that whole Apples to Oranges thing? Yeah, well....;)

I'll must say this: The original Clouseau didn't win an Oscar, his temp replacement in INSPECTOR CLOUSEAU did. 'Nuff said about "justices" of the Academy Awards.

Doesn't that really get to you? That Peter Sellers NEVER won an Oscar, for performances far above the Sunshine pic, and Arkin wins an Oscar for such a film? Thats outrageous!

Oh, and Eddie Murphy got robbed. Majorly so! He was AWESOME, man!

Otherwise, I felt this year's Oscars were quite deserving. The winners deserved them, IMO...

Agreed, the clip they showed on The Tonight Show was much better IMO. I think it went
Whitaker
DiCaprio
Smith
Gosling
O'Toole

That's just on clips mind you. I really wish Leo was nominated I think his Departed performace could have had a chance against Forest.

No way! none of the other actors came close to Forest's acting as Amin. Have you seen TLKOS? I have and let me tell you, Whitaker commanded that role, hell, he even scared me a little, he was a pshychotic beast. The fart incident was hilarious.

As of right now, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. I'm not sure if that Katherine McPhee chick outside of her hot looks is at all successful. The others have pretty much faded after their first albums.

The only deserving american idol contestant was Chris Daughtry and he's having plenty of success with his fantastic album

So I am the only one bothered with Alan Arkin's win?

Thanks for the ignorance guys...

What are you talking about? people have been showing their distaste for Murphy losing out to Arkin for the past few pages. What can you do? thats the way the academy rolls. TBH I was more upset by Pan's Lab losing out on the foreign language award

Alan Arkin deserved it. Period. :o

OK.

Fact is, Eddie Murphy got robbed, largely. And I feel the rest of the night was fair and all, so there.

Still, isn't it annoying that Sellers never won? I mean, thats one disturbing irony...

OK.

Fact is, Eddie Murphy got robbed, largely. And I feel the rest of the night was fair and all, so there.

Still, isn't it annoying that Sellers never won? I mean, thats one disturbing irony...

Neither did Sidney Lumet, Alfred Hitchcock, Robert Altman, and tons of other talented people. It happens, it's not based on life time achievements, it's based on indiviual works, he was nominated 3 times so it's not like he was robbed.

Dude, Eddie Murphy gave the performance of A LIFETIME! He was the best in that category, by far. I hated Arkin in Sunshine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"